• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Move over Matt Rhule, the Rivera era was the real disaster

10 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Rhule is one of the worst coaches the NFL has ever seen, but he probably could have lucked into a winning season with Cam and Luke. 

Doesn’t work like that though. Rhule couldn’t even manage Teddy Bridgewater’s personality.   Cam wouldn’t have even been drafted by Rhule.  He probably trades the pick and brings in some Vinny T type.  Vinny T type that would follow his bullshit BRAND.  Don’t forget Cam was roasting all the bullhshit he saw day 1 that existed in Carolina.  Also, there is no way Matt Rhule wasn’t tossing folks under the bus hard as Cam struggled in year 2.  Namely Cam. 

Matt Rhule was a bad coach.  Our worst.  But I got no further interest in discussing something that isn’t needed. 

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I could argue that if Gettleman had acquired a competent LT to protect Cam, then we'd have a Super Bowl championship right now. He was solely responsible for the worst contract signing in franchise history in my book. I am not enamored in the slightest with Gentleman's roster construction. He may not have "wasted" them, but had he done his job better, Cam and Luke would be champs, and Rivera would've never had his tiny run as defacto GM.

You could argue a fairly or decently called Super Bowl would have resulted in a W.   Denver got a lot to get Peyton the ride off into the sunset.   

Rivera took us from the dark years of the Fox Era into multiple years of relevance, but you call him worse than Rhule ?, who was a complete joke , is it a failure that he didn't win a ring with a generational QB like Cam , yes,but we did succeed with him , and I am grateful 

I bet even Cam,Luke,and Greg would tell you the same 

Some of you people are so ungrateful and disrespectful I am embarrassed we like the same team

Yeah, tell me something I didn’t know about run-run-PASS-PUNT Rivera from Year One until the tragic end.

It was OBVIOUS that Rivera was a shitty coach only saved, year after year, by amazing talent at QB and LB saving his ass.

Anyone still surprised by that at this point is a goddam idiot.

Had Rhule been here in 2011, he would have pushed to draft someone like Marcel Dareus, because this is a process and rolled with Derek Anderson. 

As much as I wasn’t a fan of Rivera by the end of his tenure, you can thank him for playing a big role in us getting Cam. Didn’t realize that we weren’t set on drafting Cam within 48 hours of the draft until I read this article about this years Draft process…

There wasn’t clarity at this point in 2011, the last time Carolina had the top pick. The staff was divided on whether to take Auburn quarterback Cam Newton to the point the situation had become volatile during a meeting less than 48 hours before the draft, according to a person who was in the room that day.

There were questions about Newton’s decision-making and his unique style as a dual-threat quarterback. There were questions about his character going back to his freshman year at Florida, when he stole a laptop, and later when he was accused of having a pay-for-play plan to go to Mississippi State.

Then-first year coach Ron Rivera angrily told everyone in the room he was tired of hearing what Newton couldn’t do for the organization and demanded they focus on what Newton could do.

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/37621/how-panthers-no-1-pick-process-has-been-different-this-time-around

The Rhule era brought us here to this opportunity today. The Rivera era brought us to a SB unprepared. Idk who frustrated me more at this point but I will say Rivera was more annoying to look at after a clearly bad decision, Rhule had a more punchable face. Some days I dislike one more than the other but at this point outside of Fox all of them can go fug themselves tbh. Hopefully Reich can be the guy that gets us over the hump. 

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

Comparing two turds. Rivera was the better coach. And because of that Rivers’s results were more disappointing than Rhules,  but not worse. 

I'd take rivera for the less annoying voice and guy that actually played in the NFL even if they sucked equally. The real question is what if ron had Fitt as GM and actually had a decent O-line?

I think any real sense of hope during the Rhule era was completely dulled in that slog of a second season. That should have been the end of it. That start of the season, winning those games against the Sickly Saints, the Jests starting a rookie, and the Terrible Texans was the only time there was even a glimmer of playoff hopes.

Rivera at least made it to the post-season a couple of times.