• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance?

tukafan21

I am 100% completely and utterly ok with us doing more than the "bare minimum" to upgrade QB This offseason. Just like we should have still drafted Fields after getting Darnold. You 100% should be ok drafting one at 9 even if you get one in FA or via trade. 

Only exception is if we trade for Lamar, then we won't a.) have draft picks and b.) won't need a QB

19 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Going from NDSU to Kyle Shannahan is not just jumping from FCS to the NFL, but a much bigger leap. IF it was a day 3 pick(s) going back to SF, I'd take a shot on Lance. He was a number three overall that SF gave up A LOT for. 

Yes he was injured and didn't look the greatest in his limited time. I think the experience, film room and locker room that Lance was in can't be quantified. Someone will benefit from SF taking on the liability and growing pains. 

Lance also turned 22 last May....he was always a developmental QB that needed patience.

I bet Steichen/Kafka would love to have Lance in the fold here in Carolina.

Lance also looked better through the equivalent amount of games played than Fields did. Now Fields appears to actually be a dude.

I am all for trading for Lance for a 2nd or lower draft pick. It's likely a far better option than we could draft with those picks.

However, we would still need a GOOD veteran(as in not Sam Darnold). Lance may not be 100% ready for prime time and he also can't stay healthy. Corral well.....I mean...only the most "special" of our posters believes in that fantasy. 

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Lance also looked better through the equivalent amount of games played than Fields did. Now Fields appeara to actually be a dude.

I am all for trading for Lance for a 2nd or lower draft pick. It's likely a far better option than we could draft with those picks.

However, we would still need a GOOD veteran(as in not Sam Darnold). Lance may not be 100% ready for prime time and he also can't stay healthy. Corral well.....I mean...only the most "special" of our posters believes in that fantasy. 

A 2nd for Lance and sign Brissett to a 1-2 year deal sounds pretty fair to me.  Brissett could hold down the offense until Lance is ready.  If we end up with Reich (not my top choice) he would have some familiarity with Brissett.

• Beer 1

I think Lance is getting a bit too much flack, as he looked standard bad, not out of his league bad, but it is interesting to see what happened to the picks San Fran used to move up for him.  

Their original pick 12 changed hands a few times, but ultimately, DAL got it and took: Micah Parsons (all-pro)

R1 22 - Cole Strange (starter)

R3 22 - Matt Corral (lol)

R1 23 - Pick 30 2023 TBD

Note: Dolphins essentially flipped the Micah Parson pick for Tyreek Hill.  Shows how much teams covet the QB position at the end of the day, even the squads that are seemingly good every year.  SF gave up a lot for both Lance and CMC and are somehow still rocking with Shanahan.  Goes back to landing the right coach first and foremost and just getting him the guy he thinks can run his offense.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I think Lance is getting a bit too much flack, as he looked standard bad, not out of his league bad, but it is interesting to see what happened to the picks San Fran used to move up for him.  

Their original pick 12 changed hands a few times, but ultimately, DAL got it and took: Micah Parsons (all-pro)

R1 22 - Cole Strange (starter)

R3 22 - Matt Corral (lol)

R1 23 - Pick 30 2023 TBD

Note: Dolphins essentially flipped the Micah Parson pick for Tyreek Hill.  Shows how much teams covet the QB position at the end of the day, even the squads that are seemingly good every year.  SF gave up a lot for both Lance and CMC and are somehow still rocking with Shanahan.  Goes back to landing the right coach first and foremost and just getting him the guy he thinks can run his offense.  

Bingo.  We put too much focus on players and not the people coaching, game planning and calling the plays and managing the games.  We got to nail the HC coaching search FIRST and then worry about the roster.  However, it would be nice to pair a new offensive minded HC with Lance if the asking price is reasonable.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Bingo.  We put too much focus on players and not the people coaching, game planning and calling the plays and managing the games.  We got to nail the HC coaching search FIRST and then worry about the roster.  However, it would be nice to pair a new offensive minded HC with Lance if the asking price is reasonable.

We are so focused on the coaching search that we have already been interviewing defensive coordinators without a head coach in place!

Think About It GIF by Identity

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We are so focused on the coaching search that we have already been interviewing defensive coordinators without a head coach in place!

Think About It GIF by Identity

Yep, which is the tell that they really want an offensive guy as HC.  Not that a defensive HC is completely out of the question, but the top of the list has to go completely wrong for that to happen.  Johnson staying in Detroit was the first hit, and the Saints asking a higher price for us for Payton than other teams likely knocks him out.  Wilks may end up getting this job by default.