• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: Insight to Brian Burns Contract

Saca312

14 minutes ago, Toomers said:

The 2nd was pick 36 this year. Plus two probable top 10 picks. Which can become any vet star in a trade, without the guarantees from a signing bonus. And if you had room for Burns in the budget, since he’s gone it can go towards replacing him or using at another position. 1 great or two very good vet players. 3 rookie contracts of top caliber players. Or Burns at 28-30M. What’s better for the team. 

Oh I understand the long term benefits. I’m saying a GM (who was already paired with one HC that has been fired) doesn’t typically have that kind of time. Even if we struck gold with pick 36 (2nd round pass rushers hasn’t been our strength see Evette Brown and YGM) it still won’t produce what Burns will.  
Something else to remember is Evero said Burns is one of the main reasons he took this job. If Fitt makes that trade Evero might sign with the Vikings. I think we are trying to put together a good defense paired with a solid running game to help Young his rookie year. Burns being our best defender is a big part of that plan. 

18 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

He used Bosa as an example. Bosa is apparently asking for 34-35 a season. 

My expectation is that new high level edge player contracts will be around 35m a season in 2 years. Making Burns at 28m a steal if he plays the way I think he will in the new defense.  

Yeah I was thinking 26-27 a year and make it a 4-5 year deal. Even playing at his current level it would look like a steal in the final couple years right when Young is signing his big deal.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Daniel Jones just made big money and he was an average QB for one year. As for Goff he signed a 4 year 134 million contract in 2020 and the Lions are working on an extension for him now. At the time that was a premium contract for a QB. 
Burns just finished tied for 8 in the league for sacks with JJ Watt and Crosby. He is trending up and moving to his more natural position with the best DC he has worked with yet. Unfortunately he is going to demand some money. I’m just preparing people that most of these contacts will look bad until the market resets again and new contracts are given to premium pass rushers again. It’s the nature of the beast that is the growing salary cap. 

Best I'm hoping for is 28m at this point. Whatever makes him a dollar more the highest paid Edge for the however few days he'll keep that until Bosa signs.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah I was thinking 26-27 a year and make it a 4-5 year deal. Even playing at his current level it would look like a steal in the final couple years right when Young is signing his big deal.

We have $55M in 2023 dead cap, only $1M in dead cap in 2024 so I'd do it while BY is cheap

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

There is no way Burns is asking for that kind of money lmao.

If anything he's waiting on the Bosa deal and will ask for a little less than that.

Im thinking 25-28 mil a year. 

The article mentions it somewhat that the Panthers offered 24m and he turned it down. That would put him top 5 in edge money right now on aav. 

He is asking for at least Garret money which is 28m aav. 

25 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I'd like you to provide evidence if this insane statement. Other than that's your feelings. 

The Rams offered us 2 1sts and a 2nd for him and the Panthers declined , that was basically writing him a blank check. If he never knew of the trade he might sign for that 24m, now he will be a douche and milk them for every penny he can. They either pay up or take a offer worth much less than the Rams offered. 

25 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I'd like you to provide evidence if this insane statement. Other than that's your feelings. 

The Panthers were offered a 2nd and 2 1sts for Burns. You don't make that offer for any less than what you feel is an elite level player. By turning it down, Fitts showed he values Burns higher than that. That's Bosa trade value and he wants to set the bar for edge rushers. You can't come in and offer less when you've already showed you value him more than that. That's why they're over a barrel. 

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

The Panthers were offered a 2nd and 2 1sts for Burns. You don't make that offer for any less than what you feel is an elite level player. By turning it down, Fitts showed he values Burns higher than that. That's Bosa trade value and he wants to set the bar for edge rushers. You can't come in and offer less when you've already showed you value him more than that. That's why they're over a barrel. 

None of that gives Burns any leverage. 

Burns is under contract thus season, and won't hold out. 

So your circumstantial evidence,  is just your opinions based on  poo. 

Good work. 

The Panthers were never going to get rid of Burns. It's his talent and production along with demand for pass rushers that set his market value. 

He just wants to get as much for his 2nd contract as possible.  He has zero leverage.  He already said he won't sit out games. He knows his production is likely to sky rocket in a 3-4 defense,  only increasing his value. 

He was going to cost no matter how you think this has gone down.  

Elite pass rushers get paid. Am glad we have one. 

38 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

The Panthers were never going to get rid of Burns. It's his talent and production along with demand for pass rushers that set his market value. 

He just wants to get as much for his 2nd contract as possible.  He has zero leverage.  He already said he won't sit out games. He knows his production is likely to sky rocket in a 3-4 defense,  only increasing his value. 

He was going to cost no matter how you think this has gone down.  

Elite pass rushers get paid. Am glad we have one. 

He’s not elite. He’s damn good, but he’s not elite. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1