• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina willing to move Corral. Cost won’t be high.

Varking

9 hours ago, rippadonn said:

If he shows out and looks like the late first rounder he was supposed to be we can possibly get more in return and the guy in a possible starting situation.

As it stands Scots post a couple back kinda flys in the face of the Op in that, nobody actually knows what they're going to do yet.

How he is going to show out as a 3rd stringer that cannot even practice until July?

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

How he is going to show out as a 3rd stringer that cannot even practice until July?

Yeah, Corral's best bet at this point is to find his way to a team with a stable environment that liked him in the draft. Maybe a team like that would kick us a conditional 6th or 7th to give him a look.

ALL of our QB development resources are going to get poured into the #1 overall pick. As they should. Because all these guys are gonna sink or swim based on the success or failure of this pick.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, Corral's best bet at this point is to find his way to a team with a stable environment that liked him in the draft. Maybe a team like that would kick us a conditional 6th or 7th to give him a look.

ALL of our QB development resources are going to get poured into the #1 overall pick. As they should.

And if the pick isn't Stroud, none of those resources will be close to enough to keep Reich from being a Black Monday firing after his first and only year here.

Also, let's laugh at the fact that, for years, this team's offense was comprised of numerous talented players at skill positions (most of whom were traded for the NFL version of lottery scratch-offs), and an absolute dogshit offensive line.

Now, this team's offense is comprised of numerous talented players on the offensive line, and a semi-pro beer league roster of truck drivers and mailmen.

• Pie 1

That depends on how much his boss influences the plan. If this blows up in Tep’s face he has to do a “buck stops here” mea culpa and get out of the process. 

edit: everything I have read has the power structure described as inclusive, diverse and committee like. Owner. Mrs Owner whatever her title is, Fitterer, Morgan, Reich, probably reported to by the offensive quarterback brain trust they have assembled. Caldwell, Frazier, Brown, McCown, et al. 

Edited by stratocatter

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

ALL of our QB development resources are going to get poured into the #1 overall pick. As they should. Because all these guys are gonna sink or swim based on the success or failure of this pick.

Yeah logically it shouldn’t all hinge on this pick (you should just play the best guy regardless of pick) but what you said is reality. 

The top picks will get tons of chances to prove themselves…hell even for other teams (Baker, Darnold, Sam Bradford, etc). 

14 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

It’s crazy. Our last coach ruined the word “rule” for me. 

Just seeing it/hearing that word triggers that “mouth watering before throwing up” sensation. 

I've seen similar reactions to the words "process" and "brand".

• Beer 1

Gantt seems to suggest we keep Corral:

Mailbag:
Question: I've been a Panthers fan since day one and am a regular reader of your column. After reading about the quarterback situation, I have one question: Why are we not talking about Matt Corral? He set records at Ole Miss, has a lightning-fast release and at least one pundit had him rated as the No. 1 QB prospect in the draft last year. Not to mention the fact that we traded up to get him! In all the QB conversations surrounding the Panthers this year, I gotta say that leaving him out of the conversation seems a bit ridiculous. — Skip, Greensboro, NC

Answer: Yeah, we never get the Weekly Matt Corral question in here. Thank goodness Skip brought that up.

I joke about that, but the Corral thing is pertinent again because of the recent quarterback-specific deal.

For one thing, Corral's still working his way back from last year's foot injury. As football injuries go, a Lisfranc is one of the big ones. Head coach Frank Reich acknowledged as much at the combine when he said he wasn't sure Corral was going to be ready for the start of OTAs. So his getting healthy again is the first step.

But the other thing to remember in all the attention on the one quarterback is that you almost always need more than one. So having another young quarterback with some promise on the roster is a good thing, not a bad one.

Once upon a time, Washington traded up to take Robert Griffin III. They used a fourth-round pick that same year on some guy named Kirk Cousins. You never know how these things are going to turn out.

Obviously, moving up to the first pick makes the guy you take there the priority, but Corral is already here and paid for. The same set of coaches who will be good for the first pick's development will be good for Corral's.

Anybody who thinks they're going to sell him for pennies on the dollar doesn't understand the game. I'm sure other teams will call to see if they're willing to give Corral away. There's no reason for them to do that, and I don't believe they're inclined to.

https://www.panthers.com/news/ask-the-old-guy-what-a-time-to-be-alive