• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time to go shopping....WR

Jmac

43 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I understand that conventional wisdom suggests rookie QBs will struggle and not to expect much but like you said we finished last year just out of playoffs at 7-10  with Wilks going 6-6.  We were a tough out with Darnold going 4-2 even without a full coaching staff.  How do we go backwards with supposedly one of the best coaching staff in the league, upgrades at many positions and supposedly an easier schedule.  Seems to me we should go 9-8 at the least even if we start off slow.

Yeah I agree. Some people just don't think we have enough to compete for whatever reason. Im looking at this division and if we can't compete with these teams then the season was a failure imo. We don't take a step forward and take 2 steps back the following year. Like you said we upgraded the coaching staff and the QB position. There is no excuses.

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Yeah I agree. Some people just don't think we have enough to compete for whatever reason. Im looking at this division and if we can't compete with these teams then the season was a failure imo. We don't take a step forward and take 2 steps back the following year. Like you said we upgraded the coaching staff and the QB position. There is no excuses.

We did a rebuild.  It’s not about taking a step forward from something that no longer exists. 

We got all a new scheme to learn and figure out.  And it will take time for this staff to find the ideal personnel to fit the new schemes.  And we got a rookie QB.   Literally every skill position starter is new.  New coaches.    

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

We did a rebuild.  It’s not about taking a step forward from something that no longer exists. 

We got all a new scheme to learn and figure out.  And it will take time for this staff to find the ideal personnel to fit the new schemes.  And we got a rookie QB.   Literally every skill position starter is new.  New coaches.    

We have a allstar coaching staff. Wilks had to put in a new system and he did it with a lesser talented QB. 

This is not some hard task. Im holding the coaching staff accountable we hired them to get better as a team. Im expecting a better team than what we had under Wilks. The purpose of us not hiring Wilks was Frank was the better coach.

Taking steps back just because we changed the system is not a good excuse. This division is up for grabs there is no clear cut favorite to win the division. Im expecting playoffs.

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

We have a allstar coaching staff. Wilks had to put in a new system and he did it with a lesser talented QB. 

This is not some hard task. Im holding the coaching staff accountable we hired them to get better as a team. Im expecting a better team than what we had under Wilks. The purpose of us not hiring Wilks was Frank was the better coach.

Taking steps back just because we changed the system is not a good excuse. This division is up for grabs there is no clear cut favorite to win the division. Im expecting playoffs.

We don’t have an all star coaching staff.  Frank is a Ron/Fox.  Who was just fired for his inability to get it done and specifically the O he called.  Which he is calling here.  And Capers and Caldwell are old heads.  We got a tremendous amount of years and experience on staff.  But a lot of that narrative was just built off having so many old guys. We got an exciting young DC whose 1 year featured him inherited a top 10 D.  That’s not an all star staff.  The rest of the league would be the comparison not Rhule’s squad. 

Wilks didn’t install a new system.   He is a DC.  He kept McAdoo.  He just dictated what McAdoo would call going forward vs what he did. 

and building something new isn’t easy with old parts.  It doesn’t happen overnight  Nor is winning in general for any rookie QB.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

We don’t have an all star coaching staff.  Frank is a Ron/Fox.  Who was just fired for his inability to get it done and specifically the O he called.  Which he is calling here.  And Capers and Caldwell are old heads.  We got a tremendous amount to years and experience on staff.  But a lot of that narrative was just built off having so many old guys. We got an exciting young DC.   That’s not an all star staff.  The rest of the league would be the comparison not Rhule’s squad. 

Wilks didn’t install a new system.   He is a DC.  He kept McAdoo.  He just dictated what McAdoo would call going forward vs what he did. 

and building something new isn’t easy with old parts.  It doesn’t happen overnight  Nor is winning in general for any rookie QB.

People have different expectations. I think I told you this last week.

Im tired of giving these coaches excuses before the season even starts. Frank came in here talking about contending for a SB sooner than later. Thielen signed here because he said that was the pitch. Guy is at the end of his prime he's expecting to compete. I don't view this roster as a rebuild lower tier roster. We have some of the best players at their position on defense with Horn/Burns/Brown. We have a legit defense. Offense will be the key to our success this year. If Bryce lives up to the hype while playing in a weak division there is no reason why we can't win this division.

Win the division we make the playoffs. That's realistic imo.

• Beer 3

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Im tired of giving these coaches excuses before the season even starts. Frank came in here talking about contending for a SB sooner than later. Thielen signed here because he said that was the pitch. Guy is at the end of his prime he's expecting to compete. I don't view this roster as a rebuild lower tier roster. We have some of the best players at their position on defense with Horn/Burns/Brown. We have a legit defense. Offense will be the key to our success this year. If Bryce lives up to the hype while playing in a weak division there is no reason why we can't win this division.

A guy that has never been an NFL coordinator/called plays before, a guy that coordinated Vic Fangio's defense for a year, and a guy that has been slightly better than average as an HC is not a proven 'all star staff'. Not saying it's bad but any means, but assuming top-tier performance in year one is unrealistic.

Been down this road before though. Y'all can have whatever expectations you want but that doesn't change the reality.

