• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Reich potential staff

hepcat

9 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Brian Baker is already in Charlotte at UNCC and a Reich staffer.  I could see him sliding in on defense positionally.

I know the Fangio push is big and apparent, but I really wouldn't mind Marquan Manuel as DC.  He also played here, knows Charlotte.  Did great back when for Quinn in ATL and is in charge of the best DB room in the league in Philly.  They had to deal with some injuries but were still #1.  

Unsure if he even knows Reich directly but it seems we vetted the top DC candidates, and wouldn't mind a Giants approach where it's not necessarily all buddy-buddy.  More a meeting of the budding minds.

Offense:

Given he fired Marcus Brady, doubt he'd be the frontrunner for OC.  I do like Duce Staley.  

Jason Michael is my darkhorse for OC.  Reich worked with him in SD, he left with Ken for TN, and eventually made it onto Reich's Colts staff.  Has OC experience--he was the one that faked out people and made Mettenberger and Whitehurst look respectable; then coached up Mariota's best season.  He was only like 29/30 years old then so he has a TON of career ahead of him and sounds like he's got Reich's favorability. Where is he now? TE Coach for the Eagles.  

Brain baker was here 2009-2010 as DL coach and it was sad....... That was aaaa long time ago and people can improve. But it was rough.

Brother I want to say, you increased the forum bears IQ since you came here. Keep it up!

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 2

Not surprising the 2 up and coming guys Kris Richard and Marquand Manuel were around Seattle when Fitt was there. Not sure if those were completely independent of Reich and just suggestions to offer him or what.  Kris Richard would be interesting, definitely an upgrade over Holcomb. Dunno much about Manuel

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Not surprising the 2 up and coming guys Kris Richard and Marquand Manuel were around Seattle when Fitt was there. Not sure if those were completely independent of Reich and just suggestions to offer him or what.  Kris Richard would be interesting, definitely an upgrade over Holcomb. Dunno much about Manuel

I like both Kris Richard and Manuel. Fill up two defense spots with both. 

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

Yeppp

I'm digging going in this type of direction at DC while getting the real experienced staff as positional coaches for fundamentals coaching.  We've got one of the youngest rosters.  Would love to see a blend of up and comers with upside at coordinator with the experienced guys (who have that experience) as position coaches.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Yeppp

I'm digging going in this type of direction at DC while getting the real experienced staff as positional coaches for fundamentals coaching.  We've got one of the youngest rosters.  Would love to see a blend of up and comers with upside at coordinator with the experienced guys (who have that experience) as position coaches.  

Yeah it would be miles away from uh, Evan Cooper? That guy had no business being anywhere near an NFL team. Also Al Holcomb got lucky being LB's coach here for Kueckly/TD which basically required zero coaching, then he pretty much blew it every other stop with Wilks. Plus that senior citizen we had as D-line coach last year. What a mess looking back

41 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I noticed that early on......my main issue is the the cover3/2 seahags system has been broken. 

I feel about the same about quinn, its a "meh" heavy "MEH" if gus is pick...... i would complain some, but st least understand the reasons. 

I hope frank learned form Andy Reid, when reid hired Jim Johnson. The story goes Jim didnt know reid and was confused.-

Jim- " Andy why do you want me as DC?"

Andy- " I hate playing against you "

Jim- " Ooo "

I would love a Jim Johnson type defense. Blitz heavy with multiple fronts and lots of misdirection, overloads and  press man coverage off the line. Physical attacking defense which intensifies the closer to the redzone.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah it would be miles away from uh, Evan Cooper? That guy had no business being anywhere near an NFL team. Also Al Holcomb got lucky being LB's coach here for Kueckly/TD which basically required zero coaching, then he pretty much blew it every other stop with Wilks. Plus that senior citizen we had as D-line coach last year. What a mess looking back

Rhule's staff was such a weird "experienced but not successful" hodgepodge of misfit toys.  It was so bad.  Hell, McAdoo ended up looking fine compared to some of them.  I think Reich is going to have a much more diverse and promising approach to staff building.  It's not a life raft to the guys drowning into retirement.  He's got good connections.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I would love a Jim Johnson type defense. Blitz heavy with multiple fronts and lots of misdirection, overloads and  press man coverage off the line. Physical attacking defense which intensifies the closer to the redzone.  

I fully agree, I miss watching Jim Johnson call a game. He was one of the few coaches, that they were the cause of me watching.

Still I hope when Frank throws the net, he includes some DC that he hated to play against. Both Andy and JJ grew tons going against each in practices. Jim was fearless in calling biltzs and I'll be dammed if they didnt work. They never had super "elite" pass rushers either(unless u got hugh dougles as HOFer), it was JJ bring heat!  Brian Dawkins was worth the ticket price too. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I agree. But you got to have the personnel to do it effectively.  Do we have the personnel currently on the team to make the switch easily enough?  That's the million dollar question. 

• Pie 1