• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Has anyone looked at our Cap situation for 2023?

SCO96

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/carolina-panthers

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

Both of these sites have us with over $28.5 million in dead cap space for 2023 and significantly over the cap to start the new season. 😲

Who are we gonna have to cut or restructure this off-season.

They will extend burns to push money down the road so that should help.  Cutting shaq will also knock a dent in it.  I suspect they could reconfigure Motons deal as well.  I just hope they cook the books where we will have a ton of room next offseason to really solidify the roster

We are actually like 9 million above the cap from roll over money from this year. But that balances out when you account for draft picks.

You can restructure Moore and Moton and save about 10 million. 

You can cut Shaq and save about 13 million. 

You can cut Zane, Elflein, and Wilson and save about 9 million.

That gives you 31 million. 

You can also trade Burns and get draft picks and save another 16 million but all the fans that just started following the team in 2018 would get mad.

• Pie 5

Just now, Cdparr7 said:

We are actually like 9 million above the cap from roll over money from this year. But that balances out when you account for draft picks.

You can restructure Moore and Moton and save about 10 million. 

You can cut Shaq and save about 13 million. 

You can cut Zane, Elflein, and Wilson and save about 9 million.

That gives you 31 million. 

You can also trade Burns and get draft picks and save another 16 million but all the fans that just started following the team in 2018 would get mad.

Yeah the rollover situation is helping a lot.  We'll make some likely cuts, work on some restructures.

Cap shmap.  Teams seem to just figure it out for what they want these days.  

It's all very fungible

• Pie 4

9 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/carolina-panthers

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

Both of these sites have us with over $28.5 million in dead cap space for 2023 and significantly over the cap to start the new season. 😲

Who are we gonna have to cut or restructure this off-season.

Yes and better to take our lumps this year and not mess with it.  We are in good shape beyond 2023, so let's not get cute and try to be the Saints.

It's actually not that hard.  Extend Burns, Brown and Luvu.  Cut Elflein, Wilson, Haynes (or extend Marquis).  That frees up a ton of cap room.  At one point a month or so ago I had approximate amount.  We can get under the cap fairly easily, but won't have much room to go shopping in FA.

Completely and Parr:

Are you guys saying that you would cut Shaq if you were in the front office?

I'm not saying I disagree with you at all, but he did lead the team in tackles. He and Luvu both had over 100+ tackles. Our defense is would be significantly worse without him on the field in 2022. No other LB's on the roster reached 50 tackles. If we went that route wouldn't that mean we'd likely have to draft a replacement this off-season?

I'd be inclined to say yes; which is why I don't like the idea of trading away multiple high draft choices in multiple seasons to move up to the top 5 in order to draft a QB. We already need  playmakers at LB, S, DT, DE, CB, TE, and WR. Losing Shaq creates another void to feel. And, let's be honest...the answer isn't already on the roster.

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yes and better to take our lumps this year and not mess with it.  We are in good shape beyond 2023, so let's not get cute and try to be the Saints.

It's actually not that hard.  Extend Burns, Brown and Luvu.  Cut Elflein, Wilson, Haynes (or extend Marquis).  That frees up a ton of cap room.  At one point a month or so ago I had approximate amount.  We can get under the cap fairly easily, but won't have much room to go shopping in FA.

This should free up about $23M.  We are about -$13M in effective cap space, so net about $10M which isn't much to shop with.

• Pie 1