• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes vs Islanders game 5 7pm

Panthers Fan 69

2 hours ago, DavidEng said:

Aho just said in the interview “the guy probably was aiming for my face”. I wondered the same thing, how could you miss the net that wide and that high?

I misquoted Aho, in rewatching his interview he actually said “the guy was probably not aiming for my face” when talking about Engvall’s shot.

Just like the Boston series last year I expect this to go 7 games. And also like last year, I think the canes get trashed in round 2 by the rangers or devils. Hard to see a team with such an anemic offense and tendency to play lazy doing much of anything going forward.

Edited by BIGH2001
  • Pie 3

I tend to disagree outside of moments on the we played hard aspect. We played really disjointed. Slavin was off, burns was off, Necas kept trying to get too fancy around the blue line. We let them poke check the puck on entry just enough to have a set play goal called back. Then they started pushing Noesen below the goal line. Overall, it didn’t really feel like a team effort. Get a couple days rest cause I suspect Raanta is going back in for game 6 knowing rod. Run drills on Thursday. 

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, DavidEng said:

I misquoted Aho, in rewatching his interview he actually said “the guy was probably not aiming for my face” when talking about Engvall’s shot.

Ummm he didn’t even shoot it on net. I think he was aiming for aho’s body but…

Also what was up with Raanta, he just froze when he saw Aho take the puck and the blood flow. This isn’t practice dude. Seal that short side off. 

• Pie 1

I did think Slavin/Burns were off.  However, we carried play for a long stretch, and their first two goals were absolute flukes. And with the one we had that was disallowed/the bounce off Aho and the bounce off the boards to give them a breakaway/Staal not burying his early one--i just feel like a bounce here or there it would have been a different game. I think we'll close it out Friday.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

I did think Slavin/Burns were off.  However, we carried play for a long stretch, and their first two goals were absolute flukes. And with the one we had that was disallowed/the bounce off Aho and the bounce off the boards to give them a breakaway/Staal not burying his early one--i just feel like a bounce here or there it would have been a different game. I think we'll close it out Friday.

You know Slavin is off if he lets the puck out of the zone from a pass more than once a game. 

• Pie 3

Just now, Harbingers said:

You know Slavin is off if he lets the puck out of the zone from a pass more than once a game. 

for sure. he looked tired and just not all there. but for me--to have our top D pairing play kinda trashy, AND be without three of our top 6 to not even count Drury---I feel like we were a bounce away. We're gonna go give them a handshake line in their own building. I'm okay with slaying those road demons in this series.  If literally nothing else, this playoffs slaying road demons is enough to take away from this playoffs along with the division banner to make a true 100% run at it next year with Svech/Patches and to step on the gas at trade deadline/do something big time at goalie

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

There were a couple lapses, but there were a couple fluky goals for NY as well.

So, here's my take: If you put 36 shots on goal with a goalie who gives up rebounds like the Easter bunny gives up jelly beans, you gotta take advantage. The Isles play stay home defense around the net because they know 2 things: Sorokin will give up rebounds and the Canes have net front.

Canes need to cycle quicker and rotate 2 guys to the front of the crease. If given the opportunity, shoot the damn puck. If there's a lane, shoot it.

Raanta needs the extra day of rest. And now, with a 3-2 series, does RBA go with Freddie, knowing he'll give up and easy 1 or 2 goals and hope the Canes can repeat their 5-goal performance? Or do they stick with Raanta on 2 days rest? Personally, I'm not sure how committed Andersen is to the organization at this point. He's a UFA and has lost the crease to his backup. Not sure myself, just throwing it out there.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

There were a couple lapses, but there were a couple fluky goals for NY as well.

So, here's my take: If you put 36 shots on goal with a goalie who gives up rebounds like the Easter bunny gives up jelly beans, you gotta take advantage. The Isles play stay home defense around the net because they know 2 things: Sorokin will give up rebounds and the Canes have net front.

Canes need to cycle quicker and rotate 2 guys to the front of the crease. If given the opportunity, shoot the damn puck. If there's a lane, shoot it.

Raanta needs the extra day of rest. And now, with a 3-2 series, does RBA go with Freddie, knowing he'll give up and easy 1 or 2 goals and hope the Canes can repeat their 5-goal performance? Or do they stick with Raanta on 2 days rest? Personally, I'm not sure how committed Andersen is to the organization at this point. He's a UFA and has lost the crease to his backup. Not sure myself, just throwing it out there.

I agree, Andersen has checked out, and Raanta needs to rest and reset, put the rookie in for game 6 and hope for the best

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

Just like the Boston series last year I expect this to go 7 games. And also like last year, I think the canes get trashed in round 2 by the rangers or devils. Hard to see a team with such an anemic offense and tendency to play lazy doing much of anything going forward.

There is no doubting they need to step it up if they plan on going anywhere.

• Pie 1