• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

W/O the GA game do u take CJ?

Ivory Panther

My concern with Stroud is whether he can elevate the play of those around him. I think he could flourish on a team like the Falcons that already have a Drake London and Kyle Pitts or Chris Olave and Michael Thomas to throw to. After Harrison JR went out against GA, their offense began to stall a bit.

I think Young has the strongest body of work and played in the toughest conference college football has to offer. Also, playing in a pro-style offense with a former NFL HC, Bill O'Brien as his OC. I'm concerned about his size. However, of all the QB prospects he plays the position (accuracy, processing speed, toughness, etc.) the best.

I'm fine with Stroud at No.1 I just haven't seen anything besides his frame that makes him the better prospect. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

“Burrow is a one season wonder, Mahomes is a project and needs to sit a year to have a chance, Cam is a one read QB who is extremely raw….” You take your shot on your franchise QB or you have nothing. Saints will never sniff a Super Bowl with the new shiny vet 150 million dollar QB. We have some of the brightest minds on our coaching staff who specialize in developing QB’s. Our new QB coach just compared Stroud to Burrow. I trust whatever decision this staff makes compared to any other option.

I think mcCown comparing CJ to burrow is being taken out of context. He compared their size & throwing style. But said w/o talking to CJ he couldn’t make a definite comparison since he doesn’t know what’s between the ears.

burrow special trait is between the ears. His ability to quickly process defenses. CJ is not known for quick processing so far. To be fair, he didn’t have to in Ohio. Coaches & players were usually better than his opponents. So maybe he can consistently do it. Jury is out…

also McCown said Bryce would probably be #1 taken but y’all r not bringing that up…

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Ivory Panther said:

I have watched every game. Watched countless all 22.

the games his 1st reads weren’t consistently opened were Michigan, Iowa & Maryland. He coincidentally struggled a bit more during those game. He had a hard time escaping pressure. 

i don’t want to sound like I don’t like his game. I think he was very good in college. but I have questions about his consistency in less than ideal situations. 

If you watched every game like I did and still recite the “his first reads we’re always open” trope, then I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe some subconscious bias is making some things stick out in your memory than others?  Harrison Jr isn’t a burner separation getter, he’s a circus catcher. Without Stroud’s amazing accuracy and timing putting those balls right where Harrison needed to be the one with a chance then Harrison isn’t making those circus catches and wowing everyone.  OSU’s OL was inconsistent, the RBs were jags, he had a great WR and a good WR but to my eyes it was him putting the balls where they needed when they needed to be there that gave those WRs the opportunity to shine.  Olave and Wilson were different, separation makers. You could say last year he usually had receivers running open. That’s not what I saw this year. I saw him threading needles, reading the entire field, hitting players in stride with anticipation like no one has done in a decade. 

We all have our lenses we see the same things through differently, so that’s just what I was seeing. I just hope in this case I’m right cuz I’d definitely rather put the keys to our franchise in the hands of someone I can trust to be available on game day. 

• Pie 3

W/o the Georgia game, I think he's the clear #2 QB behind Bryce Young.

With it and Bryce's size, there's a big time argument to go with CJ instead. Knock on CJ was that he didn't handle pressure well and broke down when having to move. Didn't see that vs Georgia, so it's possible he can be coached up? Bryce's issue is his frame. That can't be coached up.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

I think mcCown comparing CJ to burrow is being taken out of context. He compared their size & throwing style. But said w/o talking to CJ he couldn’t make a definite comparison since he doesn’t know what’s between the ears.

burrow special trait is between the ears. His ability to quickly process defenses. CJ is not known for quick processing so far. To be fair, he didn’t have to in Ohio. Coaches & players were usually better than his opponents. So maybe he can consistently do it. Jury is out…

also McCown said Bryce would probably be #1 taken but y’all r not bringing that up…

15 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

Why do u think CJ fits Reich better? Do u think he is more accurate than bryce? 
i think their accuracy is comparable. Actually Bryce has a better completion percentage with lesser talent in a harder conference this year if I’m not mistaken. 

I think CJs ball placement and Deep Ball are a lot better than Bryce, I also think Reich wants a guy that succeeds in the system first and isnt necessarily dying for a guy whos special ability comes when the play falls apart (which I think is incredible to watch with Bryce and is extremely valuable). I think CJ has an underrated arm and will be able to get the ball accurately all over the field no questions asked and I think Reich does really value size, you can here it from his comments in the presser even.

Basically with our oline being ascending, how well CJ succeeds when he's on schedule, and his ball placement and accuracy at all levels of the field, his size, and past Reich QBs it just seems to me he's exactly what Reich looks for. 

• Pie 2

OP is fully on the Bryce Young wagon. This "just asking questions" bit about Stroud is easy to see through. If you are not willing to make this same kind of thread to discuss Young's cons then just say you want Young over him and stop the charade.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

OP is fully on the Bryce Young wagon. This "just asking questions" bit about Stroud is easy to see through. If you are not willing to make this same kind of thread to discuss Young's cons then just say you want Young over him and stop the charade.

U can use this thread to discuss Young’s flaws.

aside from size, what do u have? 

• Pie 1

Just now, Ivory Panther said:

You can't just say "aside from size" and move on like it's totally inconsequential. The guy is size of Johnny Manziel. It's a huge difference in how we approach building the offense around him because he is going to touch the ball more than anyone else. If you want Young then we have to go even heavier on addressing our oline. We've seen how he looks on a stacked Bama team going against mediocre programs. Any time a defensive linemen gets near him I will hold my breath.

• Poo 1

8 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

My big issue with Young aside from size is I really worry about his deep ball personally. A lot of times I feel like he has to get his entire body into it to get where it needs to go. I love him short to mid range though and QBs generally gain some strength when they hit the NFL.

He has a ball that reminds me of the Brady/Mannings where it doesnt really impress you coming out of his hands but it gets where it needs to go.

1 minute ago, frankw said:

You can't just say "aside from size" and move on like it's totally inconsequential. The guy is size of Johnny Manziel. It's a huge difference in how we approach building the offense around him because he is going to touch the ball more than anyone else. If you want Young then we have to go even heavier on addressing our oline. We've seen how he looks on a stacked Bama team going against mediocre programs. Any time a defensive linemen gets near him I will hold my breath.

Yup that’s what I thought. Size is the only argument…

im not worried abt size. QBs are getting protected by refs more than ever. Bryce will be fine as far as injuries. Injuries can’t be predicted. Big bodies get hurt, small bodies get hurt. Can’t debate an hypothetical which may never be a problem.

manziel is a bust because he couldn’t play not because of size/injuries. 

let’s talk abt game flaws. What do u have on bryce? 

• Pie 1