• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RIP Gil Brandt

Mr. Scot

Oh no.....I loved listening to him on Sirius NFL radio.  I spoke with him a couple of times.  He had an amazing memory.  He always asked the caller's location and he would know the town (even my small one) and more times than not could name a person from that town.  He knew an amateur golfer from Morganton. He was a wealth of knowledge and seemed like a kind person.  He made it into the HOF not too long ago.  Will miss him this football season. 

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 4

his write up on Cam Newton predraft was awesome. i was trying to find it, but he was one of the few in the media that saw what he had to offer rather than jumping on whatever negative hot takes there were at the time. 

he was one of the best, for sure. we need more like him.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

his write up on Cam Newton predraft was awesome. i was trying to find it, but he was one of the few in the media that saw what he had to offer rather than jumping on whatever negative hot takes there were at the time. 

he was one of the best, for sure. we need more like him.

Gil Brandt, NFL.com
NFL.com senior analyst and former vice president of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys, Gil Brandt has a lot of experience evaluating talent, and he was a guy that was buying into Cam Newton from the jump.

In his article posted back in March titled, "Believe the hype: Newton has intangibles to be a start" Brandt wasn't simply talking potential like everyone else; he was talking intangibles, which many thought Newton lacked.

Brandt said, "I’ve talked to a lot of players and coaches who were around Newton at Auburn, people whose opinions I trust, and I’ve come to this conclusion: Newton is the real deal."

Brandt even went on to credit Newton's passing, which is what most experts doubted.  

He said, "The one thing most people will agree on is that Newton has a ton of talent, both as a passer and a natural athlete."

He then went on to say, "Will he be as productive as Sam Bradford was in his first year? No. But he will be a big-time quarterback in the NFL within a few years. This is a special guy."

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The link to the pre-draft article in the above copy and paste is dead, but here's the link to his early rookie year follow up

https://www.nfl.com/news/newton-more-impressive-in-first-two-games-than-any-rookie-qb-09000d5d82270a88

i found the original article about cam.

https://www.nfl.com/news/believe-the-hype-newton-has-intangibles-to-be-a-star-09000d5d81ef27fa

• Pie 1