• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Kaye explains DJ Johnson pick

TheSpecialJuan

41 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

I don't like the move. If you are going to trade up, do it for someone you really really want or bpa. This feels very out of character for Fitt. I'm guessing he was the last guy at the position on their board and they said f it. All in all I don't care, but seems like a dumb move.

He said as much as the press conference 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Bear Hands said:

There's always a mammoth of perceived "reaches" in the 2nd-3rd.  That's where team scouts vs. online rankings always diverge like crazy.  No matter the rumors or who we heard likes who.  It is never what it seems, these scouting rooms have their own world separate from the web.

I.E. -- Tyler Scott is still on the board who was supposedly rocketing up team boards and impressing a lot.  Scruggs G/C went 62 overall who many had pegged as a late rounder.  Strange went ahead of Tucker Kraft.  Reed was WR6 head of Hyatt, Tillman, Rice, Downs.  Torrence fell to the late 50s.   

We picked a guy who was projected on more than a few sites as a 3rd-4th rounder so DJ doesn't seem like a reach.  I think people are a bit underwhelmed bc he's older and has some stuff to work out, but you gotta consider ceiling with EDGE rushers.  And last but not least, we had to meet our 'guys named DJ' quota.

we gave up a 4rth as well.  Reach or not he is expensive from a draft capital standpoint

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Drafting a WR was a need for us because Thielen and TMJ are the only recievers under contract next year. This is more of a backfill for DJ Chark/Laviska than it is for TMJ. 

TMJ can play outside and inside. Mingo is your X receiver. If anything, the FO probably sees a path where we have Mingo and TMJ as our future WRs.

I was secretly hoping downs made it to us in the 3rd and we go with him as well.  He is smooth as hell and that would have been sweet in regards to long term team building.   But oh well

Edited by mrcompletely11

8 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

Agree on the reaches, but 39-80 who is the can’t miss dude we passed on? Who is the day one starter? Arguments can be made for corners and nickels I guess. We already invested a fug ton in OL. 

I would have preferred Ojulari there across from Burns getting after the QB. Our Oline depth isn’t good and getting Torrence would have been good as well. I want my 2nd round picks to be starters and Mingo isn’t going to be a starter on this team barring injury at the moment. Drafting Brian Branch would have allowed Chin to stay closer to the line of scrimmage or linebacker area and get him away from playing deep where he isn’t terrific. 

And everyone has their preference but Mingo is in the same tier of guys that were picked well after him like Rice, Hyatt and Tillman. 

13 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

People really tripping over us giving up a 4th...

Get the WR bc Chark is on a 1yr deal, and Thielen will be 34 next season. 

Dj Johnson brings rare traits size, speed, strength, we have no one like that on the roster. If they didn't draft your guy it happens, I can see the vision.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

Ohhhh this I can get with. BJ and DJ same stats for 2022. I think Tuli, Foskey, and White are YGM, meaning I think they are all 4-3 DE in the Pros. 

Young was a fit and I think that triggered the trade. I hated the DJ Johnson pick at first. Called him a senior citizen. But it’s growing on me. You never know who works and and who don’t. These guys talking about their crushes like they are top 10 can’t miss guys killing me over here.

Yeah we just gotta get over our crushes.  I mean, I was ALL about Adebawore, thought he was going higher.  Brugler had him mocked to the Eagles at 30.  Really surprised he's still out there who is a bit like Tuli but mega-athletic.  Can similarly play anywhere from 3-Tech hands in dirt, to standing at the EDGE.  Both of those guys are just very unique with massive potential.  We clearly wanted an edge setter, no tweeners. 

Agree on Foskey and White though, they may be more suited having their hands in the dirt.  

Looking forward, I wouldn't look past us adding a OL & DL today instead of skill spots.  Would love Adebawore, Abanikanda or Whyle but I won't be pissing and moaning if it doesn't happen.  

• Pie 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

I was secretly hoping downs made it to us in the 3rd and we go with him as well.  He is smooth as hell and that would have been sweet in regrads to long term team building.   But oh well

double stacking at WR wouldnt have been a bad move... but ignoring the edge position would have been head scratching. I expect today to be G, ILB, and CB.  Assuming we trade back.

Just now, Varking said:

I would have preferred Ojulari there across from Burns getting after the QB. Our Oline depth isn’t good and getting Torrence would have been good as well. I want my 2nd round picks to be starters and Mingo isn’t going to be a starter on this team barring injury at the moment. Drafting Brian Branch would have allowed Chin to stay closer to the line of scrimmage or linebacker area and get him away from playing deep where he isn’t terrific. 

And everyone has their preference but Mingo is in the same tier of guys that were picked well after him like Rice, Hyatt and Tillman. 

Ojulari and DJ Johnson- Same stats for 2022. The love fest makes no sense.

Everything else. Well said. WR is pick your flavor, same tier. Brian Branch is a bad mother…Honey Badger lite and I would’ve loved him. Need depth at OL no doubt.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

we gave up a 4rth as well.  Reach or not he is expensive from a draft capital standpoint

I mean, I'm used to it at this point.  We did it with Corral. We did it with Christensen. 

And we've done the inverse where we gain multiple picks, and that turned into guys like Tremble and Shi.  So it's a choose your own adventure, there's ways to gain capital back.  

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 3

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

double stacking at WR wouldnt have been a bad move... but ignoring the edge position would have been head scratching. I expect today to be G, ILB, and CB.  Assuming we trade back.

Yeah, definitely curious if we're staying at 114 or trying to gain multiple picks out of that.  

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

I mean, I'm used to it at this point.  We did it with Corral. We did it with Christensen. 

And we've done the inverse where the multiple picks, and that turned into guys like Tremble and Shi.  So it's a choose your own adventure, there's ways to gain capital back.  

The Christensen reference is....

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

He said as much as the press conference 

At least they were honest. They missed Byron Young by a few picks, and skipped on KJ Henry for this guy. DJ's a little faster and stronger than Henry, but raw. Evero was straight business with him on the phone too lol. I think Brown and Evero are not gonna play around like the style of coaches we're used to