• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

8 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

who do you want?

I don't think there is a great coach that is available right now.  I would say Payton but the Saints want too much and Tepper is only looking for yesmen.  

The better question I would go with would be who I can I deal with? If I have to chose between Reich and Wilks I'd probably go Wilks.  It's not that I think he would take us to greater heights then Reich but because he earned the opportunity.

Smaller learning curve for the players with Wilks, conversely Wilks also has more familiarity with our players. The players love him. Also we got a chance to see improvement with Wilks at the helm.  Reich, we know nothing.

I would reluctantly take Reich if Wilks didn't find a new DC and OC.

I just feel like we all know what's going to happen if we hire Reich.  We are going to end up with Carr.

We need a coach who can deliver a big time game plan in big games and I just don't think it's out there right now.

I know I probably would have explored Harbaugh a bit more.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

While I was hoping Steichen would get a second interview (and he may yet still), it is interesting that he went through the initial rounds with three teams (Carolina, Indy, Houston), and as of now, it doesn't look like anyone was impressed enough to want to include him in their second/final round. Now obviously, I'm just assuming here given he can't even interview until after Sunday, so maybe he will get a second look from Carolina or Indy. 

Just seems like he didn't quite blow anyone away enough for them to put their search in a holding pattern (compared to a guy like Ryans who's being mentioned as one of the top two candidates in Houston and Denver).

Edited by UNCrules2187

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

again, if we totally discount ss from being a candidate from one zoom interview then we deserve every shitty thing that comes our way

Isn't that basically what we did with everybody else?

That's how the first rounds of these interviews work.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I would find that incredibly hard to believe

Okay say that is truly the case.  Would you outright dismiss him from rd2 of interviews?

haha yes. There is a reason there is a first round of interview. It's to see if they are worth the second round of interviews. You use the first round to limit your candidate pool for the second stage. Im pretty sure these first round interviews are personality checks, background checks, and their long term vision. 

If you downright did not agree with someone's approach to their job- would you spend time finding a reason to hire them? Dont say yes. Bc we all know you wouldnt based on your communication style on this forum. You kick ideas to the curb faster than Baker's career faceplant.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I don't think there is a great coach that is available right now.  I would say Payton but the Saints want too much and Tepper is only looking for yesmen.  

The better question I would go with would be who I can I deal with? If I have to chose between Reich and Wilks I'd probably go Wilks.  It's not that I think he would take us to greater heights then Reich but because he earned the opportunity.

Smaller learning curve for the players with Wilks, conversely Wilks also has more familiarity with our players. The players love him. Also we got a chance to see improvement with Wilks at the helm.  Reich, we know nothing.

I would reluctantly take Reich if Wilks didn't find a new DC and OC.

I just feel like we all know what's going to happen if we hire Reich.  We are going to end up with Carr.

We need a coach who can deliver a big time game plan in big games and I just don't think it's out there right now.

I know I probably would have explored Harbaugh a bit more.

You bring Harbaugh back to the NFL the world knows you mean business.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, UNCrules2187 said:

While I was hoping Steichen would get a second interview (and he may yet still), it is interesting that he went through the initial rounds with three teams (Carolina, Indy, Houston), and as of now, it doesn't look like anyone was impressed enough to want to include them in their second/final round. Now obviously, I'm just assuming here given he can't even interview until after Sunday, so maybe he will get a second look from Carolina or Indy. 

Just seems like he didn't quite blow anyone away from them to put their search in a holding pattern (compared to a guy like Ryans who's being mentioned as one of the top two candidates in Houston and Denver).

He cannot interview until next week.  We have no idea of knowing what the other teams think of him.  The only thing we have is that Ben A "heard" the first one didnt go well for us. Whatever the fug that means

plus I just saw we were the last of his 3 interviews in 2 days. I seriously seriously doubt he was unprepared by that point

Portraying that you are unprepared vs being unprepared are two different things. He could have been prepared like the rest but his plan was not effective for the job. 

You can practice being the best basketball player all of your life, doesnt mean you will be.

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

Couldn't resist.

What were they even trying to accomplish here?  Why flex the o-linemen out wide?  Nobody thinks they're going to catch a pass.  Has anybody actually said what this play was supposed to accomplish, had it been successful?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

haha yes. There is a reason there is a first round of interview. It's to see if they are worth the second round of interviews. You use the first round to limit your candidate pool for the second stage. Im pretty sure these first round interviews are personality checks, background checks, and their long term vision. 

If you downright did not agree with someone's approach to their job- would you spend time finding a reason to hire them? Dont say yes. Bc we all know you wouldnt based on your communication style on this forum. You kick ideas to the curb faster than Baker's career faceplant.

Yes I would still fly in the hottest coaching candidate down for a second interview to give them the benefit of the doubt, thats if the story is true, which I guess we will see.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

Portraying that you are unprepared vs being unprepared are two different things. He could have been prepared like the rest but his plan was not effective for the job. 

You can practice being the best basketball player all of your life, doesnt mean you will be.

one thing is for sure, we will find out based on if he comes and if he interviews with other teams

• Pie 1

He cannot interview until next week.  We have no idea of knowing what the other teams think of him.  The only thing we have is that Ben A "heard" the first one didnt go well for us. Whatever the fug that means

I mean I literally said I'm assuming since he can't interview until next week. But we've heard that Ryans is a top candidate in Houston and Denver and they're not rushing their second round before they can speak with him. Haven't heard any of those sorts of rumblings for Steichen (yet).

Just now, joemac said:

What were they even trying to accomplish here?  Why flex the o-linemen out wide?  Nobody thinks they're going to catch a pass.  Has anybody actually said what this play was supposed to accomplish, had it been successful?

I watched the replay of that play with the all angles from NFL.com. The actual draw up of the play made sense, it was the execution. For some reason Dak waited a half second too long to throw that ball, and threw it off balance... so the ball went high and inside. It was the throw that fuged it all up. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

No it's because he has mediocre results as an HC.  We also just watched the Colts do the same thing at QB we have done except on steroids.

This is one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen. 

Pete Carroll was fired before winning a SB with another team.

Jon Gruden was traded before winning a SB with another team.

Bill Belichick was fired before winning multiple SBs with another team.

Andy Reid was fired before winning a SB with another team.

Mike Shanahan was fired as HC of the Rams before winning two SBs with the Broncos. 

• Pie 1