• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much is too much to trade?

ncfan

6 minutes ago, ncfan said:

We really using a 5-6 game stretch of Purdy with a near perfect roster as gospel not to trade up for a QB?

I'm using him as an example as to why you don't need to trade multiple first round picks for a non-generational QB. 

This is a good QB class, it's not an exceptional one. Sit at #9 and see who falls - if nobody does, look outside the box in the later rounds.

• Pie 1

Not saying it can't work, but interesting to me that trades into the top 5 just haven't worked: Darnold, Wentz, RG3, Trubisky, Goff.

If "our guy" is still there at 6 or 7, that's a dramatic difference in draft capital from 1-3.  Go get him

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

You bring up a good point (unstated) and this is a good thread--I think they will give up the three firsts if that is what it takes.  All factors point to "NOW" from front office, and Stroud can start very soon.  We should have some room in free agency next year, so the loss of a first rounder is not that huge. 

• 1. Young, Stroud, Levis, and Herndon are the "types" of QBs that Reich and McCown can relate to--not sure if they can coach up AR-15.  For that reason alone, he may be off the table unless they do not move up and he is there at #9--that probably is not happening. 
  • 2.  Young is a bit small, and without the Bama advantages, I am not sure he is any better at throwing than Stroud.
  • 3.  Stroud has the size and the ball placement to be more durable and just as effective as Young.  To me, he gets the nod.
  • 4.  Levis' cannon was about average when put on the radar gun.  Maybe the rest of him is overrated too.  Not a fan.
  • 5. Hooker is intriguing.  I watched a lot of his videos, and he really does not scan the field that often.  However, his measurables (size, hand size, etc) are pretty solid. 

Personally, as of right now from this perspective, I rate the QBs in terms of who I think this staff and GN will like:

1. Stroud A+  This is the type of QB who can start by mid season, if not sooner.  I really like him--just needs to be protected.  He throws a pretty ball that arrives on time at the right location--like Fed Ex.

2. Young A-  His size is his only concern--and he is less mobile than Stroud as a runner (think RPOs, options, etc).

3. Richardson B+ (not AR-15's fault--just we are not set up to coach his style of play. Not ready to play much in 2023, and if you play him to early, you could ruin him)

4. Levis B- (Seems like a dick to me--but he has the skills, just not the resume.  Could play sooner than AR-15, just not as well when he does)

5. Hooker C+  (Age and injury a slight concern, but not major.  Not ready to play in 2023.  Too many unknowns, but he could be ranked ahead of Levis if healthy to be evaluated now)

If they give up 3 first round picks then the honeymoon period is over and I expect the team to win immediately. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, ClawOn said:

Not saying it can't work, but interesting to me that trades into the top 5 just haven't worked: Darnold, Wentz, RG3, Trubisky, Goff.

If "our guy" is still there at 6 or 7, that's a dramatic difference in draft capital from 1-3.  Go get him

you have to trade ahead of teams that want QBs themselves, that’s the point my man 

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I'm not pencilling him in as anything, but he was literally Mr Irrelevant and came off the bench to win 6 straight games (and they looked lost when he got injured).

He won a whopping 2 more games than Sam Darnold this season 

and people aren’t out  here saying sign a Jameis Winston or Trubisky in FA instead of trading up for one in the draft

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

If they give up 3 first round picks then the honeymoon period is over and I expect the team to win immediately. 

Sounds like thats the expectation they have for themselves as well, which is why we’d make the move.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, ClawOn said:

Did the Wentz or Goff trade hurt them though?

Rams still made it as far as we did with Cam.  And the Eagles won a Super Bowl a few years later

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

He won a whopping 2 more games than Sam Darnold this season 

and people aren’t out  here saying sign a Jameis Winston or Trubisky in FA instead of trading up for one in the draft

Even if we draft a QB we still need a mid-level starter who can tide us over for a season. 

Just now, OldhamA said:

Absolutely, and I think the offseason moves so far--beginning when they fired Rhule--reflect a lack of patience on Tepper's part--and I think the Rhule experiment embarrassed him because he was impulsive and stupid about it.  No QB in the South right now gives any team an advantage--Personally, I think this is a great time to strike.  Fitterer will be building around the Russell Wilson rookie contract that led to a dynasty theory--and in the day of paying QBs $50m per, he may be right.  But you are right--they are not building right now, they are going to get a young QB, sign a vet for a season--and they are going after it now.

• Pie 1

Not mad at this PFN mock trade

3) Carolina Panthers: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Trade: Carolina receives pick 3; Arizona receives pick 9, pick 39, and a 2024 first-round pick.

The Panthers got themselves a scare when Houston hung up the phone on them but was relieved when they took Richardson, leaving the QB that best fits Frank Reich’s offense to fall one more pick. While they gave Arizona quite a haul for the rights to the third pick in the draft, there were other suitors, and the Panthers had already tried calling Chicago and Houston about their top picks.

C.J. Stroud is an outstanding quarterback who finished his collegiate career on one of the biggest heaters I’ve ever seen. His play against both Michigan and Georgia comprised the best QB tape of the cycle, and if he learns to play more like an athlete, he could very easily become the best QB in the class.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Donald LaFell said:

I’d rather not take the risk but the team is kind of in a mediocre purgatory. Have to either blow it up or take a shot. Just hope it doesn’t make all these coaches leave lol 

Blow up what? All the best players are on rookie deals or manageable second contracts. 

We're primed for a period of dominance - which either comes from a franchise QB (good luck) or continuing to stack the roster with talent... i.e. those 3 first round picks people are so keen to trade away.