• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would you ask from Houston?

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

Damn.  I thought he was just speculating.  Then again, we could just be posturing through Person to bait the Texans into a deal.

Nope. It was given to him from an insider.

They confirmed that after talking to numerous other teams, the Panthers decided they wanted to trade to either #1 or #2, but no lower.

• Pie 1

I'd trade with HOU and ask for 33. We can send back a day 3 pick to balance out the value. 

33: Best TE on the board

39: Tillman/Perry/Flowers/Downs

Sign Boze and D'Onta & Hardman.

No way they are giving us 12 or a future FRP for one slot.

Edited by Soul Rebel

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I would add this:
If the Panthers liked 2 QBs in this draft, knowing that the Colts would be trading up and the Texans were going QB, moving up to #3 makes no sense.  So it is possible they could be fine with either, if it means that a second round pick (#32, I think) is available--so I see it, I just do not think that 2 QBs will be even in a month--they will be developing a system, and that system will determine the type of QB they like. 

That's why they ultimately determined they wouldn't go any lower than second overall.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

It's weird.  I feel like you only trade to #1 if there is one specific guy you actually covet.  So I think our FO and staff know exactly who they want and who they traded up there for.  So, that's where I disagree with Person here...  I don't think they traded there with the idea they like "more than one."  They traded for THE ONE they like.  Now, that being said, I only see us trading back if we have solid Intel that the Texans aren't interested in the guy we want.  If that is the case, I'm taking that 12th pick and running Zay Flowers or Hyatt's card up to the podium.  No hesitation.

Nah, you could also trade to #1 if there is more than one QB you like and the guys in #2 and/#3 (if applicable) aren't trading. Then you hold your cards close and trade down to get a guy you're just as happy with while recovering draft capital.

Not saying that's the story, but I could definitely see it. Shrewd move overall.

Honestly, nothing they'd actually do, and the ONLY way I'd do it is if we legitimately couldn't decide on which QB to take at #1 and are about to actually flip a coin to make the decision (which let's be real, would never happen, they'll have a way of establishing who they rank higher).

At that point, I'd take #2, #12, and their 2024 1st, and nothing less, dead serious.

If it were any other position on the field, I'd take their 2nd rounder and probably throw a mid round pick back at them too, but at QB, we need to be the ones to decide who we draft, not another team.  It's too important of a position to not make the decision ourselves.

Yes, I realize we still have holes to fill and getting a QB we still like while filling them would be good for us, but in the end, for me, it just comes down to how important the QB position is and now that we've given up too much to move up to #1, I'd rather pick the guy we'd rather have, even if it's only marginally more than the other guy.

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Why would you want sloppy seconds? I do not follow the logic of this argument.  The Panthers will have one qb they want. They will not be flipping a coin to see which guy they take. This talk is ludicrous. 

They might end up with one, but right now they have two. And again, that isn't speculation. It's sourced.

If we get our franchise quarterback for the next decade, do you really think anyone's gonna give a sh-t whether they were taken first or second?

Hell, if we got a franchise guy at pick 206, I'm not gonna sit around five years down the road pissed we didn't get him higher.

Just the opposite. i'd be laughing my ass off 😄

4 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Nah, you could also trade to #1 if there is more than one QB you like and the guys in #2 and/#3 (if applicable) aren't trading. 

That's a key point.

The Bears were obviously quite willing to trade out of #1 because they don't need a quarterback.

The Texans trading down from #2? Not so much.

• Beer 1

You can also look at it the other way around and I think it makes the idea of trading back to #2 look insane.

If we had the #2 pick and were comfortable with two of the QB's, but we preferred one over the other, there wouldn't be a single person who has any issue with giving up a 2nd round pick to make the swap and take the guy we prefer.

So why would we do the opposite to then let the other team decide.

They'd have to have some sort of 1000% certainty that the Texans would be taking the QB we didn't prefer, and even then, I'd be very skeptical that it would play out that way.  Because as I've said in the other threads, if the Texans felt we weren't taking the guy they wanted, they'd never make the trade with us, so fi they were to want to swap, to me, it says it means they think we're taking the guy they want.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1