• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Anti-tankers…. Never forget!!!!

TheBigKat

2 hours ago, poundaway said:

We did tank.  At the point we traded away CMC and chose a replacement HC  who had successfully tanked before,  the FO was trying to tank.  Wilkes as much said so, even though he qualified that statement later. 

If we had chosen Tabor who wasn't suing the NFL for being undermined, I think we could have traded away more assets for more picks,  which would have given us more 1st round picks and and a higher draft spot, so we could have spent fewer picks to move up.   

The coaches and players cannot/will not lose games on purpose.

We are where we are.  If Young translates, no one will care.

I'm curious, how many wins did we have with and without CMC?  No running back is going to be the big difference between a winning season and a losing one

• Beer 1

47 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I'm curious, how many wins did we have with and without CMC?  No running back is going to be the big difference between a winning season and a losing one

49ers 3-3 without CMC. 10-1 with him in the regular season. With losses to Denver, Atlanta and Chicago during that 3-3 stretch. 

Piss poor coaching in Carolina wasted CMC. 

Edited by Varking
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

It's all hindsight in the end and what player on the team is ACTUALLY going to try to screw up and tank so that he can be judged for it and cut after the season? The whole idea of successful tanking is ridiculous. There were goof balls on here wanting us to tank two games into the season last year as I remember reading it and wondering how mentally challenged they actually were. How in the absolute hell would ANY player or coach agree to this knowing his job will most likely be gone after his intentional abysmal play or coaching on the field? The whole idea is ridiculous.

Base on what transpired with the influx of respected coaches I don't believe Wilks had much chance of coming back short of a strong playoff showing. And which of these coaches or free agents wants to come to a tanking organization?

Edited by csx

Here is what I do not understand--when the season is over, after the 16th game of the season vs. Tampa Bay, why not empty your PS and bench for the final game of the season?  Use it like a 2023 extra preseason game for evaluating talent and giving players an opportunity to gain experience.

Instead, we won a meaningless game (that did not cost us draft position) for Steve Wilks' resume.  Our starting RG tore his ACL.  Our starting LG broke his foot. That impacted free agency, the draft, etc.  Why not allow Deonte Brown an opportunity to play?  Any player who was banged up for week 18 should have been placed on IR and a PS player should have been activated.  WR Saunders, OG Brown, and maybe a LB are a few players I wanted to see.

I would have benched Corbett and maybe Moton.  I would have have played Christensen at T and brought Brown up from the PS to get some reps at RG.  I would have played Mays at LG.

Instead, we hoist the 7-10 trophy and sent our Guards to offseason surgery and rehab.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Here is what I do not understand--when the season is over, after the 16th game of the season vs. Tampa Bay, why not empty your PS and bench for the final game of the season?  Use it like a 2023 extra preseason game for evaluating talent and giving players an opportunity to gain experience.

Instead, we won a meaningless game (that did not cost us draft position) for Steve Wilks' resume.  Our starting RG tore his ACL.  Our starting LG broke his foot. That impacted free agency, the draft, etc.  Why not allow Deonte Brown an opportunity to play?  Any player who was banged up for week 18 should have been placed on IR and a PS player should have been activated.  WR Saunders, OG Brown, and maybe a LB are a few players I wanted to see.

I would have benched Corbett and maybe Moton.  I would have have played Christensen at T and brought Brown up from the PS to get some reps at RG.  I would have played Mays at LG.

Instead, we hoist the 7-10 trophy and sent our Guards to offseason surgery and rehab.

I would think that free agents and current players could be turned off by an organization that might pull the plug on your season and shaft the contracts of many who have incentives. 

I get the idea but nobody does it for a reason.  Have you seen this elsewhere?  I suppose for playoff bound teams but they aren't having their seasons ended. I'm genuinely curious if it's something that has a precedence.

Edited by csx

10 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

We beat the Bucs- we win the division, get a 20th pick instead of 9, out of contention for the #1 pick, likely retain Wilks and a cut rate coaching staff and get embarrassed by Dallas in the playoffs. This off-season we’d be excited about signing a Jimmy G / Derek Carr kind of QB #vomit

We take the L… we get the #9 pick, new coaching staff that turns out to be on paper quite possibly the best staff Tepper’s wallet can get, we trade draft capital and get the #1 pick, get aggressive in FA and suddenly things look optimistic after 5 years of dire

Had we taken more L’s… we’d likely be sitting at 4 or 5, could have still gotten the #1 pick but it would likely not cost us DJ Moore

Sometimes you have to think long term health of the franchise and had we racked up more pointless wins last year we wouldn’t be enjoying the position this team is finally in

‘Let it go Louie’

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Now this is COMPLETELY agree with. I wondered that week as well why we could not just use it as an evaluation game and work in every bit of practice squad talent and talent that has sat the bench while resting some important starters to avoid injury risk. It would have done nothing but help. This is not tanking at all as we are trying to win and evaluate what we have on the roster in actual games with live bullets flying 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, csx said:

I would think that free agents and current players could be turned off by an organization that might pull the plug on your season and shaft the contracts of many who have incentives. 

I get the idea but nobody does it for a reason.  Have you seen this elsewhere?  I suppose for playoff bound teams but they aren't having their seasons ended. I'm genuinely curious if it's something that has a precedence.

Players on incentives that were close I would give the option but also the warning that we don't want them hurt that last game and do have the goal to evaluate hidden talent who may not have played any other way. If they had incentives to hit I guess I would have made the tough decision to allow them to play even though I would have preferred they rest and be safe from injury. That's the only way I know to handle that situation and keep everyone happy.