• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Locked on Panthers podcast on how the Panthers stack up against the division post draft

3 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Summary??

• He thinks the Bucs are wasting time and has already seen mocks stating they'll get UNC's wonderboy QB in next year's draft.
  • He thinks the Falcons will be third in the division and likes their skill players, running game, and O-line. He also thinks Riddler can be a good QB and that the Falcons should use Robinson for all he's worth while on his rookie deal, then let him go.
  • Gives the division to the Saints by default since they have the sole worthwhile vet QB. That said, he doesn't think Carr will take the Saints far.
  • Thinks the Panthers' defense will be good and the running game as well, thanks to the O-line. Thinks the Panthers will be in the running for the division but it might take Young some time to adjust. He points out how other QBs have struggled their rookie years and then blossomed. He also doesn't like the Panthers' receivers and thinks they're not going to do Young any favors.

It was a pretty fair and balanced half hour listen.

• Pie 7

6 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:
  • He thinks the Bucs are wasting time and has already seen mocks stating they'll get UNC's wonderboy QB in next year's draft.
  • He thinks the Falcons will be third in the division and likes their skill players, running game, and O-line. He also thinks Riddler can be a good QB and that the Falcons should use Robinson for all he's worth while on his rookie deal, then let him go.
  • Gives the division to the Saints by default since they have the sole worthwhile vet QB. That said, he doesn't think Carr will take the Saints far.
  • Thinks the Panthers' defense will be good and the running game as well, thanks to the O-line. Thinks the Panthers will be in the running for the division but it might take Young some time to adjust. He points out how other QBs have struggled their rookie years and then blossomed. He also doesn't like the Panthers' receivers and thinks they're not going to do Young any favors.

Julian Council is always pretty even keeled when it comes to looking at all things panther related

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

That's actually pretty close to what I'm expecting. I hope to be pleasantly surprised by Young's progression, but not counting on it. I think our receivers may surprise some folks and I do think we have a decent shot at the playoffs. 

• Beer 3

4 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

That's actually pretty close to what I'm expecting. I hope to be pleasantly surprised by Young's progression, but not counting on it. I think our receivers may surprise some folks and I do think we have a decent shot at the playoffs. 

I agree about Young. The receivers? I'm taking a wait and see approach there.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

The receivers? I'm taking a wait and see approach there.

Oh, I think most of us are. I'm encouraged by TMJ's output after Rhule got canned and I think Laviska and Mingo can both make bigger impacts than most folks expect them to. I say CAN, btw, because like you, I'm taking a wait and see approach. But I believe this staff can make the most of what we have. We'll see.

• Pie 2

If Young is a franchise QB, these receivers are most than sufficient, especially with this offensive line.

Chark and Thielen were both starters last year.  TMJ started the 2nd half of last year and was ascending. Mingo has the talent to be a starter.  Shenault provides a niche.  Byrd still has deep speed.

There is no one in this group as good currently as DJ Moore is, but the overall group this year is at least as good cumulatively, and might be better, than last year's group

Chark & Thielen had 8 receiving TD's last year/  Moore & TMJ had 8 also

My point being, this might not be the best WR corp, but it's definitely nowhere near the worst we've had (or usually have) for that matter.

With this QB, Oline, and coaching staff, we ought to be able to figure it out.  I personally think our passing game is going to surprise some people, even if it's more of a group effort than one individual having unreal stats.

• Pie 6

it will become obvious that Young is the best QB in the NFCS by mid season. 

i'm not sleeping on ATL. i  think they'll be third in the division. still will have a weak QB, weak defense, and weak coaching.

bucs will be in the running for top QB pick next year.

i think we split with the saints, but we end up sweeping everyone else in the division. 

we'll finish 12-5 and win the division.

5-1 against NFCS

3-1 vs NFCN

3-1 vs AFCS

and we'll lose two from the trio of cowboys, seahawks, and dolphins.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 3

35 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

If Young is a franchise QB, these receivers are most than sufficient, especially with this offensive line.

Chark and Thielen were both starters last year.  TMJ started the 2nd half of last year and was ascending. Mingo has the talent to be a starter.  Shenault provides a niche.  Byrd still has deep speed.

There is no one in this group as good currently as DJ Moore is, but the overall group this year is at least as good cumulatively, and might be better, than last year's group

Chark & Thielen had 8 receiving TD's last year/  Moore & TMJ had 8 also

My point being, this might not be the best WR corp, but it's definitely nowhere near the worst we've had (or usually have) for that matter.

With this QB, Oline, and coaching staff, we ought to be able to figure it out.  I personally think our passing game is going to surprise some people, even if it's more of a group effort than one individual having unreal stats.

Tmj must certainly wasn’t ascending at the end of last year.  In fact I think drafting mingo tells us how much this staff really likes him.   

• Pie 1

In his Ruiz interview he said he thought this years WR corps as group was better than last year, even though there isn't a receiver better than DJ.   In the Mingo draft video he said its one of the worst WR corps in the NFL.    We don't have a superstar WR, so that is going to put us in the bottom half of the league, I'm not sure we're 31st or 32 though, I was thinking low to mid 20's.  Hopefully Young can elevate them.