• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers take advantage of a strong TE class or ignore drafting a TE since they signed Hurst?

jayboogieman

There's been more than enough of the Young vs Stroud debate. So, let's talk about something else. What is everyone's thoughts and opinions on the TEs and if the Panthers draft one?

TIGHT END RANKINGS 2023 NFL DRAFT

The 2022 NFL Draft was hardly a bountiful year for the tight end position, especially when compared to the 2021 class. 2023, fortunately, looks closer to 2021 thanks to Notre Dame’s Michael Mayer who looks at least in the 2022 pre-season, an almost slam dunk first-round prospect.

Mayer led the Irish in receptions the two previous years – a feat rarely achieved by a tight end. He’s got good speed – probably in the mid 4.6’s, has impressive size at 6-4 265, very soft hands, and catches pretty much everything thrown his way. He doesn’t quite have the athletic ceiling of a Kyle Pitts which probably will limit his draft stock to the mid to late first round.

After Mayer, there is a little drop off in quality although not athleticism. Darnell Washington from Georgia is huge and has the power to dominate - currently, he's more potential than production however but still likely a high day-two pick.

Sam LaPorta from Iowa is currently one of our safest prospects and he’s very much a traditional tight end with technique in spades but unexceptional overall athleticism.

The group is rounded out with a few players who probably will be picked somewhere in the third round in the form of Cameron Latu from Alabama, and Jahleel Billingsley from Texas.

NFLdraftbuzz

1. Dalton Kincaid, Utah

BIG BOARD RANK: 25

You'd like him to be a little bigger to make defenses respect him as a blocker, but he's the best receiving tight end in the class.

PFF

If you’re a team in need of a star tight end, the 2023 NFL Draft class has what you need. This class not only has a bonafide first-round prospect, but it also boasts plenty of depth in the Day 2 and 3 ranges. After the regular season, who are the top 10 tight ends in the 2023 NFL Draft? Let’s take a look.

profootballnetwork *This one is from December

1. Notre Dame image Michael Mayer*, TE, Notre Dame
Height: 6-5. Weight: 249. Arm: 31.63. Hand: 9.5.
Official 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2023): 1-2.

WalterFootball

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We should but based on how FA is going I won't be surprised if we pass on some really nice opportunities with TEs to reach on a WR out of borderline desperation.

11 minutes ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

Giving the signing of Hurst, the restructuring of Thomas, Tremble on the roster, 

I doubt Panther FO sees TE as top priority over wr in this upcoming draft.

This is what I'm thinking too and it's a classic Panthers' mistake.

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

This is what I'm thinking too and it's a classic Panthers' mistake.

The strength of this draft class is edge rushers and TEs. We have a huge need at TE. But we overpaid a mid-level FA. I hope it doesn't impact our draft plans but I don't know. We have a massive void at WR on paper right now. This feels like Gettleman's spamming picks at CBs draft coming up.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The strength of this draft class is edge rushers and TEs. We have a huge need at TE. But we overpaid a mid-level FA. I hope it doesn't impact our draft plans but I don't know. We have a massive void at WR on paper right now. This feels like Gettleman's spamming picks at CBs draft coming up.

It does feel like that CB draft. Except for Icky last year in what was considered a top heavy tackle class, I can't recall when the Panthers really took advantage of a draft's strengths.

7 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I see the team double dipping at WR unless they make a desperation FA signing.

I wouldn't be mad at that.  Just did a mock where we took BPA regardless of position and ended up with Josh Downs and Tank Dell

• Pie 1