• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Coach Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ricky Spanish

I think our best move is Steichen but Payton being 2nd. 

Steichen will have a full set of draft picks and I think that will be key in the decision.

I think if we hire Payton it is going to be based on whether he thinks Corral will be his QB.  If Payton thinks he can work Corral into our starting QB than we will trade this years pick to New Orleans.  New Orleans will not be happy if he comes to Carolina and I don't think they'll accept our 2024 pick.  They'll want 2023 but if we could somehow give up next year's pick than that makes hiring Payton much more realistic.   

I prefer Steichen.

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think our best move is Steichen but Payton being 2nd. 

Steichen will have a full set of draft picks and I think that will be key in the decision.

I think if we hire Payton it is going to be based on whether he thinks Corral will be his QB.  If Payton thinks he can work Corral into our starting QB than we will trade this years pick to New Orleans.  New Orleans will not be happy if he comes to Carolina and I don't think they'll accept our 2024 pick.  They'll want 2023 but if we could somehow give up next year's pick than that makes hiring Payton much more realistic.   

I prefer Steichen.

You and Matt Corral hahaha

32 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

You and Matt Corral hahaha

Unlike you I don't focus on one thing, yours being drafting a QB in round one just to say we have a round one QB.

Corral has to be in the discussion with our new HC.  Whether they believe he has skills to be a starting QB or not. If you have a HC that believes Corral has what it takes than it gives the franchise the opportunity to use our picks on other positions of needs.

Steichen, Payton and Reich are great with QBs.  Any of these coaches, two are my favorites to win the job, can take a young QB and develop him. 

Do I want Corral to succeed, absolutely.  Do I think getting a coach that can work with him is the right move, yes.  

Yours is drafted a QB at all cost. 

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

Not sure Wilks gets to keep Holcomb if he stays, though I realize he prefers that. If I’m Tepper and settle on Wilks, he would need to hire 2 new coordinators. Something along the lines of Reich and Fangio would work. 

As always, if you are having to force coaches on your head coach, he doesn't need to be your head coach.

• Pie 2

44 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Unlike you I don't focus on one thing, yours being drafting a QB in round one just to say we have a round one QB.

Corral has to be in the discussion with our new HC.  Whether they believe he has skills to be a starting QB or not. If you have a HC that believes Corral has what it takes than it gives the franchise the opportunity to use our picks on other positions of needs.

Steichen, Payton and Reich are great with QBs.  Any of these coaches, two are my favorites to win the job, can take a young QB and develop him. 

Do I want Corral to succeed, absolutely.  Do I think getting a coach that can work with him is the right move, yes.  

Yours is drafted a QB at all cost. 

I gotta be honest, if the question of how to develop Matt Corral comes up during any of these interviews, we can just go ahead and consider this franchise as doomed.

No 3rd round QB that has never played an NFL game should ever factor into something as important as a head coaching interview. 

• Pie 7

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I gotta be honest, if the question of how to develop Matt Corral comes up during any of these interviews, we can just go ahead and consider this franchise as doomed.

No 3rd round QB that has never played an NFL game should ever factor into something as important as a head coaching interview. 

Wrong

If a new head coach believes that he can make a 3rd round QB his starter than it would definitely be something we would consider in hiring a head coach.

Payton would definitely be a good one for Corral and I believe Steichen would also do well with him. 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

But you know that question is most likely going to be asked.

Edited by glenwo2

18 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Wrong

If a new head coach believes that he can make a 3rd round QB his starter than it would definitely be something we would consider in hiring a head coach.

Payton would definitely be a good one for Corral and I believe Steichen would also do well with him. 

I am glad that it is highly unlikely anyone in our organization has that point of view.

Steichen has relied on facing the worst defenses in the NFL, leaning on one of the better defenses in the NFL, and scoring 20+ points in the 2nd quarter while being shut out consistently in 2 to 3 quarters per game. The Eagles offense from a coaching perspective is extremely volatile. It looks a lot like the Mike Shula offense that ran up the score in 2nd quarters to go 15-1 during the season, and went flat as soon as that offense hit a good NFL defense in the playoffs.

Are we hoping Steichen is the best of Rob Chudzinski, Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn and Norv Turner? A coach that is the product of the Seifert, Fox, Rivera and Wilks coaching lines? It's no wonder the Eagles offense resembles the Panthers 2015 15-1 offense. An offense that can pile up the points on a weak defense in the playoffs and then struggles when the buzz saw that is a top NFL defense gets in the way.

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Steichen has relied on facing the worst defenses in the NFL, leaning on one of the better defenses in the NFL, and scoring 20+ points in the 2nd quarter while being shut out consistently in 2 to 3 quarters per game. The Eagles offense from a coaching perspective is extremely volatile. It looks a lot like the Mike Shula offense that ran up the score in 2nd quarters to go 15-1 during the season, and went flat as soon as that offense hit a good NFL defense in the playoffs.

Are we hoping Steichen is the best of Rob Chudzinski, Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn and Norv Turner? A coach that is the product of the Seifert, Fox, Rivera and Wilks coaching lines? It's no wonder the Eagles offense resembles the Panthers 2015 15-1 offense. An offense that can pile up the points on a weak defense in the playoffs and then struggles when the buzz saw that is a top NFL defense gets in the way.

You are aware that this narrative you are pushing is going to look very silly if the Eagles win this weekend, right?

1 hour ago, CPantherKing said:

Aren't you the guy who was pounding the table for Leftwich? How that turn out?

• Flames 1