• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

“Holes”

ncfan

18 hours ago, ncfan said:

So your alright with throwing 2 1st rd picks back to back at a QB3-4 in a draft class

vs spending. 2-3 1sts for a QB1-2 in a class?

Yes. A lot of us feel this way. If we drafted a QB at #9 and he succeeds we'll all be happy. I think the top 4 (Young, Stroud, Levis , and Richardson) could all do well in Carolina with Reich as our new HC. The man just seems to understand offensive football.  I feel he'd help each of them maximize their potential and at worst make them serviceable QB's.

We'd still have the following picks:

* Our own 2nd rounder. 

* San Francisco's second-rounder

* San Francisco's third-rounder

* Their own fourth-rounder

* San Francisco's fourth-rounder

* Our own fifth-rounder

We could use those picks to really build up our roster to improve the rookie's chances of succeeding immediately. If the rookie bombed, which you really won't know the 2nd or 3rd year, you'd still have a better team...and all of the your 2024 draft picks to try again if necessary. You could afford to move up in 2024 if the right guy was there because most of the major pieces needed to compete would be in place. 

My problem with the "move up" philosophy is the belief that every draft has a franchise QB in the top 5. If Mayfield, Darnold, Mariotta, Rosen were the top 4 prospects this year there are people on this forum who would insist we needed to swap # 1 picks with Houston or Chicago and give several years of high draft picks to grab one of them. That is too risky unless you already have a team that is only a QB away from making a SB run. I don't see a QB in this draft worth that type of gamble.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

You could afford to move up in 2024 if the right guy was there because most of the major pieces needed to compete would be in place. 

My Question is

what are the “major pieces” in football outside of a #1WR, #1 CB, a top Edge Rusher, and a LT?

Edited by ncfan

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

My Question is

what are the “major pieces” in football outside of a #1WR, #1 CB, a top Edge Rusher, and a LT?

Based on salary the 4 major pieces would be (QB, LT , CB , Pass rusher...usually DE, but Aaron Donald would be an exception at DT). Those are the highest paid positions because they are the hardest to fill. 

When I referred to pieces I was referring to our team across the board in terms of the depth chart.

If you had an all-pro at each position of those positions you won't make the playoffs if the rest of the team is trash.

Our team is looking good on the O-line. We should be even better if we resign Bozeman at Center.

RB: Freeman and Hubbard played well last season.  That tandem could be even more effective in 2023 with Frank Reich overseeing things.

WR: DJ belongs in the NFL. He's a solid two at worst. Possibly even a #1 in the right offense. Outside of him how many of our WR's could have started on another team in the NFL and ben a true offensive threat in 2022?

TE: 42 receptions combined for our 3 TE's on the roster and 3 TD's (all from Tremble) 😔

Our D-line is a problem. Outside of Burns (12.5 sacks), we don't have much in terms of the pass rush. Do you know who finished 2nd in sacks in 2022? Frankie Luvu (7 sacks). The next highest d-lineman in terms of sacks was Marquis Haynes (5).  Gross-Matos had 2.5. For all of the talk of Derrick Brown improving (which he did) he finished the season with the same number of sacks as Jeremy Chinn...(1 sack).  We could use an interior lineman to collapse the pocket and/or a beast to come from the LE spot.

LB: Luvu was a pleasant surprise last year (111 tackles, 7 sacks). Shaq led the team in tackles (135). He's steady and provides some veteran leadership. But he's not an elite player. He had 0.5 sacks and no INT's. No other LB on our roster had 50 tackles.

CB/S: JC led the team with 3 INTS despite missing 3 games. Donte finished in a tie with CJ Henderson (17 games) for  second on the team with (2) despite missing the last 8 games of the season. We had 3 others players with one INT each (Luvu, Brown, and Roy). Our team had 10 INT's for the season. Two of our defensive tackles had more INTs than Safeties, who had NONE in 2022.

---

We need to use those extra picks and put some playmakers at Safety, LB, WR, and the D-line. We could honestly use another CB. We saw how bad we looked without JC and Donte out there down the stretch.

• Beer 1

25 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

NT and a true ball hawking FS

I wouldn’t necessarily call a FS foundation piece hole.

how many teams invest high top 15 draft picks on them or Huge contracts on them?  You can find a top 15 FS in FA for 10 mil or less

NT?  Maybe.  But we don’t know if that’s where Brown is going to play or not.

Edited by ncfan

On 2/9/2023 at 4:15 PM, SetfreexX said:

No one's saying NOT to take a swing, in your own example you say, "it means you simply have to buy the lotto ticket and keep scratching until one hits"...

So I pose this....how do you keep getting lotto tickets without future 1st rounders....?

The point is that the bust rate is so high, it makes VERY LITTLE sense to mortgage multiple 1sts for a QB. There's no generational QB in this class. Not one that most folks would agree on, there's a couple "good ones" and a couple "boom or bust" ones. None worth multiple firsts.

I agree. I honestly can't say "yeah, that's the guy" about any of them. Particularly, Levis.

• Pie 1

On 2/10/2023 at 8:14 AM, SCO96 said:

Yes. A lot of us feel this way. If we drafted a QB at #9 and he succeeds we'll all be happy. I think the top 4 (Young, Stroud, Levis , and Richardson) could all do well in Carolina with Reich as our new HC. The man just seems to understand offensive football.  I feel he'd help each of them maximize their potential and at worst make them serviceable QB's.

We'd still have the following picks:

* Our own 2nd rounder. 

* San Francisco's second-rounder

* San Francisco's third-rounder

* Their own fourth-rounder

* San Francisco's fourth-rounder

* Our own fifth-rounder

We could use those picks to really build up our roster to improve the rookie's chances of succeeding immediately. If the rookie bombed, which you really won't know the 2nd or 3rd year, you'd still have a better team...and all of the your 2024 draft picks to try again if necessary. You could afford to move up in 2024 if the right guy was there because most of the major pieces needed to compete would be in place. 

My problem with the "move up" philosophy is the belief that every draft has a franchise QB in the top 5. If Mayfield, Darnold, Mariotta, Rosen were the top 4 prospects this year there are people on this forum who would insist we needed to swap # 1 picks with Houston or Chicago and give several years of high draft picks to grab one of them. That is too risky unless you already have a team that is only a QB away from making a SB run. I don't see a QB in this draft worth that type of gamble.

You make too much sense for many here...

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1