• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Veteran QB Do We Sign to Mentor the Rookie QB?

tukafan21

I think we keep Corral as the #3 for now unless someone makes us an offer that we can't turn down (which I don't think happens unless he balls out in the pre-season).  But we have to have a solid vet QB in the room to help teach the rookie, who do we think that will be?

Personally I don't at all want it to be Darnold, sure he played decent late in the year, but his biggest issue was struggling to process things at an NFL level, not the type of guy we want mentoring a rookie QB.

Jimmy G likely wouldn't be wanting to step into a situation where he might be overtaken as the starter by week 1 or at worst, know he's only a placeholder for 1 season at the very most.

Heinicke's game is too much of a gunslinger, not who I'd want mentoring the rookie

Baker, Drew Lock, Wentz, lol

I'd have to lean towards Dalton, Brissett, or believe it or not, Teddy Two Gloves again.

None of them would be signing with the expectation that they're guaranteed to start week 1, they're all very seasoned pros who know how to go about their business properly and would likely be good mentors for a rookie QB.  

If none of them work, on a personal note since I'm an Arizona alum, I'd love for us to sign Foles.  He would be familiar with Reich, not expecting to start, and sure, his game might be spent, but I think he'd at least be a good mentor for a young QB.

Edited by tukafan21

7 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Should really be McCowns job to mentor him but I’d like Brissett as our back up because of his history with Reich 

Yes and no

He'll do that, but you still need a player and not a coach to be that guy for a rookie QB, it needs to be a peer, not one of his coaches.  When McCown gets on him for doing something wrong, he needs that vet QB to then pull him aside afterwards and be his friend, it's not a coaches job to be the friend, it's to coach.  He needs that vet to be in the locker next to his and talking to him all the time, coaches don't spend a ton of time in the locker room itself, that's the player's area.

I think it's one of the reasons Lawrence had a rough rookie year.  He had a demanding coach in Urban, but he didn't have that vet QB to help him along, he had Minshew who was trying to beat him out for the job in camp and then CJ Bethard as his backup during the season.

We need the Derek Anderson to Cam Newton for this rookie

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 4

21 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Yes and no

He'll do that, but you still need a player and not a coach to be that guy for a rookie QB, it needs to be a peer, not one of his coaches.  When McCown gets on him for doing something wrong, he needs that vet QB to then pull him aside afterwards and be his friend, it's not a coaches job to be the friend, it's to coach.  He needs that vet to be in the locker next to his and talking to him all the time, coaches don't spend a ton of time in the locker room itself, that's the player's area.

I think it's one of the reasons Lawrence had a rough rookie year.  He had a demanding coach in Urban, but he didn't have that vet QB to help him along, he had Minshew who was trying to beat him out for the job in camp and then CJ Bethard as his backup during the season.

We need the Derek Anderson to Cam Newton for this rookie

I think you’re giving Minshew too much credit. Competent coaching made Lawrence play better 

4 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

I think you’re giving Minshew too much credit. Competent coaching made Lawrence play better 

Huh?

I think you mis-read that, because I didn't give Minshew any credit for anything.  I was saying he was a 3rd year player trying to win the starting job in camp, not trying to help mentor Lawrence, and then they traded him before the season began.

Yes, competent coaching helped Lawrence make a big jump this year, but I think him not having a solid veteran presence in the QB room with him as a rookie hurt his development that year.

20 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Huh?

I think you mis-read that, because I didn't give Minshew any credit for anything.  I was saying he was a 3rd year player trying to win the starting job in camp, not trying to help mentor Lawrence, and then they traded him before the season began.

Yes, competent coaching helped Lawrence make a big jump this year, but I think him not having a solid veteran presence in the QB room with him as a rookie hurt his development that year.

Not many older QBs look after rookies. Look at Flacco everyone knows he’s over the hill but he still come out saying it’s not his job to mentor Wilson when he came in 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Huh?

But yes I did miss read that

Is there such a guy in the league today? Over the hill guys like Flacco is obviously not interested, I was suppose to be great guys like Wentz is an even worse option. It's Hoyer still in the league? If Matt Moore could come in and be this guy to Mahomes (and even will a game as reliever) there such be one, I just can't think of one.

I don’t see the vet teaching much football. That’s the coaches job. They’re for stability at backup and a conduct role model. Darnold has a good attitude and would make a good backup.

Unfortunately for Sam, I’m not sure how much of his experience here matters since we have new coaches. If Brissett or anyone fit the scheme better they would work just as well. 

If we could somehow get Nick Foles, I'd go for him. Knows Reich's system(Hell he won a super bowl with it), has mostly been a career backup so no worries on him having a ego, and has shown to be one of the best spot starters in the league.