• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Mortensen: Bryce Young is the pick, they all love Bryce Young

TheSpecialJuan

8 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

Hard to get past how rough Chris looks and sounds. Grew up with this guy talking football, he’s a staple of the NFL for me. And I’m with some of you folks, I don’t watch ESPN these days unless it’s a game I’m interested in. Really sad to see. 

I think ESPN has a decent successor to Mortensen in Adam Schefter.

They've been trying forever to groom Todd McShay as their eventual successor to Mel Kiper and I just don't see it working.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Hey I loved Bogues.  He played here 10 years,  mostly as a  starter.  During his time in Charlotte, the Hornets rose from mediocrity to a serious contender taking the team to the playoffs for the first time and then again the next 2 years.   

He still holds the steal record for the Hornets. He wasn't great at rebounds or blocked shots tho.

You're right he's no Steph Curry, but who is?

He single handily lost the bull series with the best hornet team ever.  

27 minutes ago, stan786 said:

They are 100% giving the other QBs every opportunity to change their minds. No reason to not do proper due diligence.

And that's the thing.

We keep getting reporters saying it's this guy or it's that guy when the reality Is that decision just has not been made yet.

They're ultimately just making educated guesses.

(some more educated than others)

Edited by Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think ESPN has a decent successor to Mortensen in Adam Schefter.

They've been trying forever to groom Todd McShay as their eventual successor to Mel Kiper and I just don't see it working.

Mel Kiper both kinda created and kinda ruined draft coverage. He was the guy who initially made the draft "his" thing and was the guy who started this trend of making hard definitive statements about guys who have never played a down in the NFL. He's a can't miss prospect. He's a plug and play starter. He's a ten year All-Pro. Draft this guy and you don't have to worry about this position for a decade. All that poo traces back to helmet hair.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Mel Kiper both kinda created and kinda ruined draft coverage. He was the guy who initially made the draft "his" thing and was the guy who started this trend of making hard definitive statements about guys who have never played a down in the NFL. He's a can't miss prospect. He's a plug and play starter. He's a ten year All-Pro. Draft this guy and you don't have to worry about this position for a decade. All that poo traces back to helmet hair.

"Who the hell is Mel Kiper" will always be one of the funniest moments in draft history 😄

My personal opinion: Daniel Jeremiah is the best of the draftniks right now.

Used to be Mike Mayock but man did that stint with the Raiders hurt his rep.

(even If it really was Gruden making the choices)

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And that's the thing.

We keep getting reporters saying it's this guy or it's that guy when the reality Is that decision just has not been made yet.

They're ultimately just making educated guesses.

(some more educated than others)

Sure but the longer this goes on where we are getting similar comments that basically say it’s Bryce and it’s up to others to change their mind, the others have less and less chances to actually change their mind.

Does anyone know when the individual visits for the QBs are here? Once we get through them I imagine we’ll start hearing one name a lot more than the others.

8 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Offers for #1 kicked into overdrive after the combine, you also had Derek Carr being considered at that time. Panthers said the trade was about controlling their destiny. They couldn't afford to wait.

I think it's more likely that they went into it liking Young and the combine added others to the conversation.

Possible, sure.  I don't think we were ever considering Carr at his market value though--Fitterer's stance about not going for LJ because QBs on market are expensive translates to pretty much any free agent 

Just now, stan786 said:

Sure but the longer this goes on where we are getting similar comments that basically say it’s Bryce and it’s up to others to change their mind, the others have less and less chances to actually change their mind.

Does anyone know when the individual visits for the QBs are here? Once we get through them I imagine we’ll start hearing one name a lot more than the others.

They're all upcoming. We likely won't get a date until closer to the actual day of the visits.

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

Feel bad for Chris 

He has really been through it the past few years 

That treatment for stage 4 throat cancer in January sure has taken a toll on him 

it is rough to watch him. i feel really bad for him but i'm glad he's still pushing and doing his thing.

• Beer 1

He is my number 1, so color me excited. At the same time I won't be mad if the pivot to stroud. To me it's a win, win. I think as we have gotten closer to the draft the narrative has slowly switched to Bryce. Where ther is smoke there fire. 

Again it's a win/win, I'll be ordering the jersey no matter who it is.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

it is rough to watch him. i feel really bad for him but i'm glad he's still pushing and doing his thing.

Creation of the NFL Network definitely hurt the ESPN Insiders.

These days, the league is always going to give the best info to their in-house guys.