• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looks like I’m moving back to NC

hepcat

5 hours ago, onmyown said:

100%. My home was 630k here for 2000 square feet, .20 acre. I’m eyeballing a 320k house in Savannah 500 more square feet but over 1.5 acres of a well maintained wooded lot.

Wilmington came in a very close second for me. It’s a bit more pricey than Savannah (except downtown) but doable. Only reason I didn’t is Savannah is a bit closer to my vacation spots in the gulf but equal distance to Charlotte.

Still from what I’ve seen both are great areas to settle down. Austin was another choice they could’ve sent me to and I was like nahhh I’m good lol. Bring me back home where I can afford to live.

Austin is getting too crazy. Crime is up, property values are up, cost of living is insane. Savannah is a good. choice too. If my folks weren't in Wilmington, it would have been another city we looked at. 

5 hours ago, onmyown said:

100%. My home was 630k here for 2000 square feet, .20 acre. I’m eyeballing a 320k house in Savannah 500 more square feet but over 1.5 acres of a well maintained wooded lot.

Wilmington came in a very close second for me. It’s a bit more pricey than Savannah (except downtown) but doable. Only reason I didn’t is Savannah is a bit closer to my vacation spots in the gulf but equal distance to Charlotte.

Still from what I’ve seen both are great areas to settle down. Austin was another choice they could’ve sent me to and I was like nahhh I’m good lol. Bring me back home where I can afford to live.

Mine was $450k in CO in 2015 for 2000 square feet on 3/4 acre built in the mid-80s. Sold for a couple hundred thousand dollar profit in 2020. Valuing currently around $825k and falling.

Bought 3000 square feet on 12 acres built in 2012 here in western NC two years ago for $380k. Currently valuing around $500k and rising.

• Pie 2

On 7/25/2023 at 5:24 PM, hepcat said:

Austin is getting too crazy. Crime is up, property values are up, cost of living is insane. Savannah is a good. choice too. If my folks weren't in Wilmington, it would have been another city we looked at. 

Congrats, and welcome "home".

What part of ILM are you guys in?

On 7/25/2023 at 12:10 PM, onmyown said:

My only issue with Savannah was the boating, had to live in the low country for a year, and found there to be few fishermen, even less boaters, and zero . zero divers.

Fun town though, a little too fun in my earlier years.

3 hours ago, thefuzz said:

My only issue with Savannah was the boating, had to live in the low country for a year, and found there to be few fishermen, even less boaters, and zero . zero divers.

Fun town though, a little too fun in my earlier years.

Savannah definitely isn’t perfect. Even on the coast I’m not a fan of their beaches. I would rather just drive to the gulf.

But it is still affordable although that is changing. And that’s my #1 must haves. My second is driving distance (4-5 hours) to the gulf and Charlotte.

Not too many cities fit that criteria. Wilmington and Huntsville, AL were other choices. Huntsville fell through for me and Wilmington is a bit less affordable than Savannah.

Other choices were Birmingham, Jacksonville (also becoming less affordable), Pensacola, Tallahassee, crap towns in Louisiana, Atlanta (tired of wasting life on traffic as my job requires me to drive around), Augusta, Montgomery, Houston, Fayetteville AK.

And I was looking into KY and VA.

Ultimately I felt out of those Savannah was a top choice. Slim Pickens. Jacksonville and Wilmington were really the only choices out of that list for me.

• Pie 1

On 7/23/2023 at 4:05 PM, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I totally get moving out of higher priced areas ... but I just don't understand how people can stand the new heat we have on the planet. Christ, we got like less than six inches of snow last winter! So mild winters and pleasant summers sounds like the way to go. I can see Michigan, since it's near water and away from the coast. Vermont, New Hampshire, Minnesota could all be the new Texas, North Carolina, and Florida.

As a ups driver, I don't even notice the heat anymore.  It's like I have rapidly adapted or something.  I'm also only 33 so could also play a part.

Anyways I always like Wilmington.  Nice spot.

Hitting some snags that might prevent the move...house in Austin not appraising for what we thought due to market conditions. Plus we had a measurement issue from our tax record when we bought the house to now. Apparently we have 150sq ft LESS than we thought. Impacts the price which sucks. Real estate man....times have changed. 

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Hitting some snags that might prevent the move...house in Austin not appraising for what we thought due to market conditions. Plus we had a measurement issue from our tax record when we bought the house to now. Apparently we have 150sq ft LESS than we thought. Impacts the price which sucks. Real estate man....times have changed. 

Damn that sucks. 

8 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

Damn that sucks. 

It hasn't completely killed the move yet. We have until August 21st to back out of the house we are under contract for in Wilmington. We'd be out a couple grand in due diligence money which sucks but if it saves us tens if not hundreds of thousands in losses from the lowered sale of our house and increase in mortgage payment due to higher interest. 

That sucks. Read through the appraisal carefully and do your homework for the rebuttal. Did the 150 less square feet play a significant role? If so, are you sure the measurement is correct? Appraisers aren't perfect. I had the opposite experience in the sale of my home in Colorado. The appraiser measured it almost 150 feet bigger than it was. I definitely didn't say anything but I measured the house myself before we closed when we bought it. The listed figure was within 5 feet of my measurement. The appraiser was wrong, but it was in my favor so sweet. I think he probably counted the downstairs bedroom twice. He was off by exactly that much.

• Pie 1