• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For the Anti-Tankers: Can you provide a legitimate reason that this team should not have tanked last year?

30 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I don't know exactly how this season is going to turn out, but I really can't see this team mustering more than 6 wins. It's hard to watch right now without DJ Moore (our best weapon outside of CMC in recent history) out there and knowing we have no 1st rounder for the next draft. We fired Wilks after the season, so there was no "winning culture, bro" to be sustained. So what exactly was the point of last year? We beat bad teams and got trounced by good ones.

If we had finished the year with Rhule or Baker, we would have either Young, Stroud, or Richardson at no extra cost. And don't tell me about player morale because it isn't looking great right now anyways. Not to mention we are getting laughed for being "fleeced" by Chicago and keeping Burns looks like a horrendous move right now.

I know, I know. "I'm a loser." "Players and coaches don't tank." 

So, can you provide a reason that you would still stand by the anti-tanking mindset?

How does an NFL team tank? How do you convince a bunch of guys to suck on purpose and potentially cost themselves millions of dollars? What would you have done differently last year?

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

How does a team "tank"?

They traded McCaffrey mid-season that wasn't a winning move. 

Do you tell a guy like Foreman on a 1 year deal not to ball out and try earn himself another contract?

Do you sit DJ Moore down for several weeks?

In 2010 the Panthers didn't tank For Newton, Clausen just wasn't a good.

Don't fire Matt Rhule. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

How does a team "tank"?

They traded McCaffrey mid-season that wasn't a winning move. 

Do you tell a guy like Foreman on a 1 year deal not to ball out and try earn himself another contract?

Do you sit DJ Moore down for several weeks?

In 2010 the Panthers didn't tank For Newton, Clausen just wasn't a good.

Again, the team tanking is the wrong way to look at it because the players and coaches would never do it, closest is for a GM to purposefully put together a crap team, like the Cardinals have done this year.

It's really about fans wanting the team to lose and being okay or even happy when they do, because you know it's for the best for the franchise long term.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Big Spurr said:

How does an NFL team tank? How do you convince a bunch of guys to suck on purpose and potentially cost themselves millions of dollars? What would you have done differently last year?

It’s not the players who tank. It’s coaches not putting the best guys out there. Or not putting them into positions to succeed. It’s benching your starting QB just to see what the third string QB has in him. Stuff like that. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Varking said:

It’s not the players who tank. It’s coaches not putting the best guys out there. Or not putting them into positions to succeed. It’s benching your starting QB just to see what the third string QB has in him. Stuff like that. 

What incentives do the coaches have to compile losses on their resume?

For some college kid who could end up being a bust?

• Pie 1

49 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I don't know exactly how this season is going to turn out, but I really can't see this team mustering more than 6 wins. It's hard to watch right now without DJ Moore (our best weapon outside of CMC in recent history) out there and knowing we have no 1st rounder for the next draft. We fired Wilks after the season, so there was no "winning culture, bro" to be sustained. So what exactly was the point of last year? We beat bad teams and got trounced by good ones.

If we had finished the year with Rhule or Baker, we would have either Young, Stroud, or Richardson at no extra cost. And don't tell me about player morale because it isn't looking great right now anyways. Not to mention we are getting laughed for being "fleeced" by Chicago and keeping Burns looks like a horrendous move right now.

I know, I know. "I'm a loser." "Players and coaches don't tank." 

So, can you provide a reason that you would still stand by the anti-tanking mindset?

bubba im not sure how to break this to you but tanking isn't a real thing, neither is santa. sorry your parents never told you...

• Pie 1