• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is mediocrity so attractive?

Ivan The Awesome

9 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

I have been impressed with Steichen as well and am now feeling he would be worth taking a chance on. We took a chance with Rhule and it turned out awful but Steichen has pro experience with success and could be the piece of the puzzle we need of we can combine him with a very solid QB

You also forgot 2 #1 WR's, a top 10 rb, and the best Oline in football.

Don't ignore the roster he has. Those guys are loaded he's just making the right calls. Those calls might not look as great with a lesser roster.

Just sayin...

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Don't ignore the roster he has. Those guys are loaded he's just making the right calls. Those calls might not look as great with a lesser roster.

Just sayin...

He looked pretty good without AJB last year when Hurts wasn't thought to be all that special, he looked great with the chargers.  But the most offensive thing stated here is thinking Miles Sanders is a top 10 RB.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Just sayin...

I agree but I don't know anyone else other than Wilks or The jerk Payton to go with. Reich proved he is head coach material for awhile as well so I guess him too. I realize Steichen has a great roster but I almost feel like maybe he is worth taking a chance on. Who do you like?

3 hours ago, rippadonn said:

"The Carolina Panthers are a bottom feeder NFL franchise. We're barely even "mediocre".

I agreed until there and I fell off the track. One of the best coaches anywhere in football Mr. Jim Harbaugh had the Panthers as 1a,b if he was to leave Michigan. Like Harbaugh or not the fact that he WANTED this job above many others proves that this is a great job and a great location and until Tepper mismanagement a proud middle of the pack, sometimes good/great team.

The Tepper years make us look like bottom feeders. His ineptitude is being projected onto a once proud franchise. He shouldn't be searching when the right guy basically walked up to the door, but you're looking over his shoulder at Sean. Smh.

We're not getting Harbaugh. Stop.

7 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I've been doing some critical thinking. It seems that most fans are ready to go back to mediocrity. I include myself in this. Yes what Wilks did was nothing short of amazing. But if you really think about it. He went 6-6.  The guy before the fraud we had at HC was that. Mediocre. It's a reccuring theme it seems. Look at buffalo. Another Rivera tree product is up there and they are a playoffs team loaded with talent with a franchise QB and they.. can't.  Get. Over. The. Hump.  We're seeing it play out. Daboll left and all of a sudden the Bills aren't as good in offense. McDermott is still there but I digress. 

Honestly it's time to move on from the same thing that this team does over and over and over again and expects different outcomes. Yeah we'll be a playoffs team, sure it will be a good story to see Wilks that's from Charlotte have success but the writing is on the wall, he comes from that same tree of mediocrity. I for one am tired of that. It's time to go a different direction. No I don't want Payton. Or Dorsey. Steichen is the guy. Sirianni told him to take over and Hurts is basically an MVP candidate all of a sudden. He's the guy.  /Rant over. 

Has the exact conversation with a friend the other night. If you want Wilks then you better be in the camp who also thought we should have kept Rivera. 

That’s fine…Rivera is a good coach. Wilks will be too. But neither have shown they have what it takes to be transcendent. Someone please tell me the last time a guy got hired essentially as a first time head coach at age 53? He’d be like the 5th oldest coach in the league during his first year as our HC. 

And I’ll say it again…The game that sealed it for me was the Bucs game. It was a must win (could have won) situation and the worst unit on the field was his specialty (the secondary). They got absolutely torched and we lost bc of it. If that’s his MO and he can’t take over that unit and fix the scheme when Darnold was actually playing well for once..then no he shouldn’t get the job.

I put zero stock in the players wanting him as HC. Players don’t want a coach like Belichick or maybe even Sean Payton…they’re grinders. Guess who else the players really liked up until he was fired? Matt Rhule. “Players coach.” They went to bat for him week after week…and he sucked.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

This whole idea that we will be mediocre under Wilkes was manufactured by the huddle and now accepted as fact. Wilkes was conservative but was that by design or necessity? Did we run because it was our strength or because our qbs sucked throwing it and our line struggled in pass blocking early? What would he do if he had a great OC and a staff he picked. If he could build a team his way what would it be,? If he turned Rhules misfits into a competent team with half a staff, key injuries defensively, and a revolving door of quarterbacks and still go 6-6, I would let you have 2 years to complete the turnaround. Even a new coach would need a year or two to turn things around and would want a 5 year contract. It isn't mediocre it is the best route to a winning season next year.

It’s not hard to use the defenses he has led in the past combined with his job leading the team this year to determine his future tendencies will be the same. He called conservative soft defenses (for defensive units stacked with talent).  And he’s not considered conservative because we shifted to a run first team, that was smart because our line and rbs were better than the qb. He’s conservative because of the decisions he made in the game. Not going for it on 4th down when he should, coaching not to lose, taking his foot off the gas, etc.  We’ve seen this movie before and it leads to mediocrity. 

24 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

It’s not hard to use the defenses he has led in the past combined with his job leading the team this year to determine his future tendencies will be the same. He called conservative soft defenses (for defensive units stacked with talent).  And he’s not considered conservative because we shifted to a run first team, that was smart because our line and rbs were better than the qb. He’s conservative because of the decisions he made in the game. Not going for it on 4th down when he should, coaching not to lose, taking his foot off the gas, etc.  We’ve seen this movie before and it leads to mediocrity. 

You don't have enough to know what he will do. Each place you go is different. What we do know is he can get the most out of his players. That is what a head coach does. Everyone is so enamored for an offensive minded coordinator with no head coach experience, they forget it often takes years to turn things around while they learn on the job. And they won't be the coordinator so all their experience isn't useful unless they call their own plays which is a recipe for disaster.

18 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You don't have enough to know what he will do. Each place you go is different. What we do know is he can get the most out of his players. That is what a head coach does. Everyone is so enamored for an offensive minded coordinator with no head coach experience, they forget it often takes years to turn things around while they learn on the job. And they won't be the coordinator so all their experience isn't useful unless they call their own plays which is a recipe for disaster.

I’d rather go 0-17 next year with a new HC that will grow and improve than 7-10 for the next five years before we start looking for another HC.  I’ve seen enough of what he’s done in the past here as DC, secondary coach and HC this year to know that the chances of him all of a sudden learning how to put games away are slim to none. Not to mention keeping Holcomb as DC if he stays is its own recipe for disaster. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Exactly.

People want the shiny new coach who has a great roster. Not realizing that roster wont be coming with him to Carolina.

What we know about Wilks is he can take a average QB and go .500

Who's to say he can't improve with a better QB?

Be careful what you wish for people. Those coaches look good because they also have a loaded roster. We don't have that in Carolina. Just sayin...

We will if we load the roster.The shiny new is desired over the tired re-tread.

2 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

We're not getting Harbaugh. Stop.

I know we're on the road to Jetsville but I don't have to go down that road with the unwise singing in unison. The Jets like to hire "new hots" and not guys like Payton or Harbaugh.

That's the reason we'll all sit here 20yrs while Tepper and the "new hot" "flip the applecart" crowd will soon be on to their next "new hot" coach in another three years and he'll get the next "new hot" coordinator to replace the last guy.

Sorry, I don't trust Tepper and company with this decision they don't create their destiny they wait for scraps, indecisive, erratic and go along as if blindfolded.