• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Playoffs or bust

NAS

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

we have to develop a rookie QB

we have a brand new offense to develop

we have a brand new defense to develop 

that’s never the making of a playoff team.  

and we have a pretty bland cast around Young.  It’s not like we have HOFers that are going to go out there and make it happen on their own to aid Bryce. 

And we have the NFL’s most expensive and experienced coaching staff. Time to earn their keep and get the most out of this roster.  In the weak NFC it’s a reasonable expectation. Wilks did more with less

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Just now, NAS said:

And we have the NFL’s most expensive and experienced coaching staff. Time to earn their keep and get the most out of this roster.  In the weak NFC it’s a reasonable expectation. Wilks did more with less

Preach!

No excuses with Frank. He has his QB we upgraded the roster. Playoffs or bust imo.

This division is not very good. If we can't compete this year to win the division then we simply failed.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, NAS said:

It's the first preseason game and you are jumping to Wilks did more with less?

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, csx said:

It's the first preseason game and you are jumping to Wilks did more with less?

I am talking about expectations for the season. 

Wilks almost made the playoffs and won 7 games with less talent overall.

Some are saying not to expect playoffs with more talent, an upgrade at QB and significant investment in coaching and assistants.

I refuse to downgrade my expectations and I hope Tepper doesn’t either.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, NAS said:

I am talking about expectations for the season. 

Wilks almost made the playoffs and won 7 games with less talent overall.

Some are saying not to expect playoffs with more talent, an upgrade at QB and significant investment in coaching and assistants.

I refuse to downgrade my expectations and I hope Tepper doesn’t either.

Would have won more if we had him for the full season. What gets lost is he had to clean up the L's Rhule left him with.

38 minutes ago, NAS said:

But a good non-Rhule caliber staff doesn’t erase all those factors from existing.   

it’s not the formula for playoff caliber team.  Could the division be so bad someone has to go? Maybe. 

and to an extent Frank and his staff is getting a bump simply because it’s such a stark contrast to Rhule.  Pitched as one of the greatest staffs ever assembled 

I think the board has high odds of being in peak overreaction mode  since so many have this a playoff lock team 

rookie QB, new O and new D.  Too much on Young’s shoulders IMO.  It should be about his development not these expectations.  Cam got to 6 with a pretty stacked O in comparison and most came late  

@Atl

NO

@ Sea

Minn

@ Det

@ Mia

Bye

I think we will be dogs in virtually every one of those games. 

1 minute ago, onmyown said:

Lol playoffs for a rookie qb and first year coach. Man I thought the embarrassing, moronic, knee jerk casual fan fire everyone threads would come after our first couple losses…looks like I was sadly mistaken.

Perfect example of how not to win friends and influence people. Carnegie would roll over in his grave after reading this ...

1 hour ago, CRA said:

we have to develop a rookie QB

we have a brand new offense to develop

we have a brand new defense to develop 

that’s never the making of a playoff team.  

and we have a pretty bland cast around Young.  It’s not like we have HOFers that are going to go out there and make it happen on their own to aid Bryce. 

This is precisely the problem, we shouldn't have changed everything in one season.  I can understand adopting different concepts of the 4-3 or adding wrinkles to what we were doing defensively, but no team that has ever changed to a 3-4 looks good in one season.  

As far as Frank Reich goes, he seems like a decent guy, but ultimately he is a retread and an old one at that.  George Siefert was brought here for the same reason as Reich.  Ultimately the Panthers have success under first time defensive minded coaches.  Outside of Andy Reid they don't usually seem to work out.

But this won't be on Reich when it's over nor should it be.  

It should go on Tepper who decided to close off his decision making after week 6 of last year.  Despite the Panthers finding an identity and beginning to overachieve he tore the whole thing down.  We went from being a QB away, to no decent WRs, wrong personnel for a 3-4,  having to find another Dcord again next year that comes with more changes,  no draft capital, a questionable Oline still, no opposite edge rush, and generally no identity at all.  But hey, we have Bryce over Levis, so things are looking up right?  

We should have stayed smashmouth, re upped Foreman, drafted the best available QB, and put money into reinforcing the trenches, while still having our best WR.  

1 minute ago, TheMaulClaw said:

This is precisely the problem, we shouldn't have changed everything in one season.  I can understand adopting different concepts of the 4-3 or adding wrinkles to what we were doing defensively, but no team that has ever changed to a 3-4 looks good in one season.  

As far as Frank Reich goes, he seems like a decent guy, but ultimately he is a retread and an old one at that.  George Siefert was brought here for the same reason as Reich.  Ultimately the Panthers have success under first time defensive minded coaches.  Outside of Andy Reid they don't usually seem to work out.

But this won't be on Reich when it's over nor should it be.  

It should go on Tepper who decided to close off his decision making after week 6 of last year.  Despite the Panthers finding an identity and beginning to overachieve he tore the whole thing down.  We went from being a QB away, to no decent WRs, wrong personnel for a 3-4,  having to find another Dcord again next year that comes with more changes,  no draft capital, a questionable Oline still, no opposite edge rush, and generally no identity at all.  But hey, we have Bryce over Levis, so things are looking up right?  

We should have stayed smashmouth, re upped Foreman, drafted the best available QB, and put money into reinforcing the trenches, while still having our best WR.  

I think Young can be the dude….but yeah, it will take years to acquire the right cast for him and frankly he needs his own offensive scheme tailored to him.  Which I think we can do.  But the expectations on Young this year are bonkers. 

we don’t have the skill talent and scheme remains to be scene for Bryce to thrive.  Unsure what Frank is going to do there until the season starts.  But Frank got bounced in Indy because of O and not getting it done.  He seems more like a fit what I do sort of coach to date 

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Young can be the dude….but yeah, it will take years to acquire the right cast for him and frankly he needs his own offensive scheme tailored to him.  Which I think we can do.  But the expectations on Young this year are bonkers. 

we don’t have the skill talent and scheme remains to be scene for Bryce to thrive.  Unsure what Frank is going to do there until the season starts.  But Frank got bounced in Indy because of O and not getting it done.  He seems more like a fit what I do sort of coach to date 

All I say is this.  Wilks took over a stagnant team, and within two weeks with another man's coaches the team looked completely different.  The players believed in Wilks and at the very least we saw effort.  If players are playing with max effort and you lose, it's easier to spot where the team needs to improve.  Secondary and QB is all we needed.  There was no effort yesterday.  Zero. It's hard to even know what to improve if guys aren't even trying. I know it's preseason, but at least try to establish the run to keep Bryce out of the dirt.  

Also why would a first year coach not try to execute any plays in the preseason.  What are we hoping?  That the team is just going to execute perfectly in week 1 without ever performing the plays in a legit simulation?  How do you even evaluate the back end of the roster without seeing if they can retain information and execute plays?  I'm not buying that excuse.

Tepper wouldn't know a good football decision even if it was already on payroll.  

Edited by TheMaulClaw