• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A loss to the Saints on MNF would be as bad a start as the Panthers can get.

hepcat

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sorry, but all of this is basically panic talk.

It's year one with a new staff, new schemes, a new quarterback, etc. The idea that this is some sort of time for urgency is just unrealistic and emotion driven.

Demanding that guy's succeed and turn everything around in one year was the MO of a senile Al Davis. That's not someone whosr methods I'd like to copy.

It’s not panic talk. First game of the year was a bit rough and the rest of the division is undefeated. Expecting some results from all the big name coaches they have on the staff isn’t crazy. This is professional football. Big turnarounds happen every single season. Look at the Giants last season. You’ve gotten used to the Panthers futility for too long if you’ve stopped expecting any improvement. 

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I didn’t really want Young. He looked overmatched and overwhelmed against a mediocre Texas defense last season and I didn’t think he was going to be a great pro QB. Alabama as a whole is trending down.

But that’s who we have for better or worse and I hope he succeeds. It’s probably going to take awhile to get the right pieces since he’s the kind of QB that needs playmakers around him to elevate the offense. For a first overall pick I’m not thrilled about that but, again it’s what we have and we can just hope for the best. 

Who did you want? AR looked overwhelmed and outmatched again most teams he played, Stroud looked the same against teams like Northwestern. Check out how Alabama has looked without Young to give you an idea how much of an impact he had in that team.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Who did you want? AR looked overwhelmed and outmatched again most teams he played, Stroud looked the same against teams like Northwestern. Check out how Alabama has looked without Young to give you an idea how much of an impact he had in that team.

Honestly I didn’t want them to trade up at all because the 2024 draft is stacked with QBs and I would have been fine if they signed Darnold or some vet to a 1 year deal and continued to build the roster.

After the trade I guess I preferred Stroud of all of them but none of them really excited me. Young was the safest choice with the highest floor. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

It’s not panic talk. First game of the year was a bit rough and the rest of the division is undefeated. Expecting some results from all the big name coaches they have on the staff isn’t crazy. This is professional football. Big turnarounds happen every single season. Look at the Giants last season. You’ve gotten used to the Panthers futility for too long if you’ve stopped expecting any improvement. 

Look at the Giants this season.

And no, I absolutely expect improvement. I just know that it's not likely going to happen in two games.

Hell, even on a non-rebuilding team, you don't get a genuine sense of how good or bad you are until around mid-season. That's why early conclusions all too often wind up looking dumb.

We don't even have to go that far back to see an example. Just think back a couple of years to when we started off looking like a playoff team with Sam Darnold at quarterback and tell me how that worked out.

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Look at UGA without Bennett. Replacing QBs is hard sometimes, even when you have 4 and 5 star recruits stacked like cordwood.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sorry dude, but the molded statement is just clueless.

There's not a single NFL team out there with all pros of every position. Hell there's not even any out there without at least one week unit. That's the reality of salary cap football with a talent pool spread across 32 teams.

The reality is we went for a franchise quarterback at a time when we believed one was available. Had we not, people would be screaming about that more so than anything else.

We've had the discussion waitinh till next year to get our franchise QB a million times on this board. It's just not a solid strategy.

When one is available, and you have the ability to get them by whatever means, you do it...and we did.

Any suggestion that we should have waited even longer than we already have is, shall we say, not going to be a popular argument.

(nor should it be)

You're still missing the point though

First of all, I basically agree with you in the post that you quoted and responded to the part of my post where I was just pointing out an alternative way to go about the offseason.  Right after that I said we went the other way and I was okay with it because of where I thought the team was at.

So you're arguing with me despite it not even being my viewpoint on the team, kinda odd, but beyond that and the point of what started all of this.....

If they felt the team as a whole was so bad that we'd be giving up a Top 10, maybe even Top 5 pick in this year's draft in that trade, then they wouldn't have made the trade.  Because while us fans have been having that argument forever, this staff and front office haven't.  If they felt the best path forward for this franchise was to trade off a few assets, put a few nice pieces on the board, and look to next year's draft, then they'd have done that.  Fan outrage aside, their job isn't to do what is going to make the fans happy, it's to do what they think is best for the future of the franchise.

But they didn't, the team didn't view this as a rebuild year and they made the moves accordingly.  

Thus we as fans shouldn't be accepting of a poor season "because it's year one of a rebuild" or "because it's a new system"

I don't understand why that's such a hard concept to understand or agree with, but you keep wanting to fight me about this QB scenario that I haven't been advocating for.  All I've been saying is that because we didn't go that scenario, we need to view the season differently and judge it based on how the team views it, because they made all their moves around those views, and that's not one of a rebuild.

Edited by tukafan21

Just now, tukafan21 said:

If they felt the team as a whole was so bad that we'd be giving up a Top 10, maybe even Top 5 pick in this year's draft in that trade, then they wouldn't have made the trade.  Because while us fans have been having that argument forever, this staff and front office haven't.  If they felt the best path forward for this franchise was to trade off a few assets, put a few nice pieces on the board, and look to next year's draft, then they'd have done that.

But they didn't, the team didn't view this as a rebuild year and they made the moves accordingly.  

Yeah, that's all an assumption, and one that I highly doubt is correct.

They went after Young (per their own statements) because they believe and if you don't have the right quarterback, it doesn't matter how great a team you have around him.

Reich's experience in Indianapolis pretty much reinforces that idea.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Look at the Giants this season.

And no, I absolutely expect improvement. I just know that it's not likely going to happen in two games.

Hell, even on a non-rebuilding team, you don't get a genuine sense of how good or bad you are until around mid-season. That's why early conclusions all too often wind up looking dumb.

We don't even have to go that far back to see an example. Just think back a couple of years to when we started off looking like a playoff team with Sam Darnold at quarterback and tell me how that worked out.

I was skeptical of that 2021 start as much as anyone. The easy schedule was a cautionary tale. Sad thing is that was the best start this team has had since 2015. 

The whole point of this thread is that the division teams have started hot and if the Panthers lose two division games to start the season with a rookie QB and first year coaching staff, it will be tough to compete for the division this season. I guess most of the fanbase is saddled up for a 6th straight losing season though. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's year one of a rebuild 

This isn’t how the team has been operating though. If they truly believed this they would have taken the Burns deal. I agree we SHOULD be rebuilding, but the moves we have been making are that we are a “QB away,” and now that we have that guy it’s time to win. Any team who thought they were rebuilding loads up on draft picks and we are literally doing the opposite of that. 

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

I was skeptical of that 2021 start as much as anyone. The easy schedule was a cautionary tale. Sad thing is that was the best start this team has had since 2015. 

The whole point of this thread is that the division teams have started hot and if the Panthers lose two division games to start the season with a rookie QB and first year coaching staff, it will be tough to compete for the division this season. I guess most of the fanbase is saddled up for a 6th straight losing season though. 

You were skeptical of 2021, but you're absolutely certain you know who and what we are based on two games into this year? 

Yeah, sure...

I went into this season with no definitive expectations because I knew the kind of season we were looking at.

A rebuild.

This season is about building a foundation, getting our franchise QB adjusted to the pro level and hopefully learning a thing or two along the way. Any winning we do is just gravy.

To anyone who went in expecting more than that, or especially expecting playoffs or some kind of strong push, I've called that unrealistic...and still do.