• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN’s Matt Miller: “There's a lot of like for C.J. Stroud there, but Bryce won the entire organization over.”

FuFuLamePoo

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i think they went into the pro day tour with the intention of having an open mind about all four, but there was already a contingent of people within the organization (not owners) who were sold on Young already. CJ was thought of highly and they liked him, but Young was the one (as i've found out, because my impression was that they liked CJ the most) that they had in front pretty much the whole time. i think any discussion they had was, especially after the trade, "we think Young is the guy, but try and convince us otherwise" and they just couldn't do it. all signs kept pointing back to Young as the best QB prospect.

They were comfortable, from what i've heard, with one other choice when they were sitting at 9, but when they got to #1 there was really only 1 guy they felt good at all about.

Good insight Rayzor. I know we have a litany if insiders that pop up every once in a while, so is this info coming from sources? 

I always got the impression from listening to Fiterrer that he loved Young and that Frank like CJ. But I think Frank is much more willing join the consensus since he is big on collaboration. Not meaning that he is a push over, but if he saw the two QBs close he would be the mover.

Edited by Jaxel

9 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Good insight Rayzor. I know we have a litany if insiders that pop up every once in a while, so is this info coming from sources? 

I always got the impression from listening to Fiterrer that he loved Young and that Frank like CJ. But I think Frank is much more willing join the consensus since he is big on collaboration. Not meaning that he is a push over, but if he saw the two QBs close he would be the mover.

From a couple places that in the past had some reliable knowledge, usually just with draft stuff. The crazy thing is it all but dried up with Rhule there and the only stuff I heard was blips about discontentment. Seems like doors are opened up again. 

Regardless, I won't give specific information I've heard (and there hasn't been much, tbh) but I feel comfortable backing up other things that have been said by a couple others. That @The Crown and the Claw has been on point with the stuff I've heard and he's said some things that I hadn't heard yet. 

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, Martin said:

Is there a non-paywall version? 

Here's the full text on the Panthers pick...

After months of scouting and interviews, the Panthers appear to be set on Young. He is a poised competitor with awesome accuracy on the move and an ability to find passing windows despite a smaller 5-foot-10, 204-pound frame. Young is NFL-ready thanks to his fast-processing ability and what he offers as a creator when plays break down.

Multiple sources told me that once the Panthers' coaching staff dove back into the film on Young, it was convinced he should be the No. 1 pick. "There's a lot of like for C.J. Stroud there, especially in the coaching ranks, but Bryce won the entire organization over," said one former team executive with knowledge of the team's plans.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I think Mrs. Tepper hugging Young has been obscenely over exaggerated here. Jfc that doesn’t mean that she or her husband prefer Young at all, much less enough to try to influence his football guys to take him. Maybe she just got the impression he’s a hugger. Maybe they had just finished some deep insightful conversation and it seemed appropriate. Maybe she felt like since he looks like a little kid she should hug him like a little kid.  This is a case of Occams Razor, if they take Young, it’s because the consensus among the football people was that he gives us the best chance to win. 

I think the way fans have been acting towards the inclusion of Mrs. Tepper in the process from the beginning has been ridiculous tbh. I mean honestly, it comes across as borderline misogynistic half the time. 

She’s basically the co-owner of the team and has been involved with the business side for at least 2 seasons now. Who cares if she’s involved, because she’s well within her right to be. 

Also fwiw, she was very interactive with CJ on his Pro Day too if that makes y’all feel any better.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

How'd you jump to that?

I didn't get the sense from this that it was a Tepper pick.

Here's what caught my eye though...

...said one former team executive with knowledge of the team's plans.

Would imagine that's gotta be Pat Stewart.

We parted ways with Stewart in February. He rejoined the Patriots in March. I'd question how much of the draft process he actually knows.

Edited by Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I didn't get the sense from this that it was a Tepper pick.

Here's what caught my eye though...

...said one former team executive with knowledge of the team's plans.

Would imagine that's gotta be Pat Stewart.

We parted ways with Stewart in February. He rejoined the Patriots in March. I'd question how much of the draft process he actually knows.

He might still have some people he's tight with here and I'm sure they talk about it all. There's not much that's going on that involves or requires a lot of strategy in dealing with other teams so it doesn't really matter what stuff gets leaked about what is going on.

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

He might still have some people he's tight with here and I'm sure they talk about it all. There's not much that's going on that involves or requires a lot of strategy in dealing with other teams so it doesn't really matter what stuff gets leaked about what is going on.

The team has generally been very good at keeping leaks plugged this year though.

15 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Here is his Panthers picks

1. Bryce Young

39. Cedric Tillman, WR

93. Nick Herbig, ILB

114. Dylan Hortan DE

132. Garret Wiliams, DE

145. Jimmie Robinson, S

I like Tillman, but probably not as a 2nd round pick and I feel like Herbig might be a steal for somebody as a 3-4 OLB. 

Don’t know much about anybody else here though.

16 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Here is his Panthers picks

1. Bryce Young

39. Cedric Tillman, WR

93. Nick Herbig, ILB

114. Dylan Hortan DE

132. Garret Wiliams, DE

145. Jimmie Robinson, S

Id be a little bummed if we passed on McDonald who went one pick after us in this mock for Tillman, but he did try and hammer the defense late.

I have no comment other than that I have a grudge against Matt Miller. He had a podcast after CAR lost to NOLA in the playoffs in which Cam played one of the best games by a QB I have ever seen and him and his podcast host had the fuging audacity to come away from that game saying we needed a new QB. fuging ridiculous.