• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Propose theoretical changes to the draft that you think would be interesting

Growl

These don’t have to be good changes. Just propose changes. Here’s a few I drummed up:

-Abolish 3rd round compensatory picks, making Draft Day 3 better. Then-expand the draft to 8 rounds. Why? Why not?

-Have Day 1 of the draft on Friday night. Then Day 2 of the draft the following Friday. Then have day 3 of the draft the following Friday. (I hate this idea, but the media hype cycle for 4th round selections could be entertaining)

-show coverage of every team’s selection, even deep into the draft, not just the ones made by NFC east teams

-don’t let literally any organization, entity business, or literally just a seeming random collection of people, that wants to announce pick for the nfl draft announce a pick. Not to be a miser but I kinda agree with mayock here, maybe the kid being drafted in the 5th round out of North Dakota tech should get the spotlight, not a goat that can spit water through a balloon at the pensacola zoo. Im sorry goat, i mean no offense but this isn’t your moment.

-safeguards to ensure the nfl never has a lottery. I say this because I figure that if great quarterbacks like burrow and Lawrence and whomever the Panthers take continue to transform hard luck franchises, the legacy sports media is going get tired of watching the patriots lose games to the Jaguars and start pushing for changes to be made to the draft process. Remember how badly they wanted Joe burrow to force his way out of Cincy prior to the draft?

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 1

Honestly I don't think there needs to be changes. I do agree that there should never be a draft lottery but I'm not sure realistic the possibility of that happening is. 

I like the format of round 1 on Thursday, 2-3 on Friday, and 4-7 on Saturday during the day. I feel like it gives GMs and coaches enough time to prepare but doesn't drag it out. The talking heads are going to do what they do regardless, and especially as the picks come quicker and quicker on day 2 and 3, they can only talk about so many picks as they happen.

Also just for kicks I propose that it's contractually obligated for the NFL to go to commercial break whenever we pick, regardless of where that lands. I want to see the first ever NFL draft that begins on a commercial break.

On stage next to the podium stands a former NFL legend holding 2 Pete Rozell dolls behind his back. One is filled with styrofoam and the other is filled with pennies. Before the selection Roger Goodell has to chose right or left and then gets slapped in the head with whichever doll he chooses. The the pick is made.

2 minutes ago, mccjeff said:

On stage next to the podium stands a former NFL legend holding 2 Pete Rozell dolls behind his back. One is filled with styrofoam and the other is filled with pennies. Before the selection Roger Goodell has to chose right or left and then gets slapped in the head with whichever doll he chooses. The the pick is made.

is the player name within the doll or is this just a ceremonial way of prefacing a selection 

The super bowl winner should always have the last pick of the draft, as a kind of prize. It isn’t beneficial to be picking after all the comp picks, so maybe award them an additional pick right at the end, a final celebration and a small, but practical, reward for winning it all. Have Mr. Irrelevant hold his jersey while posing next to the Lombardi. 

Edited by Growl