• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say this Bryce thing doesn't work out... how far back is the Franchise set?

TheBigKat

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think a lot of folks don't recall Manning in his prime because of how diminished he was at the end. 

Manning in his prime didn’t have a cannon.. 

There was a reason some scouts liked Ryan Leaf more Then Peyton in that draft because Leaf had the cannon and more Physical upside..  Peyton had a above avg arm super intelligence and accurate as hell.. Sorta like hmmmmmm

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, recceice said:

Manning in his prime didn’t have a cannon.. 

There was a reason some scouts liked Ryan Leaf more Then Peyton in that draft because Leaf had the cannon and more Physical upside..  Peyton had a above avg arm super intelligence and accurate as hell.. Sorta like hmmmmmm

Read. I said his arm wasn't elite, it was good. Bryce's arm is average. Peyton's arm in his prime was better than what I've seen out of Bryce. Bryce's arm is in the Mac Jones range.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Read. I said his arm wasn't elite, it was good. Bryce's arm is average. Peyton's arm in his prime was better than what I've seen out of Bryce. Bryce's arm is in the Mac Jones range.

Well that’s where we disagree I put BY in the good arm category and guys like Ridder, Heinkie,  Brook Purdy in the avg. category..

not avg

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think a lot of folks don't recall Manning in his prime because of how diminished he was at the end. 

I was reading his draft profile when I saw the good not great arm strength.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2050587-looking-back-at-nfl-draft-profiles-from-back-in-the-day

Also mentioned was his velocity not being good.  

While athleticism has never been Manning's calling card, he's proven that waffling throws and lack of mobility were no obstacles at all. The ball velocity question seems laughable now, but back in the day it really did pale in comparison to Leaf's cannon shots down the field. 

Here is one for Brady

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I was reading his draft profile when I saw the good not great arm strength.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2050587-looking-back-at-nfl-draft-profiles-from-back-in-the-day

Also mentioned was his velocity not being good.  

While athleticism has never been Manning's calling card, he's proven that waffling throws and lack of mobility were no obstacles at all. The ball velocity question seems laughable now, but back in the day it really did pale in comparison to Leaf's cannon shots down the field. 

Here is one for Brady

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Yeah, Manning's arm was good, not elite.

Brady's arm seemed to get notably stronger over the course of his career.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TheBigKat said:

Last playoff appearance was in 2017 so we are in year 6 of a drought

Let's say hypothetically this gamble doesn't pay off, you have to give Bryce what, 3 seasons? And after that is it a reboot once again?

That would make what, a decade before meaningful Panthers football?

Now I can see why the Browns gave up the farm to get Watson or the Bengals did everything they could to resign Burrow

How will we know if Bryce is a bust or not when he has that group of wide receivers? 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, Manning's arm was good, not elite.

Brady's arm seemed to get notably stronger over the course of his career.

Yeah he lack of elite arm strength and athletic ability is why teams were split over him and Leaf.  There were mentions of him being at his ceiling and overachieving.  Young can zip it when he wants.  I don't see an NFL throw that he can't make.  Regardless if there is a difference it's small (good in the NFL vs average) not at the top of the league and not at the bottom.  Both are somewhere in the middle.