• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

HC Candidate List

Bear Hands

17 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

To add to OP:

Demeco Ryans

ad956e9d94a20b5459ac5e3f20932ac8

Current Gig: 49ers DC

College LB, Pro LB (9 years), Pro-Coach 6 years (2 years DC)

https://www.49ers.com/team/coaches-roster/demeco-ryans

I have heard on a few outlets that teams love Demeco and he's received very high praise around multiple circles.  He may be one of the types that is an even better HC than simply a defense or offense guy.  Key with him is who his offensive minds would be.

Jerod Mayo

/cdn-cgi/mirage/4fda261b88452d690c69ccb78db5a3777ea223836bfbd5ef75904a4094de81fe/1280/https://bdc2020.o0bc.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Jerod-Mayo-1.14-61e18df92f66e-scaled.jpg

https://www.patriots.com/team/coaches-roster/jerod-mayo

Current Gig: Patriots LB Coach

College LB, Career Captain, Pro LB (7 years), LB Coach (4 years)

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/jerod-mayo-one-of-flms-5-under-the-radar-hc-candidates

Didn’t know we were allowed to talk about quality candidates around here. 

20 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

I gotta say, this just feels SOOOOOO much more damn promising than the 2019 batch of Mike McCarthy, Matt Rhule, Josh McDaniels, & Rob Ryan

That’s because the NFL fails to engage in diverse hiring practices. Nobody told y’all to look at those bums.  

13 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Right now if I had to rank them from my perspective. 

1. Steichen

2. Dorsey

3. Johnson

4. Wilks

5. Ryans

6. Reich

7.  Kafka

8. Caldwell

Really liking Steichen the more and more I learn about him.

I have heard nothing bad about either Steichen or Johnson.

1. Steichen / Johnson

2. Kafka

3. Dorsey

4. Ryans

5. Reich

The rest I just hope are not coaching here next year.

20 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

To add to OP:

Demeco Ryans

ad956e9d94a20b5459ac5e3f20932ac8

Current Gig: 49ers DC

College LB, Pro LB (9 years), Pro-Coach 6 years (2 years DC)

https://www.49ers.com/team/coaches-roster/demeco-ryans

I have heard on a few outlets that teams love Demeco and he's received very high praise around multiple circles.  He may be one of the types that is an even better HC than simply a defense or offense guy.  Key with him is who his offensive minds would be.

Jerod Mayo

Jerod-Mayo-1.14-61e18df92f66e-scaled.jpg

https://www.patriots.com/team/coaches-roster/jerod-mayo

Current Gig: Patriots LB Coach

College LB, Career Captain, Pro LB (7 years), LB Coach (4 years)

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/jerod-mayo-one-of-flms-5-under-the-radar-hc-candidates

added to OP

3 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Why would that be the ceiling?

It’s the style of play he wants. Wilks is a great leader, but he likes the Fox/Rivera run the ball and lean on your defense (which makes sense since that’s his specialty). He has shown a play not to lose/conservative style which I’m not a fan of. If he can bring a great OC with him then I’m ok with it. I just don’t know if we could retain a great OC.

• Pie 1

Nick Carboni talks to Indianapolis Star reporter Joel Erickson about Frank Reich...

Among the things Erickson mentioned...

- Colts owner Jim Irsay fired Reich specifically because he wanted to hire Jeff Saturday. Erickson says in fact that if Saturday had turned down the job, Irsay would not have fired Reich.

- Erickson further states that the decision to bench Matt Ryan and elevate Sam Ehlinger wasn't made by Reich, but was mandated by Irsay. Ehlinger himself has since admitted that he wasn't really ready to start.

- Asked about what Reich values in an offense, Erickson says he's"multiple". He wants to be able to attack multiple ways so that if one thing isn't working, they can go to something else.

- Also said Reich is "beloved" by players and feels at least some of his failure is attributable to the front office failing to properly support him

- And finally, in regard to the quarterback situations with the Colts, Erickson feels that Reich actually got a lot more out of what he was given than some others could have

I'll say this: Reich may not get the head coaching job, but I'd absolutely love to have him on staff as an OC or in some capacity

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nick Carboni talks to Indianapolis Star reporter Joel Erickson about Frank Reich...

Among the things Erickson mentioned...

- Colts owner Jim Irsay fired Reich specifically because he wanted to hire Jeff Saturday. Erickson says in fact that if Saturday had turned down the job, Irsay would not have fired Reich.

- Erickson further states that the decision to bench Matt Ryan and elevate Sam Ehlinger wasn't made by Reich, but was mandated by Irsay. Ehlinger himself has since admitted that he wasn't really ready to start.

- Asked about what Reich values in an offense, Erickson says he's"multiple". He wants to be able to attack multiple ways so that if one thing isn't working, they can go to something else.

- Also said Reich is "beloved" by players and feels at least some of his failure is attributable to the front office failing to properly support him

- And finally, in regard to the quarterback situations with the Colts, Erickson feels that Reich actually got a lot more out of what he was given than some others could have

I'll say this: Reich may not get the head coaching job, but I'd absolutely love to have him on staff as an OC or in some capacity

i know people want youth, and to a degree i do too...but what i think is more wanted is adaptability. someone who isn't stuck in their ways and is constantly evolving from where they are. i think that reich is that and if tepper decides that wilks should be the HC, i really hope that reich is the OC because i think that will give us what we've been wanting and lacking. one thing wilks seems to be able to do well is avoid micromanaging. he lets his coordinators do their job their way and trust them to get the job done. because of reich's age, i don't think that there'd be many more people coming after him to HC so we likely wouldn't have to worry about him being poached, which is another issue people have with keeping wilks and making sure he gets a good OC guy.

• Pie 2