• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Confused Why Some Seem to Think We Got Fleeced

Daddy_Uncle

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

Go back and try for a different pick, then. Surprised they didn't get him to throw in five more first-rounders, Burns, and the 2015 NFC championship trophy. Once he gets his heart set, you can get whatever you want out of him.

They never wanted Burns. He doesn’t help on the run game. 

The only people who think we got fleeced are idiotic Bears fans. The Bears were going to get a haul from whatever team they picked to do business with. Props to our FO and coaches for having the guts to make this trade. To basically only give up one first round pick next year is pretty phenomenal, considering several years back the 49ers used two 1sts and a 3rd only to move to the third pick for Trey Lance. Hurts to lose DJ, but WR’s come and go. Look at KC, traded their All-world WR (who is better than DJ) and then went and won the Super Bowl with a bunch of average WRs. We’ll reload in that department.

Stating the obvious that this is a QB driven league. Short of sucking so hard into a top two pick, this is the best way to land an absolute stud that could define the franchise for the next 10-15 years. LFG

Edited by Cary Kollins

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

If Moore's such a replaceable target, why could we not find someone 1/10 as good, and why did Chicago covet him so much?

You’re asking the wrong guy. I didn’t want to give up DJ. He’d help a new QB out and if grabbing WR was so simple, as you said, we would have had a number 2 close in talent and production to DJ already. 

Id rather give up something else but you’re asking Chicago to drop to 9 so you have to give a little something extra. We don’t have too many guys on the roster with that kind of value. So unfortunately it was DJ who had to go. 

49 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Transactionally, we gave up two firsts but received one back.  Incrementally, we gave up one additional first.  But I quibble...

I think it was a fair trade for both teams. A lot of how the trade will be viewed moving forward depends on how well DJ performs with Fields. And, of course, if we land a franchise QB.

If we end up with a top 10 QB in the league, five years from now fans will think we fleeced the Bears. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Moore, Claypool, Moony and Kmet was looking decent. Fields has some weapons and I’m sure they are addressing the OL/DEF with FA and draft. Fields should take another step forward.

In his last four seasons, Moore has 4,413 receiving yards, which ranks seventh among all NFL receivers.

He also ranks 17th out of 84 in yards per route run. He put together three straight 1,100-yard seasons and never caught fewer than 55 balls in a season.

• Pie 1

Just now, Cary Kollins said:

The only people who think we got fleeced are idiotic Bears fans. The Bears were going to get a haul from whatever team they picked to do business with. Props to our FO and coaches for having the guts to make this trade. To basically only give up one first round pick next year is pretty phenomenal, considering several years back the 49ers used two 1sts and a 3rd only to move to the third pick for Trey Lance. 

Stating the obvious that this is a QB driven league. Short of sucking so hard into a top two pick, this is the best way to lane an absolute stud that could define the franchise for the next 10-15 years. LFG

I don’t think Bears fans are idiots for feeling they got the better of the deal. I also don’t think we should be too upset. We just need to nail the pick for it to make sense. 

You can trade up to 1 but still pick the wrong guy. It’s like when Chicago traded up to get Mitch. The move was solid. The pick was wrong. Had it been Mahomes instead history would be nicer to them. 

We made the right trade. Now we need to make the right pick. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

If Moore's such a replaceable target, why could we not find someone 1/10 as good, and why did Chicago covet him so much?

Now, D.J Moore arrives in Chicago to become quarterback Justin Fields' preferred weapon.

Moore is not an upper-echelon elite receiver. He doesn't live in the Justin Jefferson-Tyreek Hill zip code.

He's a block over where the up-and-comers reside. Those preparing to upgrade their residency.

1 hour ago, Toker Smurf said:

I don’t think we got fleeced but we gave up two firsts, this year’s and next year’s. People can call it a swap but Chicago got two first round picks from us. 

Bears 2023, #1,1st round pick turned into 2023, #9,1st round pick.

Our 2023, #9, 1st round pick became 2023,#1,1st round pick...

We did NOT lose this years pick.

Calculating Zach Galifianakis GIF by filmeditor

2 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

In his last four seasons, Moore has 4,413 receiving yards, which ranks seventh among all NFL receivers.

He also ranks 17th out of 84 in yards per route run. He put together three straight 1,100-yard seasons and never caught fewer than 55 balls in a season.

And he’s young and his extension was signed before everyone went nuts on WR contracts. 

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

You’re asking the wrong guy. I didn’t want to give up DJ. He’d help a new QB out and if grabbing WR was so simple, as you said, we would have had a number 2 close in talent and production to DJ already. 

Id rather give up something else but you’re asking Chicago to drop to 9 so you have to give a little something extra. We don’t have too many guys on the roster with that kind of value. So unfortunately it was DJ who had to go. 

I wasn't directly asking you. I'm just pointing out how bad a trade it was.