• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm off the Ball train.

TheMaulClaw

20 minutes ago, frankw said:

32 points from LaMelo in a 10 point loss and our young center we just drafted never even left the bench. Even if we get Wembanyama Cliff is just going to let him rot on the bench.

I mean everyone knew this was Steve Clifford’s deal and he was a lazy rehire and we deserve to pay the price for that.  I really wonder if the Hornets management even care anymore.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 1/8/2023 at 3:55 PM, TheMaulClaw said:

How are you using Magic here? Ball is no Magic.  Why is he even being compared to any of the greats? Kemba Walker was better.  Hell Kemba got us to the playoffs with the same coach we are seeing now.  Hell Gerald Wallace was better. Baron Davis was better.  Ball ranks about 19th on the best Hornets list if that.

Bro.  Perspective.  How old is Melo right now?  Now how old were all the other guys you mentioned when they started being who they became?  Kemba took YEARS to develop into the player he became, and I love me some Kemba.  Melo is barely 20.  10 years ago, he would probably still be in college or just out of it.  And he's already made all-star teams, logged multiple triple doubles as a teenager, and set a few records for stats achieved at the youngest age.= or damn near close to it (several of which he's at the top with Lebron).

Again, he is a guy that other players want to play with.  HE has the respect of some of the best in the league, and not just flash in the pan best, but some of the greatest talents of the last few generations like LeBron and Giannis.  Ball is the franchise.  He needs to be here and they need to bring in the pieces around him, especially if he wants them, to help him succeed.  Otherwise, youre going to be right back on this forum in 5 years ruminating on how we pissed away one of the great NBA talents for nothing as he wins an NBA Championship with the Lakers or Knicks or Heat, because our fans took him for granted and our team fuged it up like they usually do.

Relax.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:29 PM, Shocker said:

I mean everyone knew this was Steve Clifford’s deal and he was a lazy rehire and we deserve to pay the price for that.  I really wonder if the Hornets management even care anymore.

Yup.  And again, its where so much of the apathy comes from.  That was the laziest, most uninspired coaching search and then hire I think I've ever seen in all of pro sports.  Winning organizations just dont do that type of poo.  PERIOD.

All of us knew when they brought Clifford back what it was gonna be.  Man, look at what Bol and Bamba look like now without his sorry ass impeding their progress and development.  I was on this same board, and other Hornets boards 2 or 3 years ago saying we should trade for Bol because he wasnt getting burn and he could alleviate a lot of the problems that were ailing us with big that could shoot, space the floor, playmake, and protect the rim...

And yet, many of us diehards knew when they brought Clifford back, who was he gonna give all of the big minutes to?  Trusted, trash ass vet, Mason Plumlee.  Not develop young guys who have shown promise, like Richards, or a young guy who needs the minutes to develop and could ultimately be a great "defend and get out and run" big in a guy like Kai.  Nope, we're gonna pound all of your hopes and dreams into dust with ol' Plumlee.  Spacing?  What spacing?

Clifford is fuging garbage.  I have barely kept up with us or any basketball this year aside from the big headlines because draft night plus the Clifford rehire was just it for me.  I took it as a clear signal that if they dont care, I'm not gonna care either.  When they bring in a different coach, I'll be back investing my time, but until then, they can keep that poo.  And sadly, again, I feel so bad for anyone who thinks we have any fuging chance of landing Victor.  It aint happening.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

Bro.  Perspective.  How old is Melo right now?  Now how old were all the other guys you mentioned when they started being who they became?  Kemba took YEARS to develop into the player he became, and I love me some Kemba.  Melo is barely 20.  10 years ago, he would probably still be in college or just out of it.  And he's already made all-star teams, logged multiple triple doubles as a teenager, and set a few records for stats achieved at the youngest age.= or damn near close to it (several of which he's at the top with Lebron).

Again, he is a guy that other players want to play with.  HE has the respect of some of the best in the league, and not just flash in the pan best, but some of the greatest talents of the last few generations like LeBron and Giannis.  Ball is the franchise.  He needs to be here and they need to bring in the pieces around him, especially if he wants them, to help him succeed.  Otherwise, youre going to be right back on this forum in 5 years ruminating on how we pissed away one of the great NBA talents for nothing as he wins an NBA Championship with the Lakers or Knicks or Heat, because our fans took him for granted and our team fuged it up like they usually do.

Relax.

Like I said mentioned earlier Ball is a good player but he doesn't elevate the franchise beyond ticket sales. He has  nice handles and a passing game but is an absolute liability defensively and isn't a vocal warrior. Like I also mentioned there has been no time where he has had to elevate his game to win in high pressure moments at any point in his career. Australia was purely development.  All the other guys I mentioned have. Kemba doesn't have the talent that Ball has but he was a much better leader and the team played better around him.

