• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was Chark a mistake?

Jmac

No word at all on his status. With his past history, I would be leary of having confidence in him to say healthy. Hammys can be problematic. They just traded for a speedster, but he is not a #1 receiver.

So what to do? Wide receiver by committee? Doubt we will get the guy we need waiting for cuts?

Can they succeed with what they have? Hope this doesn't come back to bite them in the ass.

Edited by Jmac
  • Poo 6

Yes, I said it was a mistake the second we signed him, he's far too injury prone to make him our top WR option for a rookie QB.  

No problem with the player himself when he's on the field, but the problem is he's never been able to stay on the field.  If he was already on the team, so be it, but to sign him as our #1 outside WR was a big mistake.

Just now, tukafan21 said:

Yes, I said it was a mistake the second we signed him, he's far too injury prone to make him our top WR option for a rookie QB.  

No problem with the player himself when he's on the field, but the problem is he's never been able to stay on the field.  If he was already on the team, so be it, but to sign him as our #1 outside WR was a big mistake.

Who said he was the number 1 rw? This team has a different no.1 target on every play.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I'm sure they knew it's possible he'd miss games but probably felt like it was worth it, and it probably was.  He has immense talent and we needed his skillset.  If it doesn't work out then we aren't out of a lot.  I don't think there was a lot of options but we chose two of the best in Thielan and Chark.   Hopkins eventually was available but at a way higher price with the same concerns as Chark. 

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Who said he was the number 1 rw? This team has a different no.1 target on every play.

I hate this argument, because being the #1 target on a specific play call doesn't mean they're the #1.

If all our WRs were healthy for the entire season, as things stand right now (i.e. before knowing if TMJ or Mingo could break out and become the top option), Chark would be on the field for more snaps than any of our other WRs.

THAT is what makes him our #1 WR, it's not about being the main target on any given play, it's that he'd be on the field more than any other WR.  Plus, he'll line up almost exclusively on the outside, whereas Thielen will be mainly in the slot and both Mingo/TMJ are likely to take slot snaps as well.

Regardless of how things shake out, it's clear that the staff's plan was for Chark to be the top WR in terms of the depth chart and snap share just based on the rest of the WR room.  So whether or not he was going to be the #1 target in any given play is irrelevant, particularly if/when he's injured and isn't even playing, because then we don't have enough quality WRs to put on the field in his place anyways.

Yes, I understand that this offense will be predicated on coverage and Bryce just making the smart reads as opposed to focusing on one WR as his top target, but that doesn't mean there isn't a snap share pecking order, of which, Chark was planned on being at the top of it.

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

I hate this argument, because being the #1 target on a specific play call doesn't mean they're the #1.

If all our WRs were healthy for the entire season, as things stand right now (i.e. before knowing if TMJ or Mingo could break out and become the top option), Chark would be on the field for more snaps than any of our other WRs.

THAT is what makes him our #1 WR, it's not about being the main target on any given play, it's that he'd be on the field more than any other WR.  Plus, he'll line up almost exclusively on the outside, whereas Thielen will be mainly in the slot and both Mingo/TMJ are likely to take slot snaps as well.

Regardless of how things shake out, it's clear that the staff's plan was for Chark to be the top WR in terms of the depth chart and snap share just based on the rest of the WR room.  So whether or not he was going to be the #1 target in any given play is irrelevant, particularly if/when he's injured and isn't even playing, because then we don't have enough quality WRs to put on the field in his place anyways.

Yes, I understand that this offense will be predicated on coverage and Bryce just making the smart reads as opposed to focusing on one WR as his top target, but that doesn't mean there isn't a snap share pecking order, of which, Chark was planned on being at the top of it.

Chark also is the only WR with coverage altering ability.    His ability to get vertical. 

• Pie 2