• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How will this coaching team effect free-agency?

rayzor

I'm just looking at this crew that we've gotten so far (and we're only about half way done) and we've cast a really wide net drawing old experienced guys mixed in with fresh up and coming coaches and all of them from a fairly wide range of teams. 

I'm just wondering how many FA guys are going to be looking at what is going on here here and thinking they want to be a part of it working with a coach or two that they love or look up to?

• Pie 4

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This season? Hard to say really.  If they go predominantly 3-4 defense they're going to need to add some beef on the dline and upgrade the LB core. You will not fill all of those in the draft. I'm not sure who's out there in FA that we need to woo yet.

They fit the scheme to the players they have, not the other way around. We'd only be switching to a 3-4 if we have the personnel for it and even then it would only be a base, but adaptive to situations.

Basically, all the stress about Evero and Capers switching to a 3-4 is needless. 

But I get what you're saying, what we do could effect who would be interested, but I think who we have on staff would be a much bigger factor. 

Imo, we'll just be bringing in talent and fitting what we want to do to the talent that is here.

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, rayzor said:

They fit the scheme to the players they have, not the other way around. We'd only be switching to a 3-4 if we have the personnel for it and even then it would only be a base, but adaptive to situations.

Basically, all the stress about Evero and Capers switching to a 3-4 is needless. 

But I get what you're saying, what we do could effect who would be interested, but I think who we have on staff would be a much bigger factor. 

Imo, we'll just be bringing in talent and fitting what we want to do to the talent that is here.

That would be the ideal situation. But I don't want to trend into the Phil Snow philosophy of trying to have a defense that is versatile in different sets but not good at any.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 3

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I think we’ll try to get some 3-4 pieces in FA, and we are successful we will make the switch. If not we will stay with a 4-3 ish defense. 

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That would be the ideal situation. But I don't want to trend into the Phil Snow philosophy of trying to have a defense that is versatile in different sets but not good at any.

I seriously doubt that would be the result with the Evero/Capers duo. I have more faith in these two than I have had with any defensive coaching staff we've had. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Base package & scheme aside--

Burns is already used in an EDGE-ish role standing on the strong side a lot, from my more casual eye it seems like he's up more than hands are in the dirt.  Chinn can float up to the box in a hybrid role.  And then, we have Horn, Jackson, & Woods in place.  Same goes for Brown on the line.   

So..I see three big defensive needs that could be scheme fluid/great versatile adds:

An outfielder type S next to Woods (this would be FA)

LB - next to Luvu (unless this can become Chinn)

DL  - 3 Down lineman that plays multi-tech.  (285+lbs & large frame type).  Can be a 3-4 end, 4-3 end, or 4-3 DT 

I actually quite like the draft for DL in the mid rounds, so could see the LB & S as the FA adds on defense.  Maybe another CB.  Okereke at LB is my bet given he's been under both Reich and our LB coach in separate spots.  

Offensively, we don't have a lot to spend, but there is a vet who I think could come back to his home state and flourish with Reich again: Keenan Allen.  

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'm just looking at this crew that we've gotten so far (and we're only about half way done) and we've cast a really wide net drawing old experienced guys mixed in with fresh up and coming coaches and all of them from a fairly wide range of teams. 

I'm just wondering how many FA guys are going to be looking at what is going on here here and thinking they want to be a part of it working with a coach or two that they love or look up to?

It will help the type of player that has 3 of the same offers, it would favor panthers. Boze is a recent example and Rhule did pull in his baylor/temple players when they were available. 

I know many dont like this, just giving a example- Say Carr wants to rebuild his resume and panthers now have frank, jim, and some other QB guru type......he knows thats a path to get teams back to paying him one of those watson/mahomes type contracts. 

It can not hurt, only help......and panthers need alll the help(I wish CMC was still here with this group...)