• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB breakdowns by Josh McCown

Martin

10 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

This guy makes decent videos 

Okay as a LIFETIME (not a past Vikings, Jets, or Browns {I swear some of you never left}PANTHER'S FAN,

I'm PRO YOUNG, this is well known, but I intend to look at these videos as if I never saw these QBs in my life.'

CJ sounds like the real deal, could he put the doubters to bed about Ohio St QBs, I don't know, I like Fields but his weakness is very much highlighted in the NFL. Okay, first off we need to Bear Attack...lol.

Naw, I'm the type, show me the bad plays, good plays are meant to make you feel good. I want to know what it feels like when they have bad plays, ex: Cam overthrows a WR because he has a cannon no touch, not Darnold gets spook pick 6 just waiting to happen. 

So, what scared me about CJ,...the Teddy Effect. Okay, before we go there...

1. He's not going to factor into the QB run game at all(he showed he can do a little in UGA, but it rarely shows up)

2. He hasn't master the protection aspects. Those created a lot of negative yards for sacks. ( This is a big RED FLAG coming into the NFL.) And to not add 3, but this creates another problem. When pressure he isn't very accurate with the ball. (dirt throws, cam with the face palm) Ohio St. benefitted from a great Oline. Easy fix right tighten up his mechanics 

3. The Teddy Effect: The lack of aggression(timestamp 7:58)

I know 3rd and 15, sounds familiar, let me help you a bit, HB draw in Fox's days, 

That play looks so Teddy like, I can't not, will not, go thru this again.

Moral of the story, will he finally be the first Ohio St QB to succeed in the NFL?

I don't know, would I take a risk, I rather go AR if I'm taking one. AR is a dual threat ever time.

....Do I even need to...

First off, the guy compares Young to Brees, oh, wow, no surprise there.

But you mean to tell me he's Brees with wheels, just stop okay.

Wait, forget his size, he's a dawg in the pocket taking hits he knows coming. okay, I'mma stop.

To the negatives this guy list,

1. His balance...(are we talking about his shoes???) i'm just noting he contradicts himself later and says he has extraordinary balance. Fix he's base

Really that's it.

I mean, we all know the height thing is scaring people but c'mon, the IT factor, the side protections, the fact he's better than Wilson and Murray throwing into the middle, hell he's getting compared to NFL QBs before he even enters the NFL. 

Meanwhile CJ has to prove Ohio St QBs don't get busted in the NFL.

Yeah, this only confirms what we all know, Young is the best choice for us. Some may not like it, but when he finally gets called up to that podium, many of us are going LOVE IT.

I like both guys and will be happy with either but what scares me about each of them is:

Stroud: I’ve preferred Stroud for the majority of time since making the trade. His ball placement and accuracy are the best in this class imo. I think he’s athleticism is slept on but will he ever take advantage of it consistently? When he’s pressured his footwork can go out the window and his accuracy goes with it. To me that’s worrisome at the next level.

• CJ Stroud stats vs pressure (2022): 5-2 TD-INT, 72.7 QB rating, 5.7 YPA
  • CJ Stroud vs clean pocket (’22): 32-4 TD-INT, 134.7 QB rating, 10.2 YPA

Young: Surprisingly not worried about his size as I believe he’ll eventually gain weight but for me it’s his arm strength. There are many times where he under throws his WR’s. Does he have enough juice in that arm to hit some of these outs/corners outside the numbers that need to be thrown on a rope? I don’t know. There’s just something about Bryce though, to me he has that “it” factor. If there’s 2 mins left and I needed a score, I’d choose Bryce 

• Bryce Young stats vs pressure (2021): 17-3 TD-INT, 100.8 QB rating, 7.9 ypa
  • Bryce Young vs clean pocket (’21): 30-4 TD-INT, 134.7 QB rating, 9.3 ypa

• Bryce Young vs pressure (2022): 9-3 TD-INT, 95.2 QB rating, 9.3 ypa
  • Bryce Young vs clean pocket (’22): 23-2 TD-INT, 122.9 QB rating, 8.5 ypa
  • Pie 3

I know everyone loves the Burrow comp for CJ due to his accuracy/ball placement but he’s Joe Cool for a reason…

Right now, one of the more sought-after traits for a quarterback is the ability to create outside of the structure. Burrow is one of few collegiate quarterbacks to pass that with flying colors. When Burrow has been forced outside of the pocket (non-designed rollouts and scrambles), he is, once again, the nation's highest-graded quarterback and has an accurate-pass rate 13% higher than second place.

