• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: Insight to Brian Burns Contract

Saca312

3 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Because he is asking to be paid like a top edge rusher and word is that he wants 28-30m a season. 

Word is you taking random info off the street.

Cite some sources on the contract negotiations and I will believe it. Until then we are just assuming he's asking for that.

Also someone said last week he was asking for 25mil.

"Word is" someone is lying...

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Why do you keep saying this?

Also if we trade Burns I have one trade in mind. Call up the Bengals and see if you can get Higgins and a future 1st for Burns. Get Bryce his #1 WR and draft a pass rusher next year.

Higgins AND a future 1st wouldn’t happen. Plus Higgins is about to need a new contract as well. He is a great WR but have Chase draft the top defenses plus a safety every game makes life easier for him. I’m not sure he has the same results as a definite WR1 on an offense.

Now imagine every QB we play having 5 seconds of a clean pocket because we have no pass rush. Imagine Young taking extra hits because we are constantly playing from behind. Burns is still very valuable to this franchise.

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Word is you taking random info off the street.

Cite some sources on the contract negotiations and I will believe it. Until then we are just assuming he's asking for that.

Also someone said last week he was asking for 25mil.

"Word is" someone is lying...

It's in this threads article that he's asking for Nick Bosa money. In June he said he wanted to be one of the highest paid edge players in the NFL.

Edited by carpanfan96
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Higgins AND a future 1st wouldn’t happen. Plus Higgins is about to need a new contract as well. He is a great WR but have Chase draft the top defenses plus a safety every game makes life easier for him. I’m not sure he has the same results as a definite WR1 on an offense.

Now imagine every QB we play having 5 seconds of a clean pocket because we have no pass rush. Imagine Young taking extra hits because we are constantly playing from behind. Burns is still very valuable to this franchise.

Im just entertaining this to make others feel good.

Burns is my favorite player on the team. I hope a deal gets done at the end of the day.

• Pie 1

Fitterer is going to get this done shortly and Burns will get around 26 million per year average. Hopefully it isn't all guaranteed and there is a base around what we want which is 23  and another possible 6 million in incentives for reaching certain levels. A win win. Meanwhile Burns wants it all guaranteed I am sure

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I heard they mentioned a 2nd too but I assumed it was a future pick as well. Where are you getting the $30 million we save right now? Regardless you better hope that 2nd round rookie develops fast or our pass rush will be nonexistent.  Having Young constantly playing from behind isn’t good for his development or health either. Assuming Stafford gets hurt is also a gamble (though a likely one it seems), but Burns rushing the QB with Donald could be a scary combo. 

At the time I was for the trade, but I can understand passing on it. Burns entering his peak as a top 10 pass rusher is worth more to a GM than a 2nd and some future 1sts one and two years down the line. I don’t know how short of a leash Tepper has for Fitt. It’s not too far off from what the Texans gave up for Anderson (who is unproven but will be on a rookie contract). 

The 2nd was pick 36 this year. Plus two probable top 10 picks. Which can become any vet star in a trade, without the guarantees from a signing bonus. And if you had room for Burns in the budget, since he’s gone it can go towards replacing him or using at another position. 1 great or two very good vet players. 3 rookie contracts of top caliber players. Or Burns at 28-30M. What’s better for the team. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Fitterer is going to get this done shortly and Burns will get around 26 million per year average. Hopefully it isn't all guaranteed and there is a base around what we want which is 23  and another possible 6 million in incentives for reaching certain levels. A win win. Meanwhile Burns wants it all guaranteed I am sure

This is the way!

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

He doesn't even have a deal yet, so how does he want Nick Bosa money?

He used Bosa as an example. Bosa is apparently asking for 34-35 a season. 

My expectation is that new high level edge player contracts will be around 35m a season in 2 years. Making Burns at 28m a steal if he plays the way I think he will in the new defense.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

My expectation is that new high level edge player contracts will be around 35m a season in 2 years. Making Burns at 28m a steal if he plays the way I think he will in the new defense.  

Serious question though, if Evero's defense balls out this year, is it not realistic to expect him to be in the running for a HC position? Then it's a new DC and a new defensive scheme. Things can change in a hurry. 

4 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

There is no way Burns is asking for that kind of money lmao.

If anything he's waiting on the Bosa deal and will ask for a little less than that.

Im thinking 25-28 mil a year. 

• Poo 1