On 1/14/2023 at 5:56 AM, Proudiddy said:

Yup.  And again, its where so much of the apathy comes from.  That was the laziest, most uninspired coaching search and then hire I think I've ever seen in all of pro sports.  Winning organizations just dont do that type of poo.  PERIOD.

All of us knew when they brought Clifford back what it was gonna be.  Man, look at what Bol and Bamba look like now without his sorry ass impeding their progress and development.  I was on this same board, and other Hornets boards 2 or 3 years ago saying we should trade for Bol because he wasnt getting burn and he could alleviate a lot of the problems that were ailing us with big that could shoot, space the floor, playmake, and protect the rim...

And yet, many of us diehards knew when they brought Clifford back, who was he gonna give all of the big minutes to?  Trusted, trash ass vet, Mason Plumlee.  Not develop young guys who have shown promise, like Richards, or a young guy who needs the minutes to develop and could ultimately be a great "defend and get out and run" big in a guy like Kai.  Nope, we're gonna pound all of your hopes and dreams into dust with ol' Plumlee.  Spacing?  What spacing?

Clifford is fuging garbage.  I have barely kept up with us or any basketball this year aside from the big headlines because draft night plus the Clifford rehire was just it for me.  I took it as a clear signal that if they dont care, I'm not gonna care either.  When they bring in a different coach, I'll be back investing my time, but until then, they can keep that poo.  And sadly, again, I feel so bad for anyone who thinks we have any fuging chance of landing Victor.  It aint happening.

Couldn’t agree more.  The Duren trade was incredibly frustrating for me as well.  I can’t figure out what in the hell the thinking is by Mitch.  Bouknight is an absolute bust and Jones barely gets any run either.  Hiring Clifford basically ensured we stay terrible with no development for our young players.  What could we possibly lose by playing these guys now?  Its mind boggling 

Edited by Shocker
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

If LaMelo's the 19th-best Hornets player of all time I'd sure as hell like to see the 18 in front of him 

I don't know if he is 19th but here you go. 

Mugsy Bogues. Larry Johnson. Alonzo Mourning. Baron Davis. Glenn Rice. Gerald Wallace. Al Jefferson. Kemba Walker. Miles Bridges (hate to have him here but it's true) . Terry Rozier is better then Ball. Dell Curry. Anthony Mason.   

I understand it's all subjective. Really Stephen Jackson was better as a hornet too.

Ball is a mid tier star. Good player with no understanding how to win. Guy just jacks up shots all the time.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I don't know if he is 19th but here you go. 

Mugsy Bogues. Larry Johnson. Alonzo Mourning. Baron Davis. Glenn Rice. Gerald Wallace. Al Jefferson. Kemba Walker. Miles Bridges (hate to have him here but it's true) . Terry Rozier is better then Ball. Dell Curry. Anthony Mason.   

I understand it's all subjective. Really Stephen Jackson was better as a hornet too.

Ball is a mid tier star. Good player with no understanding how to win. Guy just jacks up shots all the time.

Terry Rozier, on his best day, is half the player LaMelo is on his worst day. Stephen Jackson was a shot-jacking SG who couldn't touch LaMelo. Ditto Mason, a solid point-forward whose ceiling was a foundation below LaMelo's floor. 

I'm a fan of all those guys, but these are atrocious comparison. Muggsy averaged 7 points and 7 assists per game for his career. I've seen LaMelo do that in one quarter. He averages 19 points and 7 assists per game and this season, is averaging 23.5 ppg and 8 apg. 

Dell Curry was a great sixth man, but he's no LaMelo. That's like saying respected backup Josh McCown was better than MVP Cam Newton. 

Baron Davis was about 3/4 of LaMelo. 

Again, I'm a fan of everyone you mentioned, and some are my favorite players of all time. But just no.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

This describes Rozier to a T.

4 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Terry Rozier is better then Ball

I'm not as high on Ball as some, but no. Ball is younger and has a lot more time to improve. He's already just as consistent as Rozier when it comes to shooting and is a much better passer. Neither one of them plays defense worth a poo, but Rozier is slightly better there at this time.

4 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

This describes Rozier to a T.

I'm not as high on Ball as some, but no. Ball is younger and has a lot more time to improve. He's already just as consistent as Rozier when it comes to shooting and is a much better passer. Neither one of them plays defense worth a poo, but Rozier is slightly better there at this time.

Better question.  Are there 32 better players in the league right now?  I argue yes.

• 3 weeks later...

I never post here, but I watch the Hornet games casually.  He is a good player.  He passes, rebounds, and shoots pretty well.  He is still very young.  Although I do not like his decisions at times,  I think the supporting cast and coaches need upgrading.  Lotta unnecessary flash at times, and I do not know how good a teammate he is, but I see the biggest problem on this team is Gordon.  He's just a player/retiree, in my opinion.  Again, not a die hard fan--but this is what it looks like from my perch

• 4 weeks later...