• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For the Anti-Tankers: Can you provide a legitimate reason that this team should not have tanked last year?

I don't know exactly how this season is going to turn out, but I really can't see this team mustering more than 6 wins. It's hard to watch right now without DJ Moore (our best weapon outside of CMC in recent history) out there and knowing we have no 1st rounder for the next draft. We fired Wilks after the season, so there was no "winning culture, bro" to be sustained. So what exactly was the point of last year? We beat bad teams and got trounced by good ones.

If we had finished the year with Rhule or Baker, we would have either Young, Stroud, or Richardson at no extra cost. And don't tell me about player morale because it isn't looking great right now anyways. Not to mention we are getting laughed for being "fleeced" by Chicago and keeping Burns looks like a horrendous move right now.

I know, I know. "I'm a loser." "Players and coaches don't tank." 

So, can you provide a reason that you would still stand by the anti-tanking mindset?

Edited by Move the Panthers to Raleigh
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 3

Not really. It’s still early maybe? 

But I’m damn near at the end of  my patience. 

It was fun (because Rhule ruined football beforehand) to watch our team compete down the stretch to possibly win a shite division. I enjoyed that. 

As a fan who doesn’t get to pick the players we draft, ultimately I like watching the team get a W every time it happens. So I just try to enjoy the ride. 

Now if we pulled a Texans and lost the first pick by winning the final game…I’d be upset lol. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Not really. It’s still early maybe? 

But I’m damn near at the end of  my patience. 

It was fun (because Rhule ruined football beforehand) to watch our team compete down the stretch to possibly win a shite division. I enjoyed that. 

As a fan who doesn’t get to pick the players we draft, ultimately I like watching the team get a W every time it happens. So I just try to enjoy the ride. 

Now if we pulled a Texans and lost the first pick by winning the final game…I’d be upset lol. 

I get that we were tortured by the Rhule years, and seeing wins is nice. But I just can't get behind it when I know it's not going anywhere. For example, the best case scenario would have been getting destroyed in the first round of the playoffs and having Sam Darnold as our QB going forward. I'm happy with seeing them lose if that means our future would be brighter.

I can understand why fans don't want to see their team tank.  I just don't understand why those fans hate on the ones who do want to see their team tank.

At the end of the day the cream will rise to the top but it was frustrating seeing this team win games for really no reason last year.  We wouldn't have had to lose DJ Moore or a future 1st round pick.  

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

I can understand why fans don't want to see their team tank.  I just don't understand why those fans hate on the ones who do want to see their team tank.

At the end of the day the cream will rise to the top but it was frustrating seeing this team win games for really no reason last year.  We wouldn't have had to lose DJ Moore or a future 1st round pick.  

macho man randy savage GIF

• Pie 1

I'm not for purposefully tanking, that isn't good for team morale, but I've always said that as a fan, I have no problem rooting for us to lose during seasons like that, I know it is what's best for franchise long term.

I can stomach a really bad year or two if I know it's getting us the draft picks needed to turn things around, particularly if it's for a QB.  I almost enjoyed the 2010 season, no, not early in the season, but after maybe 6 or 7 games, I was happier with each loss than I normally am from wins.  At the time it was because I thought it would get us Luck, but getting Cam in the end was totally worth it of course.  

I personally wanted us to keep Rhule for the season because I felt like it would have ended up having a Top 3 pick, which then yea, we take our QB while keeping Moore and the rest of the picks, which would make this season feel just fine right now.

I've never understood why you want to root for your team to win meaningless late season games in lost seasons, you feel good for a day or so but can significantly hurt your draft positioning.  In seasons you're actively building up your team and you're just getting there, like the Lions last year, then it's different, then you want to win them to help build towards the next year, that wasn't us last year.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I get that we were tortured by the Rhule years, and seeing wins is nice. But I just can't get behind it when I know it's not going anywhere. For example, the best case scenario would have been getting destroyed in the first round of the playoffs and having Sam Darnold as our QB going forward. I'm happy with seeing them lose if that means our future would be brighter.

Just thought about this, but just curious. 

If we took the second half of the year team that finished 4-2, with Foreman and the run focus, and just swapped Darnold for Bryce…do we look better right now? 

I don’t know, but it’s interesting (if futile) to think about. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

I'm not for purposefully tanking, that isn't good for team morale, but I've always said that as a fan, I have no problem rooting for us to lose during seasons like that, I know it is what's best for franchise long term.

I can stomach a really bad year or two if I know it's getting us the draft picks needed to turn things around, particularly if it's for a QB.  I almost enjoyed the 2010 season, no, not early in the season, but after maybe 6 or 7 games, I was happier with each loss than I normally am from wins.  At the time it was because I thought it would get us Luck, but getting Cam in the end was totally worth it of course.  

I personally wanted us to keep Rhule for the season because I felt like it would have ended up having a Top 3 pick, which then yea, we take our QB while keeping Moore and the rest of the picks, which would make this season feel just fine right now.

I've never understood why you want to root for your team to win meaningless late season games in lost seasons, you feel good for a day or so but can significantly hurt your draft positioning.  In seasons you're actively building up your team and you're just getting there, like the Lions last year, then it's different, then you want to win them to help build towards the next year, that wasn't us last year.

Right, since we got Bryce this year. I am not on the tank wagon whether we still had the 2024 pick or not. It's time to build up. Some people think we want to tank year after year when you only need to do it if you don't have your QB

1 minute ago, Wundrbread33 said:

If we took the second half of the year team that finished 4-2, with Foreman and the run focus, and just swapped Darnold for Bryce…do we look better right now? 

Bryce is the wrong QB for that kind of offense.  He's supposed to be the mental savant, you want an offense that is passing based so he can do his thing, particularly pre-snap.  That's something you wouldn't get with a run based offense.

That would have been a scary team with AR though, takes pressure off him and add his running ability to the mix, could lead the league in rushing.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I think we do look better with Foreman and Wilks right now, but not by much. DJ would still be gone and we would still have no passing game.

• Pie 1