• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers and Brian Burns not at all close to extension

TheSpecialJuan

9 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Gets pissed at us because we won't cave and give him a $30mil extension?

I'm all about maximize your megadeal, but be realistic. 

He has never said 30 a year, that’s speculation at this point. This is his value per year if his main comp is Max Crosby, which I would value him higher than. This is not considering the major increase in cap coming up. We can pay people like Chosen Anderson to not even play for us and no one blinks an eye, but we piss off our main core Defensive talent over a few mill per year. We knew what his salary expectations were last year when we turned down all of the picks offered to trade him. We as a team have made zero progress since then on a new contract and that’s not on Burns, it’s on our organization. We have been eating dead cap for years now signing bums (Darnold…..enough said) but we flip out over paying a double digit all pro DE who is 25 years old?

IMG_0508.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 1

Just now, WarPanthers89 said:

He has never said 30 a year. This is his value per year if his main comp is Max Crosby, which I would value him higher than. This is not considering the major increase in cap coming up. We can pay people like Chosen Anderson to not even play for us and no one blinks an eye, but we piss off our main core Defensive talent over a few mill per year. We knew what his salary expectations were last year when we turned down all of the picks offered to trade him. We as a team have made zero progress since then on a new contract and that’s not on Burns, it’s on our organization. We have been eating dead cap for years now signing bums (Darnold…..enough said) but we flip out over paying a double digit all pro DE who is 25 years old?

@mrcompletely11didn't Person report $30 million per year?

1 minute ago, Gerry Green said:

Ah the Burns hate grows. Man this place is like Middle School. That kid is doing something I don't like. Quick let's do something stupid to him. That'll show him.

I have not seen any hatred. Just a bunch of fans who know he isn’t worth what he wants and is growing frustrated with both him and the FO. 

• Pie 2

Just now, therealmjl said:

Who knows. The guy shows up at camp pounding his chest that he needs to be here with his brothers and then immediately walks that back right when it matters.

Fan is not short for fanatic for nothing. The Burns hate grows stronger every day. Everday Joe's telling a kid whose worked his tail off his whole life that he's doing it wrong. lol

Football is entertainment. And the Huddle has that in spades.

2 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

@mrcompletely11didn't Person report $30 million per year?

Speculation….Person isn’t in the rooms during negotiations. Who do you think leaked that number? The team. They may be asking for 30, panthers only want to pay 24 for example, and they meet at 27. That’s how it works with negotiations and the panthers are trying to get a better deal when they have already played their hand last year. They are playing hard ball with a player who we should not be. We give away the farm for a RB or a backup level QB for years but all of a sudden become a hard ass paying the young talent who has earned it and it a locker room leader? It’s dumb. 

• Pie 1

There are legit arguments to both sides of this, but also other variables we are missing here. What kind of leadership and presence does Burns bring to the locker room? Is he respected, team Captain material?  Does he make players around him better? I think we know the answer to that. 

Burns works very hard, is a true professional and student of the game. He also tends to STAY on the field (don't want to jinx, so I just say that). I don't see this guy being selfish and slacking after he gets paid in that kind of way. His stats have gotten better every season. He is growing the way you hope a player grows. Remember, Burns was a bit undersized when he entered the league, and the expectations were that he grows into the game... well he is meeting that expectation and then some.  I see Brian Burns as a guy that aspires to be (at the end of his career) one of the best DE's in the game and in Panthers history. The rest of how he is measured will speak for itself.

None of us have a crystal ball, we just have to judge a person by the content of his character, and YES, by his performance. I do not see a downside to paying this guy. Does not mean he has to get TJ Watt money, just find a middle ground... no reason a reasonable deal cannot be made here.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Gerry Green said:

Yeah, it's all Burns' fault. Had nothing to do with the QBs he's had to play with. smh

Obviously. 

But please, point to a game where he completely took over and changed the outcome (or even the trajectory) of the game for us. That's what a $28-30 million per year player should be able to do.

Edited by therealmjl