• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official UDFA thread

TheSpecialJuan

22 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

So begins the annual tradition of fans getting excited for players who couldn’t even get drafted and likely are just gonna flame out or end up as practice squad members. But most are just camp bodies. 
Right up there with fan training camp MVP and then he makes the team only to be cut shortly after and replaced. 
Like that RB we had a few years ago. Made the team, was cut shortly after and replaced. 

There are five who have a shot, imo.  With a new system, new staff, and some expunging going on, there are an unusually high number of opportunities--and that does not happen annually.  What do the following Panthers have in common?:

• Brad Hoover
  • Fred Lane
  • Andrew Norwell
  • Nick Goins

It happens, and "getting excited" is your phrasing so that you can make a point and feel smart.  Discussing possibilities is what this board is for--so if you do not want to discuss these players, why did you click on a thread entitled, "Official UDFA thread?"  Please explain your need to do so.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

The Safety Position sure seems to be an area of focus.  We signed Rowe and Bell in free agency--we already have Chinn, Woods, and Franklin.  Then we drafted Jammie Robinson and signed this "in the box" safety.  I imagine that this S could be converted to an OLB--but we will see.  He is 6'3" 210 right now, and ran a 4.85 40 (Yikes).

Nico Bolden, S

Strengths: Large safety who has been a dominant run defender the past two seasons. Quick to diagnose, immediately locates the ball handler, and fires out laterally defending the run. Take proper angles, has an explosive closing burst, and drives his shoulders through opponents. Sized well, aggressive, and plays through the whistle. Quarterbacks the secondary and gets teammates in proper position.

Weaknesses: Possesses average speed and marginal ball skills. More of a downhill safety.

Overall: Bolden totaled 188 tackles the past two seasons and comes with terrific size. He’s more of a traditional strong safety, though he should be able to play in a zone system and offers special-teams potential.

Tony Pauline is an NFL Draft Analyst for Pro Football Network. You can read all of Tony’s work here and follow him on Twitter: @TonyPauline.

I like this pick up.  Not the quickest dude, but a sure tackler.

38 minutes ago, Icege said:

Excited that they picked up Ajiake. While I've pounded the table for Ivan Pace Jr  who went to Minnesota, Ajiake was a guy who was popping up on the stat sheets while I was looking at LBs. 

Special teams player if he makes the team. He's small, especially for a 3-4. He has decent speed, but wouldn't expect him to have a backup role. I'd be happy to be wrong, but he's basically the same size as Mingo.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Not that they are no longer fits, I just don't think some were that good.  Franklin, Teckenberg, Roy--all could be gone under this new bunch.  If all the free agents make the team, and the draft picks, and I honestly think 4-5 undrafted rookies have a shot--that would be about 24-25 new players.  Hard to imagine.

I'm not insinuating that ALL of the new guys make the roster, I just wouldn't be surprised if more than the imagined bunch get demoted or cut.  

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It happens, and "getting excited" is your phrasing so that you can make a point and feel smart.  Discussing possibilities is what this board is for--so if you do not want to discuss these players, why did you click on a thread entitled, "Official UDFA thread?"  Please explain your need to do so.

wow lol. I guess the fellow just expressed his opinion. No need for you to personably attack him. I mean I could ask you “feel superior? Please explain your testy response.”

But I won’t. 

1 minute ago, DavidEng said:

wow lol. I guess the fellow just expressed his opinion. No need for you to personably attack him. I mean I could ask you “feel superior? Please explain your testy response.”

But I won’t. 

He was trolling--as you are, newb.

No TE drafted and, while some spots remaining, no UDFAs signed yet either.  Are we really rolling with this TE group?  If Hurst misses any time, we are screwed.  That said, Hurst isn't exactly top-echelon among veteran TEs either.  The Ian Thomas experiment has run it's course.  Tremble is a H-back. Ricci and Sullivan are STs/practice squad guys.   Outside of Thomas being too much of a cap casualty, I can't fathom why he's still here.

32 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

No TE drafted and, while some spots remaining, no UDFAs signed yet either.  Are we really rolling with this TE group?  If Hurst misses any time, we are screwed.  That said, Hurst isn't exactly top-echelon among veteran TEs either.  The Ian Thomas experiment has run it's course.  Tremble is a H-back. Ricci and Sullivan are STs/practice squad guys.   Outside of Thomas being too much of a cap casualty, I can't fathom why he's still here.

I think the two elite TEs went at the start of the 2nd round. I guess they had a higher grade on Mingo than Musgrave too.

Beyond that you're just adding bodies to the room. 

37 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I wanted a TE....but one who could possibly be a stud for the future.  Not going to find one now.  Maybe next year.  For now...we roll with what we have.  At least we did an upgrade with Hurst.

• Pie 2

42 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

We’re fine at TE

- Hurst as the starter is going to be a very helpful middle of the field option for Bryce

- Ian Thomas falls back to his true blocking #2 TE role 

- Tommy Tremble becomes a talented 3rd option as a TE, H-back,FB type hopefully Thomas Brown can make better use than previous OC’s 

- Stephen Sullivan more of a big slot WR (was a wideout at LSU)