• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

STEVE WILKS - FINAL POLL THREAD

Steve Wilks  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Steve Wilks as HC in 2023

2. 2. Grade Wilks as interem

2 hours ago, jopie87 said:

Got very close to an A grade. Last week, especially the 4th quarter last week was enough to not want him back. Any amount of aggressive calls last week and the team would be hosting a game next week. He coached timid, lost the game, lost the season, lost the job.

I agree with that, I put I want him back, thats kinda with a stipulation that we go through the full process and If he stands out, keep him, if not, cool.  I wont be disappointed whichever way we decide to go coaching wise.

11 minutes ago, SZ James (banned) said:

Kinda weird that the majority voted “B” and “No”

I'm one of those. I think he did a B-level job with what was available to him, my reasoning for no is I think he'd do a B-level job regardless of the personnel. I don't like his coaching style/philosophy.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I'm one of those. I think he did a B-level job with what was available to him, my reasoning for no is I think he'd do a B-level job regardless of the personnel. I don't like his coaching style/philosophy.

my prob is: is there a realistic Grade "A" hire out there that we should cut him for?

if so who is it?

Wilks appears to be a decent chap, who also happens to be a capable motivator of young men.  He is clearly heads and shoulders above Matt Rhule when it comes to coaching in the NFL. 

Having said all that, I'm skeptical of any coach that chooses to punt, rather than to attempt a first down, (twice) when the ball is near midfield with one yard to go.  This is especially true when the game, season and the coach's future job prospects are all on the line.  An ultra conservative approach, especially when Tom Brady is your opponent, isn't a game winning formula (shades of SB Atlanta Falcons).  Being risk adverse in critical moments (that often shift game momentum) simply doesn't bode well for the team's future playoff prospects. 

Bottom line:  Hard pass on any coach that makes Ron Rivera look like a riverboat gambler.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 3

19 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Having said all that, I'm skeptical of any coach that chooses to punt, rather than to attempt a first down, (twice) when the ball is near midfield with one yard to go.  This is especially true when the game, season and the coach's future job prospects are all on the line.  An ultra conservative approach, especially when Tom Brady is your opponent, isn't a game winning formula (shades of SB Atlanta Falcons).  Being risk adverse in critical moments (that often shift game momentum) simply doesn't bode well for the team's future playoff prospects. 

Bottom line:  Hard pass on any coach that makes Ron Rivera look like a riverboat gambler.

This. I was all for Wilks until this game. In the game of the season with everything on the line, he choked. I would rather fail with an unproven offensive minded coach than endure the mediocrity that comes with that conservative style of coaching.  

• Beer 3