• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is why Bryce Young undoubtedly is QB1

Ivory Panther

41 minutes ago, gofightwin said:

Lol I never made a Bryce Young Philly Brown analogy. I was just pointing out your dumb post. 

Edit: just realized you weren't the poster I was replying to in which you say was a dumb post.   I was responding with an illogical argument earlier to another poster.  Maybe try to understand the context of someone else's post?  I know that's hard to do. But good luck!

On 3/23/2023 at 3:27 PM, tukafan21 said:

His mental game is the only reason I'd be accepting of him if we draft him over Stroud.

Heard recently that a lot of times they would give him 2 plays to call in the huddle and then he would choose which play is run at the line of scrimmage.  That's not normal in college, normally at that level the whole offense is looking at the sideline and they signal in which play is being run.

I do love that about him.

But I still go back to... it doesn't matter how smart he is or how well he can throw the ball, if he can't stay on the field it doesn't matter, and I very much struggle to see his frame holding up over a long NFL career.

Your concerns were argued by your own point. You point out his mental game, stress how smart he is. Which indicates someone intelligent enough to protect his body. Only to turn around and say he's probably too fragile.

If he is a High IQ ball player then he knows how to protect himself from career changing injuries. And besides, if he sustained success in the highest rated conference in college football against future pro level athletes I think he can do it at the next level.

The size thing is getting old honestly. There have been plenty of smaller QBs that were successful and durable.

Russell Wilson was notorious for getting out of trouble in a saavy way and always finding a way to get down without taking a shot.

Edited by Diehardpanth02

15 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

Your concerns were argued by your own point. You point out his mental game, stress how smart he is. Which indicates someone intelligent enough to protect his body. Only to turn around and say he's probably too fragile.

If he is a High IQ ball player then he knows how to protect himself from career changing injuries. And besides, if he sustained success in the highest rated conference in college football against future pro level athletes I think he can do it at the next level.

The size thing is getting old honestly. There have been plenty of smaller QBs that were successful and durable.

Russell Wilson was notorious for getting out of trouble in a saavy way and always finding a way to get down without taking a shot.

Uh... no, no matter how high your IQ is, you still take shots at the QB position.

Wilson was significantly thicker built coming into the NFL than Young is, that's the difference.  Everyone who keeps saying the size argument is dumb, focuses on his height, but ignore that he'd be the lightest QB taken in the first round probably ever, at least in the last 20 some years.

And there haven't been "plenty of smaller QB's who were successful and durable", it's barely a handful who have been sub 6 feet and had long successful NFL careers.  Wilson, Sonny Jurgensen, and Doug Flutie are probably the 3 best 5'11" or shorter, when you include 6 feet you get Brees, Tarkenton, Vick, Len Dawson, Theismann.

In the history of the game Doug Flutie is likely the 8th best QB of all time 6 feet or under, don't say there have been plenty of short successful QBs.  

Young is shorter than all of them except Flutie and is the lightest of them all as well.  

That's not insignificant

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Uh... no, no matter how high your IQ is, you still take shots at the QB position.

Wilson was significantly thicker built coming into the NFL than Young is, that's the difference.  Everyone who keeps saying the size argument is dumb, focuses on his height, but ignore that he'd be the lightest QB taken in the first round probably ever, at least in the last 20 some years.

And there haven't been "plenty of smaller QB's who were successful and durable", it's barely a handful who have been sub 6 feet and had long successful NFL careers.  Wilson, Sonny Jurgensen, and Doug Flutie are probably the 3 best 5'11" or shorter, when you include 6 feet you get Brees, Tarkenton, Vick, Len Dawson, Theismann.

In the history of the game Doug Flutie is likely the 8th best QB of all time 6 feet or under, don't say there have been plenty of short successful QBs.  

Young is shorter than all of them except Flutie and is the lightest of them all as well.  

That's not insignificant

It is insignificant. The dude has more pocket awareness than any QB we have ever had under center in Carolina. His ability to read a defense and understand situational football and his feel in the pocket renders all of that insignificant. Football is a dangerous game, and size plays a role in the trenches but not in his position as much. Sure being bigger helps, but it doesn't make or break a QB. 💩 Go tell Darren Sproles, Barry Sanders, Ladanian Tomlinson, Steve Smith, Bob Sanders, Kyler Murray, Wes Welker, Antoine Winfield they're to small to play in this league.

