• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young hot take

Zod

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is what I'm not understanding from the cope brigade. You don't trade everything we did to draft a QB that needs to be surrounded by an All-Pro supporting cast. 

Come on man.  There is a middle ground between having an All-Pro supporting cast and having what we have.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Look all I'll say is I had my first doubts about Bryce creep in last night. He's getting a full season from me and he'll be back for next year, so I'm going to try not to lose my marbles over this. But the fun part about having a rookie QB is the unknown particularly their floor/ceiling potential. Last night was a rough go at it unfortunately, and my confidence in Bryce & this staff has taken a hit. 

The thing I always struggled with about Bryce was his size obviously, but also how to weigh how "smart" he is vs physical traits. If your QB is "smart" i.e. smartest rookie QB ever, yada yada yada, then he damn well better be Einstein out there with the physical limitations Bryce has. It's clear that while he does process the game well and make reads, he is still limited by hesitation to sling the rock into tight windows due to a lack of confidence and arm strength. 

Then when you look at the other side of the coin in the physical traits side (the other QBs in this draft), then you can start there and slowly build them up to be a "smart" QB. That was always the big question, we went with the "smart", mature, professional QB and I like him a lot, but how good will he be really if he doesn't have above average arm talent, his accuracy dissipates with his confidence, any interior pressure at all will blow up the play due to his size, and one arm from a defensive lineman will take him down a lot of the time. That's what's worrying me a lot right now, and I hate that I'm thinking about this after I wanted Stroud all offseason before switching gears into the Bryce bandwagon. 

Not hopping off the bandwagon, but I have concerns. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Its funny cuz Cj Stroud got knocked for having a great supporting cast....he wasnt supposed to be good without one but he doing just fine so far. 

Stroud and Young have had 2 COMPLETELY different game scripts in their career.  Texans have been down 28-10 and 22-6.  Panthers have had 2 close games.  

Of course Stroud is going to put up better numbers when defenses are just protecting massive leads.  And this isn't to say he hasn't played well.  He has and I like Stroud so this isn't me trying to criticize him.  But look at how his numbers jump in the 2nd half compared to the 1st.  

Panthers have the 30th scoring offense and Texans have the 29th scoring offense.  If scoring is what matters the most, suffice to say then that Stroud and Young are both experiencing massive rookie growing pains.  The difference is the Texans are getting blown out and Stroud is able to put up yards as a result (420 of his 620 passing yards have come in the 2nd half, his QB rating, Y/A, and CMP% all jump dramatically too), whereas defenses play the Panthers tight the whole game.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just think he knows he doesn't have the arm to fit the ball into those tight windows so he's trying to make throws where if he misses it'll be a safe miss and he's just plain missing trying to do that 

I sincerely "hope" you're wrong in your assessment and that Bryce is still a bit jittery as he adapts to the NFL game. "If" you're right about Bryce not being able to make certain NFL caliber throws then we may have made a major mistake in drafting him at #1.

If he really can't make the throws, the DC's all around the NFL are going to start taking away all of the underneath stuff once they realize he can't beat them going deep.

A QB can be intelligent and accurate on his throws and still be a liability if the his arm lacks the zip to throw into tight windows. Chad Pennington would have had a good-great career if not for the arm injuries that robbed him of his throwing power. Unfortunately, Chad got hurt after he entered a the league which makes it understandable why his arm strength declined. Picking a guy who can't make the throws coming out of college is a major whiff by the FO.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I sincerely "hope" you're wrong in your assessment and that Bryce is still a bit jittery as he adapts to the NFL game. "If" you're right about Bryce not being able to make certain NFL caliber throws then we may have made a major mistake in drafting him at #1.

If he really can't make the throws, the DC's all around the NFL are going to start taking away all of the underneath stuff once they realize he can't beat them going deep.

A QB can be intelligent and accurate on his throws and still be a liability if the his arm lacks the zip to throw into tight windows. Chad Pennington would have had a good-great career if not for the arm injuries that robbed him of his throwing power. Unfortunately, Chad got hurt after he entered a the league which makes it understandable why his arm strength declined. Picking a guy who can't make the throws coming out of college is a major whiff by the FO.

Bryce Young can make the throws.  I don't know why that narrative continues to be pushed. 