If all that advanced data (that is found nowhere else in the world) didn’t convince you that Burrow is the best college quarterback in 2019 then maybe this will put it into perspective: Not only is he the highest-graded quarterback under pressure, but his grade under pressure is better than the clean-pocket grade of 84 FBS quarterbacks. Calling it insane is an understatement. He has thrown just one interception under pressure while throwing 15 touchdowns. Whether he is in a clean pocket or under duress, Burrow can quite literally do it all.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-how-joe-burrow-and-the-lsu-offense-went-from-unknown-to-unstoppable

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Who Will Be The First Pick In The 2023 NFL Draft?

Curt Popejoy Draft Wire
March 27, 2023 2:59 pm ET

The 2023 NFL draft is just a month away and the Carolina Panthers are on the clock. At this point, it feels like a foregone conclusion the Panthers will draft one of the top quarterbacks but don’t think for one second if a good enough offer comes along, Carolina won’t take it.

If the Panthers stay put, Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud makes the most sense. He’s the most NFL-ready of this group and his measurables are elite. But if the Panthers chose to trade down a spot or two, all bets are off for that top pick.

All i know is this...the HC who also calls plays and the QB coach should get who they want. At the end of the day fitt, tepper, Caldwell are not coaching the guy directly or fitting them into their system. If you take somebody else and it doesnt work. Now you open up can of worms because Reich can just he never wanted the guy or thought he fit his system. This happens all the time, they all need to be on the same page with the offensive HC, offensive staff, QB coaches being the deciding factor.

• Pie 2

Chris Simms Breaks Down 2023 Draft QB Rankings
The following are highlights from Simms’ QB draft rankings. For Simms’ in-depth analysis,

No. 1: C.J. Stroud, Ohio State

What Simms Said: “This is as close to Joe Burrow as I’ve seen coming out in the draft here. I mean, when you just talk about great decision-making, quickness…when you talk about hitting the bullseye on a consistent basis, C.J. Stroud’s ability to make high-level throws and just drop the ball in receiver’s pockets, hit them in the chest, wherever, it’s off the charts good…his arm is better than Burrow’s was coming out…his throwing, especially with the ability to power throw and put the ball into tight windows time after time after time, I’d actually give him the advantage over Joe Burrow in that department.”

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

Chris Simms Breaks Down 2023 Draft QB Rankings
The following are highlights from Simms’ QB draft rankings. For Simms’ in-depth analysis,

No. 1: C.J. Stroud, Ohio State

What Simms Said: “This is as close to Joe Burrow as I’ve seen coming out in the draft here. I mean, when you just talk about great decision-making, quickness…when you talk about hitting the bullseye on a consistent basis, C.J. Stroud’s ability to make high-level throws and just drop the ball in receiver’s pockets, hit them in the chest, wherever, it’s off the charts good…his arm is better than Burrow’s was coming out…his throwing, especially with the ability to power throw and put the ball into tight windows time after time after time, I’d actually give him the advantage over Joe Burrow in that department.”

Chris Simms has Stroud#1 so does Bucky Brooks while PFF have Young # 1, so does Lance Zeirlein, Todd McSay, Daniel Jeremiah I dunno who to believe 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, frankw said:

He was also drafted about 40 years ago.

Small QB that played great in college, won the heisman, but couldn’t sustain success in the NFL so he went to play in the CFL. Such a bad comparison.. You could use him as a reason NOT to draft a small QB at 1 honestly. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Doug Flutie was 5'10 and 180lbs

His pro career was exceptional. 

It was? I do not hear his name mentioned in any discussion other than fake testosterone commercials.  I was old enough to watch the guy play.  If he's the measuring stick for Young then hard pass on Young.

• Pie 2