• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Best Case Scenario: (2)1sts in 2023 w/out mortgaging the future

Bear Hands

What I think we can all agree on is that we're targeting this "sexy" draft that Fitterer keeps mentioning.  Both him and Tepper seem aggressive these days.  They want to go after skill position players, playmakers.  I don't believe this is stopping at QB. QB is just the obvious spot, for 4 years runnning ha.  

So okay then.  Let's say a best case scenario happens: We don't have to move and AR(or)Levis is our pick at 9.  Liking the QB prospect aside, we've landed one, take it or leave it.   

The kicker now is we haven't given up major capital in doing so.  We have picks 39, 61, 93, (2)4ths, a 5th and 7th. 

Do we really need to backfill the roster and get more guys in the 4th-7th?  I don't think so.  Given their demeanor this year, I just don't think we would wait to 39 with what we'd still have in the tank.  They're talking about being aggressive, well then THIS would present that opportunity.

Do note, the weapons may not start peeling off the board until the teens.  You've got the likes of Mayer, Kincaid & Musgrave at the top of the TE class.  Addison, Smith-Njigba, Zay at WR.  Throw in QJ for good measure.  

So, the crux of this thread: Would you trade 39 & some change to get one in the 20s? In that, you get the 5th year option, ensure a weapon at the top of the class, which on top of QB is a major need.  I mean, if we're talking trade ups, I'd much prefer that type of one.  Get to around 25 for 39, a 4th, and a future 4th-ish.  Just something in that general ballpark.  Draft value charts place that ~120 pts, which equates to a 4th and some change.  

The WR group this year isn't that deep but there's definitely some talent at the top.  Given what our FO has been saying, it's just making me think they could really want a guy like Zay Flowers to pair with DJ Moore.  That could be fantastic right there for a young QB.  

Something to think on scenario wise.

• Pie 5

Just now, Cavscout said:

According to Panthers.com we don't have a 7th

Ah I was looking at tankathon whoops.

My point stands though.  

I honestly think we could pull this off even if we manage what id call a more minor trade up from pick 9. I think we could still manage a move to as high as 6 w/DET without giving up the barn. Then separately, from the 39 to the back of the first without giving up a future 1st in either deal. 

Anything more than that though, then it gets tricky, but if we’re just pushing around second to mid rounders that we can also easily acquire in the future, I guess why not shoot the shot?

Look theres one proven rule and most talk about it, but most times dont follow it. BPA is the one proven way. 

I love Stroud, but hes not worth trading up to 1st.....maybe 5th. same on ar and levis. 

Panthers are NOT one rookie QB away, they have many holes. Dont panic and if a fair value trade up is there, go for it. Unwise sit at 9th and pick the best edge, DT, or WR......even CB if you feel hes a true game changer...pick BPA and figure out the QB deal later.....

Im even for trading back to 14th if the right offer is there as well.....

hate away

If we don’t trade up or trade up in a way that doesn’t take either of our 2nds I would absolutely be on board with sending both 2nds to someone to move up for a pass catcher/rusher. We don’t have that many holes and the more upper tier talent we can add the closer we are to actually being contenders rather than just moving up to the middle of the pack. 

24 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

If we don’t trade up or trade up in a way that doesn’t take either of our 2nds I would absolutely be on board with sending both 2nds to someone to move up for a pass catcher/rusher. We don’t have that many holes and the more upper tier talent we can add the closer we are to actually being contenders rather than just moving up to the middle of the pack. 

I'm beginning to think they are more likely to trade down than trade up.

• Pie 1

I really don’t get how people have such high standards at QB yet are unwilling to give up an asset that would equate to Frank Alexander or Daryl Worley to assure ourselves a more secure pick at a skill position. 

Do we not want quality over quantity at this point?

• Beer 1