I could go on and on and on with SOOO many more names. And everyone of those players faced off against the very same monsters Bryce Young will. And in an era of football that Bryce will never have to face. Being hyper focused on height and weight and completely disregarding his special skillsets makes me hopeful our new and improved staff aren't as naive.

Football is a game of chess, and will power. And if your heart is bigger than the next guy, it doesn't matter how big you are you can find a way to beat him. 

But hey sure, let's ignore a once in a generation mind at the position cuz he's "small".

Edited by Diehardpanth02

13 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

It is insignificant. The dude has more pocket awareness than any QB we have ever had under center in Carolina. His ability to read a defense and understand situational football and his feel in the pocket renders all of that insignificant. Football is a dangerous game, and size plays a role in the trenches but not in his position as much. Sure being bigger helps, but it doesn't make or break a QB. 💩 Go tell Darren Sproles, Barry Sanders, Ladanian Tomlinson, Steve Smith, Bob Sanders, Kyler Murray, Wes Welker, Antoine Winfield they're to small to play in this league.

I could go on and on and on with SOOO many more names. And everyone of those players faced off against the very same monsters Bryce Young will. And in an era of football that Bryce will never have to face. Being hyper focused on height and weight and completely disregarding his special skillsets makes me hopeful our new and improved staff aren't as naive.

Football is a game of chess, and will power. And if your heart is bigger than the next guy, it doesn't matter how big you are you can find a way to beat him. 

But hey sure, let's ignore a once in a generation mind at the position cuz he's "small".

His size doesn't disqualify him, it's just one part of the equation, if he was a once in a generation prospect, he'd be the pick without question and Chicago wouldn't have even traded it.

If it was him vs AR or Levis, then yea, you take Young.

But Stroud is looked at by almost everyone as an equally graded prospect in his own right, when that is the other option, the size factor becomes much more relevant.

And naming other small players who have been successful really doesn't mean jack poo, they're the massive exceptions, not the norm.  And we're talking about what would be the smallest successful QB of all time if he works out, he's be the exception of the exceptions if he can hold up and last a full career.  It also means even less to name players of other positions, QB is an entirely different beast, you literally couldn't have a Barry Sanders or Darren Sproles sized QB in the NFL, just would not work.

As I've said before, if we were the worst team in the league and already had the pick, I'd be more open to taking him (spoiler alert, I'm still taking Stroud then too), but after everything we gave up to get here, it's too big of a risk to take.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

His size doesn't disqualify him, it's just one part of the equation, if he was a once in a generation prospect, he'd be the pick without question and Chicago wouldn't have even traded it.

If it was him vs AR or Levis, then yea, you take Young.

But Stroud is looked at by almost everyone as an equally graded prospect in his own right, when that is the other option, the size factor becomes much more relevant.

And naming other small players who have been successful really doesn't mean jack poo, they're the massive exceptions, not the norm.  And we're talking about what would be the smallest successful QB of all time if he works out, he's be the exception of the exceptions if he can hold up and last a full career.  It also means even less to name players of other positions, QB is an entirely different beast, you literally couldn't have a Barry Sanders or Darren Sproles sized QB in the NFL, just would not work.

As I've said before, if we were the worst team in the league and already had the pick, I'd be more open to taking him (spoiler alert, I'm still taking Stroud then too), but after everything we gave up to get here, it's too big of a risk to take.

I'll just leave it at this. Those RBs mentioned take far more hits from the biggest players in the game.

Your burying yourself with your own argument. The positions don't matter. They all take hits. 

Anywho, we agree to disagree. Thanks for the banter.

2 hours ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

You can't compare other positions to QB position because there is no comparison at all there between them. It's not the same.

Edited by PantherOnTheProwl1523

Young is bar none the better QB prospect aside from his size. Honestly I worry CJ Stroud’s stock is a little inflated because of the UGA game and having Marvin Harrison Jr who is as good a WR prospect since AJ Green. He is going to be an all pro. 

I am fine with either QB. Stroud is the “safe” pick. Young is the higher upside pick. It comes down to who Reich thinks fits his offense better and that’s probably Stroud. But I won’t be upset if Young is the pick and totally understand why they’d pick him. If they can design an offense to protect him, Young could be very good for a long time.