• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josh Klein on the recent Bryce “smoke”

ncfan

21 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I really think the whole trade up scenario is a pipe dream by some people who would rather have Stroud.

Think this is a pretty good take on things

By this point and this late.  If they called up Houston, Houston is going to Know they probably aren’t taking the guy Houston wants, and that guy will be there at 2 anyways.  And they aren’t trading out of the top 2, so no threat of trading with someone else who will poach that guy.

Houston doesn’t seem to motivated to move up either.

I believe it was Sheena Quick and possibly Joe Person yesterday who said no one has even called to inquire/offer to move to 1.

This has already been pointed out a million times 

Which is why a trade makes zero sense 

Just now, run-run-pass-punt said:

If I'm Houston, I would think it would be so easy to find out if it's just smoke. Inquire about a move up and if we indicate a willingness to consider it, it means that we *aren't* set on our guy as BY, which mean he will most likely be there at #2.

So the mere openness to negotiate, if the BY talk is smoke, gives away the charade, rendering any talks pointless - from the Texans' perspective.

Anyone can change their mind if the price is right.  Panthers should take the call and simply ask Houston to make an offer.  If the offer makes the Panthers comfortable taking QB 1b, than accept the offer.

Houston may just want peace of mind and are willing to pay for it.  No mind games are necessary.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Anyone can change their mind if the price is right.  Panthers should take the call and simply ask Houston to make an offer.  If the offer makes the Panthers comfortable taking QB 1b, than accept the offer.

Houston may just want peace of mind and are willing to pay for it.  No mind games are necessary.

If Houston calls, and we seem even willing to move for the right price.

Then we don’t have conviction on the guy they want.  And Houston will know right away that their guy will be there at 2.

Edited by ncfan

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

Then we don’t have conviction on the guy they want.  And Houston will know right away that their guy will be there at 2.

False. 

Both teams might like the same guy best.

They don't know who we like and we don't know who they like.  All we know is that at the right price we can be happy with either.

Houston may want to roll the dice and hope we don't pick their guy.  But if they want peace of mind, they will need to pay for it.

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

As of right now it looks like we are leaning towards Young, but still like Stroud.  Even when we moved up the pick was still for sale as reported.  All I am saying is if Houston falls in love with Young they may come calling just to see what it will take to secure their guy.  Say we like 3 QBs, a team could jump to 3 and trade with us for their guy as well, jumping Houston.  Now if we like Young a lot more than Stroud then we should just say the pick isn't for sale.  I doubt any of these happen, it's just working out that our pick was for sale and we are leaning towards the guy Houston wants at 2.

12 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

False. 

Both teams might like the same guy best.

They don't know who we like and we don't know who they like.  All we know is that at the right price we can be happy with either.

Houston may want to roll the dice and hope we don't pick their guy.  But if they want peace of mind, they will need to pay for it.

If they call

and we’re willing to move

they know exactly who like most.

And it wouldn’t be Bryce who they want.

which means.  We would be taking Stroud and Bryce would be available to them at 2

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

Touche, but I'm still calling BS on them being mostly 50/50 up to now. Everything I've seen has been more in line with the Huddle polls.

My point stands: CJ is the least controversial pick of the bunch. Saying that as someone who prefers Bryce. Most negative thing I've heard thrown at CJ is that he was surrounded by talent.

Dude, have you even read the scouting reports? I'd say that the most negative thing is that Stroud just becomes very inconsistent when the pressure starts coming. Under pressure, there is a marked dropoff in his game. That's coming from multiple analysts, but I'll quote Sam Monson from PFF.

"Stroud’s biggest weakness has been play under pressure — outside of his college playoff game against Georgia this season. His PFF grade from a clean pocket this season finished at 93.4 but dropped to 42.0 when he was pressured. His 10.3 yards per attempt from a clean pocket became 5.7 when under duress, and he ranked in just the 10th percentile in PFF grade under pressure. The game against Georgia showed that he has it in him to excel in those circumstances, but the rest of his college tape shows he hasn’t been able to do it consistently."

Anyone that isn't aware of this criticism of Stroud's game just hasn't been paying attention

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1