• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers' Offense: Some Core Concerns Surfacing Early

Bear Hands

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

it really does come down to that. It's a completely different feeling right now if we have some big time plays. Still we didnt see any... so that hurts. 

Our rushing yds per game is actually ranked #9 overall, but our passing is #32. We are really just 1 or 2 big passing plays away to make a difference, I think that's what's really upsetting. We're so close and yet so far from a winning formula. 

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

it really does come down to that. It's a completely different feeling right now if we have some big time plays. Still we didnt see any... so that hurts. 

Yeah the Olave highlight catch is what changed the whole game.  It was pretty even before that.  

On a side note thanks for your usual rational responses and critiques.  It was a very frustrating game to watch and I'm sure there was a bunch I missed.

• Beer 3

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

@TheCasillas Thanks for the context.  Will no doubt give it some time. 

I'd like to think we can still identify the scheme being applied aside from the extent of what is being implemented within the one we have.  Given what we're seeing, I'm unsure if the playbook at full deployment will be a wide-zone influenced, diversified spread look.  It seems more like his previous offense with some modern wrinkles.   But even Reich at his best, there's less sails and mesh right now (maybe what we're easing in) 

You mentioned you're buzzing out of town but def look forward to your next all-22 look. 

I just don't understand why we hire a bright, young McVay disciple, and then implement NONE of the McVay style of offense.  WTF does Thomas Brown even do day to day?  Reich needs to give up the damn clipboard and get out of his own way - before its too late for everybody.

• Beer 4

58 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

How can someone with such a thorough grasp of the offense be treated with such kid gloves by the play calling and look lost out there?

Because understanding concepts, and executing them in real time with bullets flying are totally different things. He has to get used it it til it’s second nature. That takes time. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, joemac said:

I just don't understand why we hire a bright, young McVay disciple, and then implement NONE of the McVay style of offense.  WTF does Thomas Brown even do day to day?  Reich needs to give up the damn clipboard and get out of his own way - before its too late for everybody.

That’s what I’ve been saying since last night. I still think Reich could be a good coach, but he needs to let Brown call the plays. I remember a noticeable improvement in the preseason game when Brown started playcalling

9 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Our rushing yds per game is actually ranked #9 overall, but our passing is #32. We are really just 1 or 2 big passing plays away to make a difference, I think that's what's really upsetting. We're so close and yet so far from a winning formula. 

That’s shocking. We couldn’t run for poo last night. 

• Pie 2

38 minutes ago, frankw said:

So in a month the narrative has shifted from "it's only preseason it doesn't matter they don't want to give anything away" to "it's only week 2 they haven't opened up the playbook yet"?

There's something very familiar about all this..

That’s what’s pissing me off the most in these discussions. The goal posts have shifted so much it’s crazy. I truly hope the problem is the offense and from the play calling, that sure seems like a distinct possibility. Don’t like the idea of having to start over but the vanilla/just preseason/we don’t want to give away with two division games/he knows everything and is soaking it in/haven’t opened up the playbook comments don’t live in the same world. We’ve gotten contradiction all over the place when the real results are simply a bad offensive effort except for when NO went complete prevent.

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I agree it doesn't look that way on television. I think we just have some chunk yardage on runs but we mostly get stuffed on 1st and 2nd downs. We need to consistently at least pick up 5 yds on 1st and 2nd downs to open up the passing playbook. And i think it has more to do with our interior O-line and not necessarily our RBs, there just aren't any holes to run through. 

Frank needs to wise up and scheme around our weaknesses, he's supposed to be our offensive genius.  

11 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

It’s a bit of a mixed bag. Chubba is averaging 7 ypc, but he only has 11 carries and he has had some longer runs mixed in. He’s played well, but he’s got 1/3 of the carries that Sanders had. Sanders is not doing well on 32 carries (3.6 ypc) and that’s most of the rushes we’ve seen. Also, Young had that one big scramble so his ypc is over 10 and that’s not sustainable.

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Week 8/9 dawg.

If we still look this bad at that point with zero improvement over that timespan then it's time to consider panicking.

My friend it's the Panthers. I put the odds of that ultimately being the end result at 70%. Typically what you see is what you get especially when we look utterly inept and not just rusty. I'll be here regardless laughing at the suckage if such is this case. Humor and trolling is all we have left. I'm embracing it.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is either not the case or we've been fed a line of horseshit this off-season and preseason about how Bryce has been taking over offensive meetings, breaking down the protection schemed for the team on the whiteboard, etc.

I'm tired of hearing about this stuff. I want to SEE it.

You...as I am, are frustrated with the impending 6th losing season in a row. Reality says it will extend to the 7th. Demand all you want but we have a 10 year old driving the car...

32 minutes ago, frankw said:

My friend it's the Panthers. I put the odds of that ultimately being the end result at 70%. Typically what you see is what you get especially when we look utterly inept and not just rusty. I'll be here regardless laughing at the suckage if such is this case. Humor and trolling is all we have left. I'm embracing it.

They just love moving those goalposts further and further back eh? First it was "it's just preseason, everything's vanilla". Then it was "it's only one week, chill out". Now it's "just wait until week8/9". After that it will be "just wait until next year when Bryce has a year under his belt". So forth and so on. Newsflash people, this offense ain't getting no better UNLESS Frank Reich lets Thomas Brown do what he was hired to do.