• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kaye's X-Factor: System Fit

Mr. Scot

12 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah. I would say you also have to consider things like there is a different #1 QB almost every year, different MVP (usually QB) every year, and they have a different team and at least some different coaches every year. So who's the "best" and what at and why is fluid

I honestly don't even bother trying to look for "the best".

To me there will always be just two categories of quarterbacks: Those who are good enough to win the Super Bowl and those who aren't.

As long as you've got somebody who fits in Category A, I don't really give a sh-t if he's ranked number one or number three or number five or number whatever on somebody's top ten list?

I know some folks love rankings. All I really care about is winning. So if the guy we take ends up not being the better of the two, I won't really care as long as we win with him.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Ivory Panther said:

No! U take the best player & it’s up to any coach to put them in the best situation to win.

if ur coaching staff can’t put the best player in position to reach his full potential, u got the wrong staff anyway.

unless the player has character or current health concerns, u don’t give him up to ur competition.

That shouldn’t even be up for debate for any org that wants to consistently win. 

It's a good thing Stroud just happens to both fit the system and is the better QB.  Stroud has better mechanics, arm strength, ball placement, vision, and a quick release.  The idea that a QB is better cause he runs around till the play breaks down and finds an open receiver is ridiculous.  Young's arm strength(or lack there of) will cause problems for him in the NFL.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 5
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

It's a good thing Stroud just happens to both fit the system and is the better QB.  Stroud has better mechanics, arm strength, ball placement, vision, and a quick release.  The idea that a QB is better cause he runs around till the play breaks down and finds an open receiver is ridiculous.  Young's arm strength(or lack there of) will cause problems for him in the NFL.

That’s an argument I disagree with but respect because in ur opinion CJ is better…

In my opinion bryce is better at processing, better against pressure (eye test & statistically) better in the clutch (eye test). Ball placement is comparable with slight edge to CJ (both r way above average) not worried abt mechanics if they both very accurate. CJ has a slightly bigger arm. Bryce has better vision due to elite processing & knowing Whr everyone is including defenders. both have quick releases…

It also depends on what our staff values.

personally I value processing, ability to handle pressure & clutch in big moments.

I give Bryce a big edge in these categories while also being equally accurate with a slightly lesser arm strength.  

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Ivory Panther said:

If u r a real profile, u should know that Scot has been disrespecting me awhile now w/o any provocation from me.

he was even called out by some ppl here but he never apologized.

I confronted him & he decided to double down with the disrespect (even today) so from this point on, I have zero respect for him.

I want all of his smoke, until he decides to respect me & behave like the adult he claims to be. 

🙄

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, jfra78 said:

So Stroud is the better QB, better fit, bigger, taller, stronger, better arm, etc. - how is there even a debate for the first overall pick? Something doesn’t really add up.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

So Stroud is the better QB, better fit, bigger, taller, stronger, better arm, etc. - how is there even a debate for the first overall pick? Something doesn’t really add up.

Glad you see it my way

• Beer 2

it’s a fun debate and it’s fun to be relevant this time of year 

Why  anyone is getting all up in their ‘feels’ over this is hard to fathom 

Fact is, my opinion doesn’t matter. ….nor do I lose my job if I screw up.

The  Panthers  ‘all star’ coaching staff knows more than we do, intimately, both about these candidates,  about the vision they have for the offense plus all the small things, that a nfl qb needs to do that we would never take into account 

I have no favorite  I have concerns about both Young and Stroud but will not bitch about who they take 

Tepper, this iteration, has put people in place based on due diligence.  

If the staff and draft pick fail, it’s not because he didn’t attempt to vet the pick and coaching staff 

Many  times greatness of a qb to coach marriage is luck, pure, unadulterated luck.

We will see if Frank has luck. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Not that I agree with this, but there will always be "debates" from the outside looking in.  It might not be much of a debate behind closed doors (could be for Young or Stroud).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/621052-cam-newton-vs-blaine-gabbert-the-great-debate

• Beer 1

On 4/3/2023 at 11:57 AM, rayzor said:

like i said before i miss him. that era was probably the most exciting for me and he's probably my favorite panther personality of all time next to smitty. 

it's not being obsessed, though, when you notice similarities between people who came here and became panther fans because of Cam back in 2011 and people who have joined here lately because of either Young or Stroud. Seems like there's more Young fans though.

I think y’all confuse Cam’s impact on the team. He made the Panthers relevant and more popular. As popularity grew so did things like the Huddle. I came here in 2011, but was a fan of the Panthers long before Cam. 

Fans are fans and don’t think we should label them as being a “Stan” just because they like or support a player. 

8 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

I think y’all confuse Cam’s impact on the team. He made the Panthers relevant and more popular. As popularity grew so did things like the Huddle. I came here in 2011, but was a fan of the Panthers long before Cam. 

Fans are fans and don’t think we should label them as being a “Stan” just because they like or support a player. 

i never had a problem with it, tbh. whatever it took to get more fans in pantherland and in here i was cool with. i figured, in fact, that will a personality as dynamic as his and with winning, that we were going to get "bandwagon" fans who ended up sticking around and we did. the truth is for all of us that were around before 1995, we became bandwagon fans of the panthers. that's how we start out. some migrate in and and some migrate in and stay. i'm cool with either. 

The thing that gets me is so far the only folks in any of the 2023 rookie QB camps that have gone out of their way to crap on Cam Newton or Jake Delhomme are staunchly pro Bryce.

I've also just seen one today dunking on Malik Willis who is apparently now a confirmed bust.

But keep talking about Cam like these cringy Bryce Young extremists are not a part of the problem. To me it's basically the Sam Darnold homerism kicked up several notches.

12 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

It doesn't add it up because a general feeling is that Young would be considered a generational prospect at QB of the likes of Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence if he had the prototypical frame, which he doesn't. Therefore, Stroud and Richardson are in the discussion for first overall pick

The "perfect" prospect at QB in this draft would be Anthony Richardson's size and athleticism with Young's mental approach and understanding of football. 

CJ Stroud is the safest of the top 3 Qbs. He is about 9 - 15 pounds heavier than Bryce and I think could get to 225lbs comfortably. Also, he has 25 starts compared to Richardson's 13 at Florida. 

My question with Stroud is his ceiling. He has a high floor. However, can he build on the Georgia game and use his athleticism more to create plays off script? His accuracy throwing on the run wasnt as good.