• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Average time to throw (Spoiler alert: Bryce is 2nd to last)

LinvilleGorge

22 minutes ago, Samppson said:

Yeah, like he's taking that extra half second to double check/confirm before letting it go, throwing off all the rhythm. I'm sure it didn't help that we lost almost entirely because of those two picks. 

I genuinely think he knows he's in too deep - he's scared to throw the ball into tight windows because he doesn't trust that he has the arm to get it there at this level.

It must be a very humbling experience for him. 

Edited by OldhamA
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Dalton definitely seemed to have a pretty reliable internal clock.  Our pass blocking was awful yesterday, and there were so many passes that Dalton made as he was getting hit within 2 seconds.  I would say he's easily a top 3 NFL back-up.

Then again, an internal clock is exactly the type of thing I'd expect a rookie to need time to get comfortable developing.  If we take a deep breath, take a step back, and put aside emotional arguments about how everyone over-hyped Bryce Young...it's a little wild to be comparing a rookie QB with 2 starts to a 13-year veteran with a pretty successful career, right?  And acting like it's some damning indictment that said 13-year vet looks better than him?  Dalton is definitely underrated on these boards.

• Pie 7

Just now, MasterAwesome said:

Dalton definitely seemed to have a pretty reliable internal clock.  Our pass blocking was awful yesterday, and there were so many passes that Dalton made as he was getting hit within 2 seconds.  I would say he's easily a top 3 NFL back-up.

Then again, an internal clock is exactly the type of thing I'd expect a rookie to need time to get comfortable developing.  If we take a deep breath, take a step back, and put aside emotional arguments about how everyone over-hyped Bryce Young...it's a little wild to be comparing a rookie QB with 2 starts to a 13-year veteran with a pretty successful career, right?  And acting like it's some damning indictment that said 13-year vet looks better than him?  Dalton is definitely underrated on these boards.

Dalton is on his 5th team in 5 years for a reason.

He was an excellent QB, but he's very much a shadow of his former self. For him to look THAT much better than Young has to be concerning for this staff - and I assume Fitterer's wife is already consulting realtors. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 1

6 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

just think back to Andy's last start before Seattle.  He is getting a pretty big bump IMO it terms of how he is being viewed at this stage in his career. 

probably can go bump that gameday thread for a completely different take.  And he is pretty much the same dude. 

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Interesting to se Mahomes and Hurts in the top 10, but I guess if you have time with the better OLs then you can take longer to throw it.  Your boy Howell is challenging Jimmy G for the INT leader in the NFL.  

yeah and he never lost confidence and kept throwing. Bryce looked like he had his soul taken from him after the 2nd bates pick.

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Interesting to se Mahomes and Hurts in the top 10, but I guess if you have time with the better OLs then you can take longer to throw it.  Your boy Howell is challenging Jimmy G for the INT leader in the NFL.  

Yesterday was terrible for him but it was also probably the worst pass protection I've personally ever seen in the NFL. Evidently it was the second highest pressure rate that has been recorded in the Next Gen Stats era (that would be dating back to 2018).

https://x.com/granthpaulsen/status/1706056514627072037?s=20

You can't have good QB play with that.

1 minute ago, DJ feed me moore said:

yeah and he never lost confidence and kept throwing. Bryce looked like he had his soul taken from him after the 2nd bates pick.

The guy is unflappable. If they can fix their protection he'll bounce back. Unfortunately, I don't think they can. They're going to have to scheme around it. More establishing the run to be able to live off of play action. More screens and quick slants. Howell's strength is the deep ball but they're going to have to setup their shots.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yesterday was terrible for him but it was also probably the worst pass protection I've personally ever seen in the NFL. Evidently it was the second highest pressure rate that has been recorded in the Next Gen Stats era (that would be dating back to 2018).

https://x.com/granthpaulsen/status/1706056514627072037?s=20

You can't have good QB play with that.

I'm just looking at the stats you posted.   Stats without perspective don't tell the whole story.  I think Howell will be fine, but just glancing at these stats it doesn't look that way.  

5 minutes ago, DJ feed me moore said:

Continuing to throw picks to the tune of 4 in one game isn't good.  You have to protect the ball also if you are wanting to win games.  I like his attitude, but people can't hype that into a good thing.

• Beer 1

50 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Got to get the ball out fast in a WC offense. Dalton knows the drill. 

This isn't Alabama where you have a top 5 OL and you can run around until somebody gets open behind some Vanderbilt DBs.

ive never seen a QB with less urgency in the pocket than bryce young. Go back and just watch the interception and his feet just stand there. it's like me in my kitchen pretending to be him.

• The D 1
  • Poo 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

just think back to Andy's last start before Seattle.  He is getting a pretty big bump IMO it terms of how he is being viewed at this stage in his career. 

probably can go bump that gameday thread for a completely different take.  And he is pretty much the same dude. 

So he's the same dude as last season who had a ~67% completion rate, a 2:1 TD/Int ratio, 205 YPG, 95.2 QB rating?  That looks pretty solid to me for a back-up QB.  He's basically a Teddy Bridgewater who isn't afraid to take deep shots, which is one of Teddy's biggest criticisms.  I'm not saying he's an elite starting QB.

And if my whole point is that this board underrates him, then what is the point of mentioning how he was viewed last season in the gameday thread?  Yeah I'm sure people were pretty harsh on him, because...he's underrated, that's my point.