• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason McCourty: Panthers made NFL's biggest offseason move

NAS

42 minutes ago, Shocker said:

He was fired by a team that then installed a ESPN analyst as head coach who had zero coaching experience.  Yeah, the Colts definitely know what they are doing 

You realize they were losing with Frank at HC?

To act like he has no blame in that situation is crazy.

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

No chance, only way that happens is if Rodgers or multiple weapons in that offense are injured for the majority of the season.

You can be as high as you want on Bryce, but he's still a rookie and Rodgers is a year removed from back to back MVPs.  He now goes to a team with legit weapons around him with Wilson, Breece, Hardman, Lazard, Davis and an elite level defense.

The Jets may not win the SB and Rodgers may not win the MVP, but to think Bryce as a rookie is going to have a better season than Rodgers, assuming both are healthy for a full season, is just asinine and/or a bad homer take.

We shall see my friend. I’ll take our combo of weapons/OL/coaching over the Jets’ and Rodgers was quite bad last year with great coaching and OL. Everyone thought Russell Wilson would dominate last year with the Broncos’ “weapons…”

5 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Love the respect, but you can't say we had the biggest offseason move when we hired a HC who was fired.

Any Reid and Doug Pedersen were also fired.  Look at them now.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

No chance, only way that happens is if Rodgers or multiple weapons in that offense are injured for the majority of the season.

Rodgers did not look good last season.  He became a checkdown king and afraid to throw into tight windows.  While his padded numbers still look decent, he actually had the worst year of his career since he took over for Brett Favre in 2007.  He had career lows in yards per completion (10.6) and QBR (39.3).  He's on a downward trajectory and I don't think he'll suddenly find his groove with the Jets. 

8 minutes ago, NAS said:

Rodgers did not look good last season.  He became a checkdown king and afraid to throw into tight windows.  While his padded numbers still look decent, he actually had the worst year of his career since he took over for Brett Favre in 2007.  He had career lows in yards per completion (10.6) and QBR (39.3).  He's on a downward trajectory and I don't think he'll suddenly find his groove with the Jets. 

He played the majority of last season with a broken thumb on his throwing hand (happened in week 5) and had no decent WRs for much of the year until Watson exploded late, as I'm pretty sure Lazard was playing banged up for a while too.  He went from Lazard being his #1 target for much of last year to having him as his likely #3 target behind Wilson and Hardman.

Yea, elite QB's usually fall off a cliff at some point late in their careers, but I chalk last year up more to the broken thumb and WR issues than his abilities just going in the crapper.  Remember, Rodgers has always been a guy who keeps his body in great shape, and while he may be 39, his body has really only taken the beating of a 36 year old with him not really playing his first 3 years in the league.  

I think he has multiple good seasons left in him if he wants to keep playing and yea, maybe next year or the year after Bryce is then playing better than Rodgers, but not this year, I'd be shocked, and that's no knock on Bryce, I'd say that about any rookie QB ever vs a rejuvenated Rodgers with real weapons.

Edited by tukafan21

3 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

So why haven't all the other fired coaches win a SB?

Just saying - a coach being fired doesn't mean he's a bad coach.  Sometimes it's just time to go to a better situation.  

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, NAS said:

Just saying - a coach being fired doesn't mean he's a bad coach.  Sometimes it's just time to go to a better situation.  

You could have said that in your original comment. Thanks for clearing that up.

So he may or may not win a SB.

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You realize they were losing with Frank at HC?

To act like he has no blame in that situation is crazy.

The NFL more than any sport has a razor fine line between winning and losing.  Frank is a great coach but he hasn’t enjoyed this kind of staff in the past.  I think things are setup for the Panthers to make a move.  

• Pie 1

The question was what was the biggest offseason "move" and clearly Rogers to the jets was the single-most significant move.

But what JM was referring to is the reason why most of us are so excited.  He had to mention two moves just to rank with the Rogers move.   But it wasn't just one move and he should not have stopped at two.  It is the series of moves this organization is making that is going to make waves this season.  Multiple coaching staff additions, draft picks, FA's (both outside and our own), cap management, they all point to a coherent front office, competent ownership and an effing Plan.... a lot of Panther fans are still in shock.

That show is so scripted but I see the Panthers making a lot of noise this season.

Edited by RenoCarolina

14 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

So why haven't all the other fired coaches win a SB?

You're seriously asking this question? 🤨

Tony Dungy, Marv Levy, Pete Carroll (more than once) oh, and that guy in New England... Bill something. All of them got fired. Then there's Gruden who didn't get fired per se but got traded away and won shortly thereafter.

Getting in the NFL fired isn't a death sentence, especially not when it's by an owner as dumb as Jim Irsay. Same principle applies for coordinators and other assistants.

Edited by Mr. Scot