• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So let’s talk about Levis

NAS

After last night, I think the whole Levis link to the Colts was leaked by them to protect AR. If they can sell they are interested in Levis, a team below them wont feel as pressured to trade to #3 if they like AR, thinking they might be able to stay put.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

If history is any indicator...

wayne-brady-damn.gif

Look for similar conversations next draft 😕

Precisely.  As always, it's somewhere in between.

Between those beating the Levis drum for months on end (we know who you are...) and those unnecessarily panning the guy's character and whatnot.  Teams have legit concerns, we don't really know the details, and we can claim we do, or over analyze to the inth-degree, but they just didn't see a R1 guy at the end of the day.    

Simple as that.  He's not bad, could still do well.  But team's don't view him nearly as highly as some thought.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Precisely.  As always, it's somewhere in between.

Between those beating the Levis drum for months on end (we know who you are...) and those unnecessarily panning the guy's character and whatnot.  Teams have legit concerns, we don't really know the details, and we can claim we do, or over analyze to the inth-degree, but they just didn't see a R1 guy at the end of the day.    

Simple as that.  He's not bad, could still do well.  But team's don't view him nearly as highly as some thought.

My take on Levis (Richardson too) was based on the fact that I don't value physical traits higher than intangibles.

I know a lot of people do these days ("You can't coach those things" tends to be a popular line) but I don't buy the notion that you can just easily take a guy who's a physical specimen and train him to be a quarterback. Plenty of prior attempts to do that have failed.

Give me the guy who already has the quarterbacking skills over the guy you hope can learn them ten times out of ten.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Varking said:

Thank you. Wasn’t sure on who #1 was but I know during their bickering he mentioned Levis was his 2. 

It's hard to keep up with because he's adjusted his rankings between the top 3 a couple times over the last several months. He has had all three of them as #1 at some point lol.

Initial rankings (September 2022): 

1. Stroud

2. Levis

3. Young

Updated rankings (December 2022):

1. Levis

2. Young

3. Stroud

Final rankings (April 2023):

1. Young

2. Levis

3. Stroud

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know a lot of people do these days ("You can't coach those things" tends to be a popular line) but I don't buy the notion that you can just easily take a guy who's a physical specimen and train him to be a quarterback. Plenty of prior attempts to do that have failed.

Give me the guy who already has the quarterbacking skills over the guy you hope can learn them ten times out of ten.

This.  Plenty of guys with superior physical traits have failed at the actual of job of playing the position.  Most recent example is Trey Lance.  

Between the rumblings that Levis was going in the top 10, some saying top 5, the rumblings that Stroud was going to drop out of the top 10, and the rumblings last year about QBs going in the top 10 vs. the reality of all those, what we have learned is what we knew: don't believe anything you hear between the Superb Owl and the draft.  It is basically all noise, with just enough truth (some of which is like the proverbial blind squirrel) to make the believers yell "see, see, that was right."

Just looking at team needs/QB situations vs. the prospects left, I would be surprised if Levis lasts beyond Tennessee in round two, unless they like Hooker better.  The Raidahs could also grab one of those two a few picks earlier.  The Foreskins and Atlanta are also supposedly looking for a QB longer-term (I am less convinced about Atlanta). 

Once we get past Levis and Hooker, there is another dropoff to the next level.  Maybe McKee is interesting to somebody as above the rest, but that's about it.  Teams looking for somebody that they might work into a starting roll in a year or two probably have to focus on Levis, Hooker, and maybe McKee.  That list probably ought to include the Jets, but I doubt if it does.