6 minutes ago, KSpan said:

A guy that has never been an NFL coordinator/called plays before, a guy that coordinated Vic Fangio's defense for a year, and a guy that has been slightly better than average as an HC is not a proven 'all star staff'. Not saying it's bad but any means, but assuming top-tier performance in year one is unrealistic.

Been down this road before though. Y'all can have whatever expectations you want but that doesn't change the reality.

Im starting to think Tepper is the problem.

It's crazy every year the fans are down on the team before the season even starts. This is what this franchise has become. No playoffs this year guys!

32 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Acknowledging a rebuild isn’t an excuse. 

sooner rather than later….doesn’t equate to being a contender in year 1.  We need offensive players.  We need experience and time. And we are likely going to need pieces up front on D for the new scheme.

and developing Bryce doesn’t mean playing 1940s football.  Which is what Wilks did when we lucked into games against an abnormal amount bad run defenses.   We aren’t building off what was done last year. 

rookie QBs take lumps.  Especially ones that aren’t playing with elite defenses or  HOF skill talent.  Very few exceptions to that. 

13 minutes ago, CRA said:

Acknowledging a rebuild isn’t an excuse. 

sooner rather than later….doesn’t equate to being a contender in year 1.  We need offensive players.  We need experience and time. And we are likely going to need pieces up front on D for the new scheme.

and developing Bryce doesn’t mean playing 1940s football.  Which is what Wilks did when we lucked into games against an abnormal amount bad run defenses.   We aren’t building off what was done last year. 

rookie QBs take lumps.  Especially ones that aren’t playing with elite defenses or  HOF skill talent.  Very few exceptions to that. 

I said we would be in contention for the playoffs.

I never said we should win a SB year 1.

Win the division which is realistic make the playoffs. That's all im saying. You calling that unrealistic is just you having lower expectations for the team.

We can agree to disagree. I don't know why people are so set on having others agree with them. We simply have different expectations and that's fine.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I said we would be in contention for the playoffs.

I never said we should win a SB year 1.

Win the division which is realistic make the playoffs. That's all im saying. You calling that unrealistic is just you having lower expectations for the team.

We can agree to disagree. I don't know why people are so set on having others agree with them. We simply have different expectations and that's fine.

I don’t have low expectations.   I’m excited to hopefully watch a proper rebuild.   We wasted the last 3 years.  It should have been a proper rebuild post Ron/Cam.   We waste 3 years in no man’s land not doing one. 

But they have gotten off to a decent start to the rebuild.  I can nitpick it a little but it’s a pretty decent start.   

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don’t have low expectations.   I’m excited to hopefully watch a proper rebuild.   We wasted the last 3 years.  It should have been a proper rebuild post Ron/Cam.   We waste 3 years in no man’s land not doing one. 

But they have gotten off to a decent start to the rebuild.  I can nitpick it a little but it’s a pretty decent start.   

Frank been lying to us and lied to Thielen apparently. He never mentioned rebuild in his press conference. All I got was we are expected to contend sooner than later and trading up for Bryce was going to be a major reason for that early success.

Im just holding people accountable. You can't talk the talk then go out there and put up a poor product. Im expecting upgrade at HC. Wilks had us a .500 team. Frank should be better than that. Tepper hired an upgrade not a downgrade. Hopefully this preseason was not a sign of things to come. Fans are going to be unhappy if we still playing like Rhule is coaching this team.

12 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Frank been lying to us and lied to Thielen apparently. He never mentioned rebuild in his press conference. All I got was we are expected to contend sooner than later and trading up for Bryce was going to be a major reason for that early success.

Im just holding people accountable. You can't talk the talk then go out there and put up a poor product. Im expecting upgrade at HC. Wilks had us a .500 team. Frank should be better than that. Tepper hired an upgrade not a downgrade. Hopefully this preseason was not a sign of things to come. Fans are going to be unhappy if we still playing like Rhule is coaching this team.

It’s just standard talk IMO.  What you want him to say to a fanbase that hasn’t seen a winning season in a half decade. 

I would think year 3 you look to be good. And that is still Adam’s contract.  Possibly year 2.  Not year 1. 

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

It’s just standard talk IMO.  What you want him to say to a fanbase that hasn’t seen a winning season in a half decade. 

I would think year 3 you look to be good. And that is still Adam’s contract.  Possibly year 2.  Not year 1. 

We don't have our high picks until 2025. I'm guessing you think we add talent via FA to help this rebuild correct?

1 hour ago, CRA said:

We don’t have an all star coaching staff.  Frank is a Ron/Fox.  Who was just fired for his inability to get it done and specifically the O he called.  Which he is calling here.  And Capers and Caldwell are old heads.  We got a tremendous amount of years and experience on staff.  But a lot of that narrative was just built off having so many old guys. We got an exciting young DC whose 1 year featured him inherited a top 10 D.  That’s not an all star staff.  The rest of the league would be the comparison not Rhule’s squad. 

You are out in left field on this one.  Virtually no one with any football acumen shares your view of the staff. You are right that Wilks didn't institute a different scheme but he did change the culture and rework the running playbook.  All with a depleted staff and minus CMC. 

I trust that Reich knows what he is doing and thinks he can win with Bryce now and in the future.  If he didn't believe in Bryce then Dalton would be starting while we bring Bryce along.  I have heard several players say they don't see this as a rebuilt and expect results right away. I believe them....

• Beer 2