• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Draft Grade

Panthers Fan 69

14 hours ago, SOJA said:

is this speculation or do you have actual info on this 

13 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

Knee problems and foot problems red flagged him for most teams. 

Rayzor or Rodeo also said they were told his visit here was bad enough that the Panthers ruled him out.

• Pie 1

No doubt you don't know until they play...but from this vantage point, I give it a solid B+

I mean, we landed a franchise QB.  

We took our fave WR available over the EDGE, CB, OL, & TE talent at 39.  That's fine, especially considering only the top-4 WRs were off the board.  Mingo has a ton of upside, took WR5.  Boldin/AJ Brown type traits.  Add another receiver with strong hands and a big wingspan for Young. 

However, we took the WR at a risk value wise, and instead of seeing a subsequent run on WRs like Downs/Hyatt/etc., the run was on EDGE & DBs.

The DJ Johnson pick seems like the elephant in the room.  We clearly coveted getting an EDGE once we took Mingo but then many went.  Wanted someone with upside for Evero more than looking elsewhere position-wise.  And that's who they had over Adebawore, McGuire, Feheko, etc.  Once Byron Young went, we made the move as it seems DJ was one of the last EDGE targets we had an eye on R3 and higher.  

Zavala & Robinson were both great value and strong talent that will have a chance to make an impact.  

I don't like not capitalizing on the DB, TE and RB talent in this draft but we had limited picks.  Mortgaged one, but no future picks.  Still have 6 next year w/out our 1st.  

Other than Bryce….

I liked the Mingo pick. Getting a big WR to pair and grow with your rookie QB was a good move. There were better players on the board but with Thielen and Chark not likely here very long it was the right move. B+

DJ Johnson pick was terrible. Traded up to get a 25 year old rookie with scant college production because he had a good combine. F-

Zavala was a decent pick. OL depth was needed and he might start early due to the Corbett injury. B-

Robinson was a head scratcher. Safety wasn’t a need and they really needed corner depth in this draft. C-

I’m glad they swung for the fences with the QB but taking that out of the picture I give this draft a C+. There’s potential to hit on a few of these guys but I think there is a solid chance we do not see any of these players get a second contract. 

Edited by hepcat

On 5/1/2023 at 8:43 AM, Bear Hands said:

However, we took the WR at a risk value wise, and instead of seeing a subsequent run on WRs like Downs/Hyatt/etc., the run was on EDGE & DBs.

This is a great point, I think there was a miscalculation.  We could have had a better Edge in Round 2 and only a slight downgrade at WR in round 3 at 93 or trade up to 80 to potentially still get Downs (who I think went at 79)

11 minutes ago, NAS said:

This is a great point, I think there was a miscalculation.  We could have had a better Edge in Round 2 and only a slight downgrade at WR in round 3 at 93 or trade up to 80 to potentially still get Downs (who I think went at 79)

What I personally would have been a big fan was taking Brents, Ojulari, heck even DJ Turner or Tuli at 39. It didn't seem like we had any trade partners so had to choose, and Mingo was clearly in a tier of his own for us WR wise.  I think that's worthy of the pick, especially if they felt he's such a good fit (which is apparent), but it was a calculated risk. 

Given we haven't seen the results, can't say full it's a full miscalculation, but I think it was in regards of pure value received.    

If we went EDGE or DB, the board would have shifted a bit from what went down--then we come back with the aggressive trade-up for Mims/Hyatt/Tillman/Downs in the 3rd (or just wait for a Charlie Jones or Tyler Scott type)

It was clear: We wanted 2 types-- a future X Receiver and an EDGE to compliment Burns.  And that we were ALL about Mingo.  It seems those wants superseded BPA this draft.  So they're throwing a lot of trust at Mingo and DJJ to work out.  We'll see if it pays off.  

• Pie 1