At the very least, his arm strength is on par with Tua's, and Tua hasn't held back speed demons like Hill and Waddle.

Again, I want to reiterate.  I accept the possibility that Young might not work out.  But some of the things people are saying is way off-base.  Young missing throws in his 2nd NFL game does not mean he can't make the throws.  He absolutely has the physical talent to make throws into tight windows.  

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sure there is but I'm not sure that's a recipe for success given Bryce's physical limitations. You might have to recreate what the Dolphins have built around Tua. Good luck with that.

And that's not even a proven recipe for success.  The Dolphins haven't achieved anything yet, regardless of how good they look in September.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Panthering said:

Look all I'll say is I had my first doubts about Bryce creep in last night. He's getting a full season from me and he'll be back for next year, so I'm going to try not to lose my marbles over this. But the fun part about having a rookie QB is the unknown particularly their floor/ceiling potential. Last night was a rough go at it unfortunately, and my confidence in Bryce & this staff has taken a hit. 

The thing I always struggled with about Bryce was his size obviously, but also how to weigh how "smart" he is vs physical traits. If your QB is "smart" i.e. smartest rookie QB ever, yada yada yada, then he damn well better be Einstein out there with the physical limitations Bryce has. It's clear that while he does process the game well and make reads, he is still limited by hesitation to sling the rock into tight windows due to a lack of confidence and arm strength. 

Then when you look at the other side of the coin in the physical traits side (the other QBs in this draft), then you can start there and slowly build them up to be a "smart" QB. That was always the big question, we went with the "smart", mature, professional QB and I like him a lot, but how good will he be really if he doesn't have above average arm talent, his accuracy dissipates with his confidence, any interior pressure at all will blow up the play due to his size, and one arm from a defensive lineman will take him down a lot of the time. That's what's worrying me a lot right now, and I hate that I'm thinking about this after I wanted Stroud all offseason before switching gears into the Bryce bandwagon. 

Not hopping off the bandwagon, but I have concerns. 

Yes. Exactly this 

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Calling our #1 pick quarterback a "point guard" to anyone that would listen was cringe af and now is even more embarrassing after our first two starts. Holy fug people compared this poor kid to Steph Curry. And spammed poo reactions on anyone that had slight concerns. Yet where are they? Quiet or totally MIA.

This right here. I should know, and its comical these people are know where to be found now. I know football, i know what im looking at and i said this kid wasnt the incredible prospect they made him out to be. Never said he was a bust, but he isnt a guaranteed boom in the league. Got called a troll just for saying that, never been a troll when it comes to football....i just tell the truth and dont care what the masses think. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

yeah,  Reich seems to have no trust in BY regardless of the press conference and half time drivel he talks.

I said it last night during the 1st half. This play calling is screaming "I don't trust me my QB" and I wonder if it's not having an impact on Bryce's confidence. If he's as football savvy as advertised he's not ignorant of this.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sure there is but I'm not sure that's a recipe for success given Bryce's physical limitations. You might have to recreate what the Dolphins have built around Tua. Good luck with that.

I really don't know why you keep pushing this narrative.  Just because he's short doesn't mean he can't make the throws.  Jared Goff has had a very successful NFL career and his arm is about the same as Young's.  Again, a middle ground exists.  No, Young doesn't need Tyreek and Waddle.  But as a rookie trying to adapt to the NFL, he needs something better than Thielen and Hurst.  Is that really unreasonable to ask?

The difference is I am willing to accept that Young may not work out.  I think he will, but I accept it as a possibility.  Whereas, with all due respect because you are a very intelligent football fan, you seem so stuck in your belief that Young doesn't have the talent, so on and so forth.  It is not unreasonable for people give leeway to a rookie QB after his 2nd game in an offense devoid of talent.  Young is not playing all that worse than a lot of No. 1 Picks in similar situations, Goff included.  That does not guarantee he will have the career Goff has had, but in knowing that, it seems foolish to try and put a cap on his potential as you continue to do.

I think Young played bad last night, but I also still see the traits that got him taken first overall.  I can understand if you disagree or haven't seem them, what I mostly disagree with is how you keep trying to cap his potential.  Like "oh yeah he needs an All-Pro supporting cast."  No, he as a rookie just needs better than what he has.

Edited by Mage